main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Jedi Snapshots *New story 15/06/06* 'These Boots Were Made For Walking'

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jemmiah, Mar 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mouse2

mouse2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    Jem - ROFLOL!! I knew drinking could be back for your health, but Jemmy never does things by halves does she? ;) Maybe by using Rela as an example Jemmy might cut back a little.

DRINK! HIC! Maybe not. :p

Ish - First, I love finally getting some more info on Rela and her former alcoholism, since it's intrigued me since I started reading ANTAR.

I'm working on that Ish! I swear! I've got a whole trilogy that's about Rela's younger days and her dealing with her alcoholism. Now if I can just get past that brick wall that's blocking me... [face_frustrated]

They certainly do have 'Chumi' working for his food. Maybe that explains why he tends to raid the fridge in the middle of the night when no one is around. [face_whistling]

2. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Oh, good. Rela's one of my faves. And it would make sense for this to be related to Obi's midnight raids. When my dad had me dieting constantly, I'd hide in the basement and eat granola bars.

3. mouse2

Oct 29, 1999
    Thought I'd post this here too. It's a response to the quote challenge but the bunny was definately a JemChron one. ;)

Hell?s Classroom
    by Mouse

Dark hair was slicked back neatly as the professor scribbled something illegible over the holo-board before turning back towards his class. He hadn?t been teaching very long, but that didn?t matter he knew his subject and if his students couldn?t understand it that wasn?t his problem.

?Now class, if you will observe this equation I just put up for you, you will see there is no way you could be able to solve it today. It will take you at least a standard month if you?re lucky unless of course one of you is a mathematical genius in hiding.?

He chuckled to himself at that last statement. Judging by their grades that was one thing he seriously doubted any of his students were. They were mostly kids whose parents had more credits than credit. Looking back up at his class he noticed a small hand raised in the back of the room.

?Yes, er?.? He snapped his fingers in succession several times trying to remember. It was that new redheaded girl. Finally he gave up and looked at the class list on his datapad. ?Er? Miss Sommers is it??

?Yes sir,? she answered in a distracted voice. ?I was just curious Professor Nitwit-?
    ?That?s Nightwhite,? he interrupted in a brisk tone.
    ?Whatever,? she waved off before she continued with her question. ?I was just wondering why you?re giving us an equation that you can?t answer.?
    ?I never said you couldn?t answer it. I said it would take you at least-?
    ?No sir, you can?t answer it. I mean it has no answer, but if you happen to square the four then the answer would be six.?

Professor Nightwhite stared at the small creature with the wild red hair open mouthed that caused some of his other students to start giggling.

?You?re new aren?t you? Why are you in this class Miss Sommers?? he asked angrily.
    ?They didn?t know where else to put me,? she answered honestly.

His neatly slicked hair began to fall in a chaotic fashion so he didn?t look quite as put together as he had been presenting.

?You don?t belong in this class either! This is mathematical physics you have to at least complete applied mathematics!?
    ?I have sir,? her voice sounding quite strong for her size. ?And before you accuse me I didn?t cheat either.?
    ?You cannot talk to me like that, what are your parents? names.?
    ?Seth Sommers. He?s a Corellian businessman,? she threw him a wink letting him know what the term ?businessman? really meant.

The room suddenly became warm for Professor Nightwhite and he tried to nonchalantly loosen his collar. He began to wind his way though the maze of desks in the class room until he came to the small redhead?s desk. Bending down he whispered to her.

