Before Jedi Snapshots *New story 15/06/06* 'These Boots Were Made For Walking'

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jemmiah, Mar 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    YEEAAAAAAAAAAGH! Heehee...
  2. PadawanKaterina Jedi Knight

star 2
    DarthIshtar:

On Your Heads:

"He'll never notice."

Yeah right, that's what they always say. ;)

They exchanged uncertain glances. "Wildlife control?"

Master Windu scowled at Ana. "Is that an answer or a question?"

"Answer, sir," she stammered.

"Well, don't cower like a bunch of Padawans," he snapped. "Get it back in its cage."

At Mace's scowl who could blame them for cowering? :) o_O

Jemmiah:

Dex, Lies & Holotap:

He laughed weakly, aware of the outraged presence that was stalking him from across the room. Dex looked back over his shoulder.

Beware the wrath of Mace! [face_skull]

Not Your Typo:

Ah, hello. I believe this is Master Jinn I have the pleasure of addressing? This is Finis...I've just been debating whether we should table a motion in the senate as to whether to ask for additional funding to unstick Lena's keys. I consulted my fellow politicians and there was an overwhelming majority in favor so you'll be glad to hear that your ladyfriend will soon be up to speed and error free. I know what a nuisance this sort of thing can be, and I can assure you that the whole sordid affair will not go any further. Just leave the brown package filled with 500,000 000 Republic dactari with my receptionist.

Your incorruptible friend,

Finis O. Valorum

That one's my favorite. [face_laugh] I screached so loud my family came from the other room to see what it was about.

Meditation is Not a Dirty Word:

"You will meditate on the importance of meditation."

Oh, my. Poor Obi. That is so Qui-Gon. :rolleyes: :)
  3. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
  4. PadawanKaterina Jedi Knight

star 2
    1) UP

2) Please! Someone write something! Please!
  5. Jemmiah Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    The Truth, the Whole Truth and Nothing but the Truth?By Jemmiah

"I'm glad to have you both back." Jemmy looked up from her drawing pad, chewing the end of a stylus held firmly in her right hand. She'd been sketching both master and padawan as they'd sat down to eat the light supper she'd left out for them on their return. Weeks without Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan's were always terribly worrying times, although with Evla looking after her perhaps the pain had lessened slightly, but nonetheless the happiest moments in the young Corellian girl's life was on being reunited with her beloved co-guardian and his apprentice. And Obi-Wan in many ways was more like a brother than anything else?at least how she'd always hoped Todd might have turned out had his life been spared.

Qui-Gon looked across the table at her. "I'm glad to be back." He replied honestly. "Evla tells me you've been behaving for once?"

"Hey!" Jemmy scowled at him. "I always behave! When have I ever not behaved?" She stopped for a moment to put the stylus down, thinking a little more on what she had just said. "From a certain point of view." She added defensively.

"It appears to be catching." Qui-Gon shot his uncomfortable looking apprentice an ironic glance. "Very well, you are on the whole a well behaved child."

"Thank you!"

"She also seems to think you spent most of the time worrying about the pair of us." Qui-Gon frowned reprovingly at her. "I thought I told you there was no reason? It was a protracted and highly dull series of negotiations. The only danger we were in was from the chef?"

"Made me positively homesick for the temple refectory." Agreed Obi-Wan through a mouthful of salad.

Jemmiah glanced at the pair of them, disappointment warring with her happiness at their safe return.

"So you didn't do anything exciting?" She asked, slightly deflated. "I thought you got to do things?fight injustice and right wrongs and that kind of stuff? What's the point in carrying a lightsabre if you don't get to use it?"

"Oh," Obi-Wan's cheeks dimpled, greatly amused at Jemmiah's enthusiasm for all things Jedi, "it's not always interesting. By that I mean," he added swiftly lest Qui-Gon think he were ungrateful for being selected as his padawan, "it's not all last minute rescues and tales of derring-do. There are rarely princesses to rescue or Draigons to defeat." He drummed his fingers on the table surface. "There happens to be an awful lot negotiations and talking and sitting around?and yet more talking."

"But you must get to see so much!" Jemmiah insisted, chin nestling comfortably on one palm. "How many planets have you visited since you became a padawan? How many different kinds of cultures and races have you met? Think of all the different types of food you've eaten! All the unusual species of creatures?"

