main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi/Sith Force power only fighters

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by YamItheonly1, Feb 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YamItheonly1

YamItheonly1 Jedi Youngling

Feb 25, 2015
    Hey guys I have a quick question about the EU.

I was playing in a Star Wars RPG and made a Idiot Savant Force-wielding, Lightsaber dropping Jedi Knight. Basically this character was on the Starkiller spectrum of force power and abilities, but he could barely turn a Lightsaber on without cutting something off. Has there been any characters like this in the EU? I have only really read the Rogue Squadron books, Boba Fett's trilogy, and the Jedi Apprentice series (my character was named after Bruck Chun from those books)

Thanks in advance, YamI

Darth_Dreadwar likes this.
  2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

Some people had great power and no lightsaber training:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kajin_Savaros

Jedi Knight Fett and spicer like this.
  3. Meyerm

Meyerm Jedi Padawan star 2

Aug 17, 2014
    My belief is that how powerful someone is in the force can't be controlled. Force sensitives are born with a certain level of sensitivity that determines their peak potential. Skill and training only determines how much of that potential is unlocked. Certain aspects of The Force Unleashed I choose to disregard, like Starkiller pulling a Star Destroyer out of the sky while Yoda, who was supposed to be the strongest in the force of anyone until Anakin, struggled to do the same with 2 CIS landers. Guess it depends where their area of focus is too. Sages and Sorcerers in Swtor use the force as their main weapon, rarely using their lightsaber.

Out of curiosity, what rpg are you referring to?

4. Darth Dreadwar

Darth Dreadwar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 26, 2010
    I have no problem with Starkiller pulling off telekinetic feats that Yoda could not, Meyerm. I like to think there is a great deal of variance and specialties within Force users, rather than every Force user being the same (only one is level 1, the other is level 10, and so on), which is why I like the Dathomirian witches, Sith sorcerers, Shapers of Kro Var and such. For the same reason, I appreciated the fact that the Halcyons and Horns were terrible at telekinesis, and that Darth Nihilus could drain planets of life yet in other ways be weaker than mere Sith acolytes. Variance!

So Starkiller was good at throwing lightning and moving things with his mind, but in my conception of the character, worse than a Jedi initiate when it came to the more subtle (or even not so subtle) aspects of the Force, such as precognition, telepathy (as opposed to raw mental domination), more recondite arcana, alchemy, and so on. Starkiller was just gifted when it came to powers that incidentally make for good video gameplay, but pretty much any of the less flashy Jedi Masters of the prequel era would have taken him out even if they couldn't move Star Destroyers, and so on. Hence Vader, despite his crippling weakness to Force lightning and no lightsaber, holding off the more powerful Starkiller clone's highly artificially bolstered Force lightning for a good few seconds (and it failing to kill him, unlike Palpatine's much less flashy bolts). Starkiller's actually rather stunted in his growth in the Force; he probably lacks the perception and experience most Force users do, of being connected to the great energy around him, with his experience instead being more like superpowers. No meditation, none of that Force-replicated effects of great luck (that explains the Plot Armor of Jedi heroes ;) ), no precognition, great awareness, enhanced intellect and such, just dumb superpowers, and that's why neither he nor his clone are around for very long when they're up against fellow Force users.

More on-topic... I always was a Jedi Consular who learned Echani hand-fighting in KOTOR II, so I never used a lightsaber, only Force powers. Some of the Dread Masters in TOR are like that, too.

Iron_lord likes this.
  5. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm wondering what Wee Dunn might have been able to do if he'd survived to adulthood:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Wee_Dunn

considering Jacen and Jaina doing similar things at the age of 2 in the Jedi Academy Trilogy is painted as proof of their unheard-of potential.

6. zompusbite

zompusbite Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 3, 2014
    DON4T FORGET THAT IT's game pals. All is "exagerrated":p. But seriously, it was bull....

7. Darth Dreadwar

Jan 26, 2010
    What?

8. zompusbite

zompusbite Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 3, 2014
    As a game , they were obliged to exagerate to make it interessing. There was no respect of the rules predefined by the movies.

9. Darth Dreadwar

Jan 26, 2010
    What game? TFU? This isn't exactly the topic up for discussion, is it; besides, the kinds of powers presented in that game are hardly incongruous with the depiction of the Force in far earlier EU works. In fact, the portrayal is rather tame.

10. Huttslime

Huttslime Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 1, 2015
    Fighters like Volfe Karkko/King Ommin were all powerful force wielders but lacked/were terrible in Lightsaber skill overall. Others like Kyp durron/Darth Traya can only be drawn as skilled by inference, but their feats with the force should elevate them to the status of Force users first and foremost.

11. Orman Tagge

Orman Tagge Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2014
    Odan-Urr is a strong example. Aleema and Satal, also from TOTJ, are Krath, not Sith, but they otherwise fit as well.

12. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Fay in the Republic series is played up as someone who uses The Force, but not their lightsaber, in fights.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.