?You know you?re going to Hell, right??
    ?Oh yes sir!? she answered almost cheerfully. ?But I hear it?s a dry heat so I should be okay.?
    ?Yeah, so physicists can't go to hell or else they'd set a heat engine up. That's why you all want to learn this carefully -- just in case,? He told her seriously.
    ?That?s good!? she told him. ?It?s always good to be prepared.?

~~~~~

8 years later

Disheveled brownish hair with wide streaks of grey running though it topped the head of the professor who was in the process of furiously scribbling something unintelligible on the overhead holo-board. Turning around he surveyed his class. He was quite relieved to have given up teaching at that private school. He was wasting his time teaching those younglings who couldn?t care one way or another whether they knew the subject or not.

He, on the other hand, loved his subject.

Older students. That was the way to go. Students that were serious about the subject as well as having to personally pay for it out of their own pockets. That did wonders for the education system.

?Now as you can all see I?ve written an equation up for you,? he said addressing his class. ?All you have to do is be able to solve it before you are finis

4. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    *snrk* OKay, three generations of that nightmare. So funny!

5. Jemmiah

Jemmiah Jedi Master star 5

Mar 5, 2000
    ROFLOL!!! [face_laugh] love the x3 menace of poor Master Nitwit, especially the way he conned himself into shouting out the wrong name! And Simon's explanation of why Corellian's don't go to hell was fantastic! I'll bet his Auntie Jemmy told him was going there! Actually, I decided to tie this into the latest diary entry, so thanks for the idea! :)

6. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    LOL, this is all great.

7. mouse2

Oct 29, 1999
    Thanks Jem and Ish! I had more fun writing it. This was one of those bunnies that I'd had forever and just couldn't get written. Then I got my quote for the quote challenge and it kick started my brain again. :p

Plus I figured that Jemmy would love giving her 'nephew' a good natured hard time. ;)

8. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    I loved it Mouse, it was hilarious....can't wait to get a kid like that in one of my clases - not :p

Kithera

9. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Heehee...

10. mouse2

Oct 29, 1999
    LOL!! Thanks Kit'!

Sure you want a student like Simon! He has his mother's mischievousness yet his father's innocent look, which means he can get away with anything! [face_whistling]

11. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Oh, I had a kid in my sunday school class JUST like that and I wanted to slip his parents birth control before they could do it again!

12. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Foundling, Part 3

"Poor little guy..."

It was surprising to hear G'emela use the phrase "little guy" instead of "cheeky whelp" or "son-of-a-Sith", but that was not what caught Qui-Gon's attention.

It was the fact that she was exhibiting signs of severe compassion.

Immediately, his eyes met hers so he could check for the dilated pupils that would prove that she was ingesting narcotics. Then, his hand pressed to her forehead, but there was no fever to scald his hand.

All right, so the girl was in perfect health, so what was wrong with her?

Having abandoned the traditional means of diagnosis, he frowned. "What makes you say that?"

"I'm not sick," she pronounced, "but he's burning up and coughing something dreadful, so undoubtedly, the first place he'll see at the Temple is the Healer's."

Qui-Gon sighed heavily. "He came back under my charge," he reminded. "It's a wonder he doesn't have the Promeus Plague by now!"

"Don't tempt fate!" she interjected sharply. "It tends to listen to your suggestions!"

He turned in his chair, looking back towards the passenger bunk. "Is he awake?"

"No," she assured him. "I told him a bedtime story."

He blanched automatically, remembering the well-meaning child who had once told him a bedtime story that had kept him awake for the next three nights.

"Not the Redrum one," he pleaded.

"Master!" she exclaimed. "How could you even think such a thing of me? Do you think I learned nothing in the last ten years?"

Chagrined, he looked away. "Sorry, Padawan," he said genuinely. "I apologize for having so little faith in you."

"It's all right," she said dismissively. "I told him the Green Tisane one instead."

He didn't remember the particulars, but it somehow involved selling your soul to the Sith and spontaneous combustion.

It was going to be a very long trip back to Coruscant.

"You didn't."

"He was grinning the whole way through," she said triumphantly. "I doubt he understood half of it, but he even mouthed the word BOOM!"

Typical. The first reaction they'd been able to get out of him other than tears or a soft whine when he was hungry and it was an indication of bloodlust.