"Usually the creatures were the food." Obi-Wan smirked, earning himself a frown from his young friend. "But I take your point. To you it must seem such an exciting life?but to us it's a way of life: the means to an end. We can admire a view or a pretty landscape as much as the next person but we have to be subjective: it's not the reason we're there."

Jemmiah seemed slightly disappointed by his dispassionate account of all their travels but then, he reasoned, she was seeing things through fresh, incredulous eyes. She was ten years old and had visited only three planets in her lifetime. One of them she could barely remember. The second she didn't particularly want to remember, so grim was her association with it?and the other she had called home for the past half year. For someone who was afraid to set foot outside the temple precinct the notion of travel and visiting distant places must have seemed little short of a fantasy?one she could visit only in the words of her friends.

He was determined not to spoil the Corellian child's dreams of exciting worlds and strange, exotic planets. Well, if nothing interesting had happened in reality there was always make-believe to fall back on, something far
  6. PadawanKaterina Jedi Knight

star 2
    1st! *happy dance* [face_dancing]

Then again, what was Dex Berlingside's excuse? The man who declared that mirrors wept for joy at the very sight of his own reflection?

[face_laugh] Haha! I'm going to use that one of these days.

"But of course," answered Jemmiah impishly, "It may not be much to go on but its a material witness!"

Perfect punchline. [face_laugh]
  7. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Hmph, stupid,blind old lady desk sargent, what does she know of ugly! And sassy padawan as well, his idea od making it plausible, right, just to make himself look better. Oh my, that was just perfectly delightful. LOL One lie begets another and they were only doing it because they wanted the best for each other. Wonderfully amusing fic Jem. Really helps take my mind of that Saga snapshot which is far too perfect for Halloween. I find myself still disturbed by the whole thing.
  8. TheLurker Jedi Knight

star 1
    Beautifully done. I loved the puns...they are so my kind of joke :D

~Rhi
  9. Jemmiah Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    The Myth of Perfection
    By Jemmiah

Exquisite flaxen hair: that was the first thing that had struck Qui-Gon as he'd allowed his eyes to linger over the figure dressed in cream coloured padawan robes. Wonderful, gloriously alive filaments of a fine, light gold colour that spiralled from a simple bronze clasp at the back of her head?flighty strands that caught the gentle morning breeze and swept to the right of what appeared to be a swan-like neck. Somehow he'd known she would be beautiful even before she had turned around to face him.

For a while he'd been content to delight in her from a distance in the same way one might admire a work of art in a gallery and then, finally, after weeks of thinking about her - wondering what he might possibly say -he'd summoned the courage to speak to her.

She was divine. There was no other way to describe the girl. Yes, she was beautiful: elegant and tall with a regal posture that smacked of the aristocratic, but more than that she was knowledgeable, gifted and powerful. It had soon become apparent that she knew it as well, for she had a goodly opinion of herself and an unfortunate way of making those less gifted appear unworthy of her company. It seemed that divinity came at a price.

Her name was Sal-Fina Falmar. Qui-Gon had known it for years, although rarely had he been in her close company for any length of time. There was over five years between them in age and the young woman had always had her own set of equally classy, opinionated friends. The name Sal-Fina had always conjured up images of a thin, somewhat spoiled child with an almost lanky, leggy appearance and deathly pale skin. Now, whenever he gazed admiringly upon her, he could see grace instead of wiriness. The pallor remained, but had been transformed from fragility to a picture of captivation.

Qui-Gon had been prepared to overlook Sal-Fina's faults, such as they were, in an attempt to recognise what lay at the root cause of them. There were times when she smiled that he gained the impression she wanted only to scream in anguish: the cold grey eyes as chilling and unforgiving as a winter's day on Hoth?

Qui-Gon disliked seeing people unhappy. He hated mysteries. Sal-Fina represented the greatest mystery he had ever attempted to understand.

Yet others were less understanding or willing to see beyond the beautiful, if shallow surface of the young padawan: people who he considered to be his best friends would shake their head in despair, or stay well clear of the affair. Sal-Fina was like a finely sculpted ice statue: exquisite to look at but cold to touch.

"And likely to take the skin off your fingers when you do get too close." Confided Dex Berlingside to Qui-Gon as they had walked around the temple gardens one evening, the latter so utterly frustrated by everyone's lack of understanding that he had sought to calm himself with a late-night stroll. "Or melt all over you when you apply any heat."

Qui-Gon had said nothing, but the thinness of his lips betrayed his annoyance.