"I have the feeling this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship," he observed mournfully.
    "Name?"

"Obi-Wan Kenobi," Qui-Gon supplied.

"Age?"

"22 months."

"Complaint?"

"High fever, cough, and strange-looking boils in the last day."

The Padawan immediately moved her chair as far away as possible from the squirming child in Qui-Gon's arms.

"I'll get An-Paj," she said hastily.

"Good idea," Qui-Gon sniffed impatiently.

"You can take Exam Room 5," she called over her shoulder. "Try not to touch anything."

He carried Obi-Wan down the hall to the examining room, then settled on the table and found a tongue depressor to entertain the boy.

The child had just discovered the imprudence of sticking it in his eye when An-Paj arrived, looking, at best, wary.

"He's not yours, is he?" the Healer asked, point-blank.

"Not to my knowledge," Qui-Gon replied with a slight smile. "Why?"

"I hear he has an affection for food and he is spending his first day at the Temple in the Healer's Ward. If he's not yours, he simply bears an uncanny resemblance."

"Enough of the comments," he growled. "He seems to have come out in boils."

"Yes, I can see that," An-Paj said drily.

He placed one hand on the boy's head, gauging the fever and the extent of the disease.

"Hmm," was all he would say.

"Hmm what?"

"Any record of vaccinations?"

"Not to my knowledge," Qui-Gon admitted. "His parents were killed and he had only been in the village where we found him for a week when they met their end, so he didn't have much of a history as it was."

"Well," An-Paj said patiently, "you received the innoculation for Pakupox just before leaving the Temple. Therefore, you had an active virus in your bloodstream that could be airborne, but you had developed an immunity to it. Apparently, he was susceptible

13. mouse2

Oct 29, 1999
    "YUM!" ROFLOL!! I should have known that would be Obi's first word! It certainly explains a lot!

:eek: Just realized her 22 month hurrican's first word was 'Uh oh!' I think I'm in trouble...

14. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    *Snrk* I was tempted to have Obi-Wan yell "Takkini!" instead, but that would make no sense.

15. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Mouse, I could have sworn I responded to Hell's Classroom. Poor Nitwit... didn't stand a chance with those students in his class.

Ish... wonderful story of OBi-Wan coming to the temple and loved the first use of termite!

16. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Glad you liked termite there. I had fun teasing little familiarities into the story.

17. Jemmiah

Jemmiah Jedi Master star 5

Mar 5, 2000
    Lol, Ish! I love Qui-Gon's "Why does everyone say that?" in response to him taking after him! If only he knew what fate had in store for him down the line. Now we find out why Qui didn't want to take Obi as his padawan. It had nothing to do with fearing another Xanatos style betrayal: he was afraid that Obi would eat him out of house and home! :D And yes, he IS a termite! :)

And now for something completely different...

Never What They Seem
    By Jemmiah

"He hit me."

She said it in a tone of voice that suggested total disbelief, as if the idea was beyond comprehension. Trembling hands vainly attempted to hide away the dark, ugly bruise that ran from eye socket to cheekbone, puffed up and angry from the force of the blow that struck her. Sat against the wall of the spare room, cowering like a scared Nerf, Jemmiah had pulled her legs up close to her chest as if to make herself as small and as unnoticeable as possible. All she wanted at that moment was to vanish from sight. She'd even contemplated hiding herself in the wardrobe except that on reflection she didn't feel there was a space small enough or dark enough that would do justice to her misery.

Obi-Wan had found her, of course. She'd never really doubted that he would.

He'd sat himself down beside her wearing an expression she could only have described as 'deeply troubled'. It wasn't so much the oft-worn frown, or the thin set of his lips that betrayed his own feelings, but the bleak look in his eyes. There was none of the usual amusement or glee to be found within that unwavering, cool blue gaze. The cream-clad arm swathed in a loose-fitting Jedi sleeve snaked itself around her shoulder in a show of brotherly support but Jemmy found herself too preoccupied to notice much.

"I don't understand?" She swallowed, feeling her stomach tightening further into a hardened knot. "What did I do??? Why did he do it?"

"You didn't do anything." Obi-Wan tightened his grip upon her shoulder. "You must believe that."

"But?he hit me." If anything the voice became even more incredulous. "I?I was trying to help him and then he?he just?" Jemmy closed her good eye tightly shut, as if trying to eradicate the memory by squeezing it away.

Obi-Wan nodded. "You were in the wrong place at the wrong time. He's sick, Jemmy. The fever made him behave violently. That wasn't the Qui-Gon we both know and admire. His actions," he said with some uncertainty, "were not those of a man in charge of his mind. The illness made him strike out at random. You were unfortunate."

But Jemmiah was adamant, her voice wavering yet defiant. She could recollect every move and twitch that Qui-Gon had made, playing the moment over and over in her head: the way he had struck out at the attendant healers, throwing Gethin to one side as if of no consequence?and how he had struggled against them as they had fought to apply the restraints on his arms. Maybe it had been stupid of her to think she could achieve what they could not. Perhaps it had been arrogance to assume that Qui-Gon would listen to her but she had been afraid that they would hurt him and had acted only out of love?

"He looked at me!" She growled back at Obi-Wan. "I pleaded with him to calm down?and then he stopped dead. He stared straight at me!" Her hand automatically went back up to her eye, remembering what had occurred next. "His eyes were so?full of hate! I've never seen him look so angry before. But he knew?he knew what he was doing. He smiled at me before he?" Jemmiah swung out her arm in a motion that replicated precisely what Qui-Gon had done. "I was trying to help!"

"Jemmy?" Obi-Wan began to say, only to be cut dead.

"Don't tell me he didn't mean it." Her voice became impossibly low, the bitterness causing Obi-Wan to wince. "What about all the things he said? Things that were spoken on purpose to hurt you! He knew exactly what would upset you!"

And they had upset him, even if he was unwilling to admit it. His mast

18. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Ack! I didn't think I'd want to strangle Qui-Gon first thing on a Monday morning, but haven't those poor kids been through enough with him? I automatically got mad at whoever it was who hit Jemmy, then realized who it was and *headdesked*. I assume this is from that infamous stranded-and-psycho Qui-Gon fic that is yet to be written.

19. mouse2

Oct 29, 1999
    Qui-Gon, I can't wait for you to get better. Then I won't feel so bad kicking the living poo doo out of you! :mad: [face_beatup]

Sick or now how DARE you hit Jemmy and say those things to Obi-Wan! [face_shame_on_you] It's going to take a lot of work to get them to trust you again. And boy are you going to have to work hard. Blood, sweat and tears for a loooooong time!

20. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Jemmiah--Lol, Ish! I love Qui-Gon's "Why does everyone say that?" in response to him taking after him! If only he knew what fate had in store for him down the line. Now we find out why Qui didn't want to take Obi as his padawan. It had nothing to do with fearing another Xanatos style betrayal: he was afraid that Obi would eat him out of house and home! And yes, he IS a termite!

Forgot to reply to this. LOL, yes, he was afraid of having so little to eat after Obi-Wan's efforts that he'd have to raid Yoda's larder! Glad you liked the everyone thinking Obi-Wan took after him.

21. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    I feel very deeply hurt for Obi-Wan and Jemmiah. This was certianly a side they'd never seen of Qui-Gon before and that in itself should give them some assurance it is his being ill that had him behave in such an unlikely way. I can just see how badly this will affect him as well when he's of a right mind.

22. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Yes, definitely, though I can also see that after the remorse has set in, there could be some serious kickbacks of what he has to do to regain their trust.

23. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    He will be far more sorry then they will expect. Plus, this is probably one of the things Jemmiah uses later in life to get her way.

24. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Exactly, I used to demand things like lemonade or a rootbeer float or a restraining order...

25. Tanith

Tanith Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 13, 2003
    Oops, been a while since I've posted, so appologies to anyone who's stories I miss out.

Mouse - I love the ongoing maths problems. I didn't recognise Rela's name in the first scene, but as soon as you described her and her maths skills.... snrk, poor teacher - just goes to show you can never put one over on Rela or any of her family (how cute is Simon in this :) )

DarthIsh - Chumi-Wan - how apt [face_laugh] Nice to see more of the Gmela/Qui-Gon back story

Jemmiah - Hi. Oh dear - I hope that wasn't personal experience of bad hangovers talking. Though I seriously hope you've never tried to sell Calam's kidney's to get home ;) I thought it would have been one of Qui-Gons possessions, just not that personal a possession [face_mischief]

Good luck with the fanfic awards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.