"I'm not saying it to be unkind, my friend." Dex clapped a sympathetic hand on the taller man's arm. "Ultimately you will do whatever you feel you need to do, and it's not my place to interfere with that. My opinions are not exactly important?but," he added with a note of caution, "that doesn't stop me from having opinions in the first place. Or anyone else for that matter."

Jinn gave a cold little laugh. "Oh, believe me: their opinions have not gone unspoken. My own master has urged me to be cautious, although he has stopped from outright condemning my friendship with Sal-Fina. Her master does nothing but complain about me?how I'm an unwanted distraction to her pupil's studies."

"And so you are." Shrugged Dex. "You know your major flaw, Qui? You're so serious about everything! There's no sense of having a little fun or being content to take things slowly. It's little wonder that the masters are concerned, really. You throw yourself into everything with such vigour that it scares people. Maste
  10. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Grrrrr..... I need not tell you reading Qui's thought on.... grrr Sal-Fina are hard to swallow.

While I'm all for Qui-Gon compassion, Dex is right about the nuts. :D :D

11. PadawanKaterina Jedi Knight

star 2
    "I care about my friends. I care about you: hellfire, I even care about Mace! Although I'd be grateful if you didn't mention that to him."

Lol. I want to rat him out to Mace. [face_mischief]

Whenever he looked at her he got the feeling of constant anxiety twisting like a knife in the girl's stomach, or a pent-up, despairing scream waiting to be released, but never was. She was all too aware that however powerful she might be, she would never be good enough for Master Lee. The woman had as good as ruined her, as a Jedi and a person.

That's an excellent description. So touching, I can just feel it. Poor girl. :(

Brilliant story all around! =D=
  12. mouse2 Jedi Master

star 4
    First off The Truth, the Whole Truth and Nothing but the Truth? C'mon Qui, think of it as 'creative storytelling'! ;) They both had a grain of truth to their stories, and you should be proud that they can both think so quickly on their feet. Think of it as "A certain point of view 101'. [face_whistling]

As forThe Myth of Perfection... to paraphrase Healer Leona; 'Ain't that the truth'. But as much as we (I) dislike Sal-Fina, I can't help but feel slightly sorry for her. She never had a chance. While I commend Qui for wanting to help her (it's the begining of that pathetic lifeform habit he's got ;) ) I think I'm going to have to go with Dexy on this one.

Fabulous snapshots Jem!!
  13. Jemmiah Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    In Other Words?By Jemmiah

Obi-Wan sat at the table, tray immediately before him and fork in one hand, wondering if the refectory cuisine was some kind of personal judgement against him. It seemed unlikely on the face of things considering that nearly every Jedi in the eating area wore expressions reflecting similar doubt and distaste, unless of course the whole temple was under a curse of some kind. It was nice not to suffer alone, he thought with a sigh, pushing his plate further towards Jay Abran who was seated opposite from him, but mass suicide was not an option he found appealing. Instead the padawan did the only thing he could and replaced the fork in amongst the congealed grey sludge that masqueraded as some kind of stew.

"Not eating?" Jemmy piped up, swinging her feet back and forth beneath the table. "I'll tell Qui-Gon! You know how likes to make sure you eat regular nutritional meals."

"This," Obi-Wan indicated the squidgy mess on his plate with a slight curl of the lip, "is not nutritional. Nor is at a meal. I'm not actually certain what it is, although I'm thinking of taking it back home and filling in that crack in the ceiling with it?"

"Somebody will eat it." Jay remarked with a shrug, his grey eyes glinting with sly amusement. "Just leave it on your plate. The temple cooks just scrape it all off into a big vat and heat it up again the next day. What you don't eat now you'll definitely get again later on in the week in some shape or form." Abran grinned, revealing a fine set of delicate white teeth. "This," he stabbed his index finger at the offending foodstuff, "was probably what we decided not to eat last weekend so if you can't tell what it is now you'll definitely not stand a chance the next time it's recycled?"

Jemmiah pretended to gag. "I hope that's not true." She shuddered. "I don't eat here often. Now I remember why."

Simeon Cates, armed only with a simple glass of water, seated himself down next to Obi-Wan.

"Why don't we forget food and go to the infirmary instead?" He asked self-importantly.

Obi-Wan and Jay looked back at Simeon, then at each other. The looks on their faces displayed a certain degree of enthusiasm for the idea that Jemmiah found to be utterly astonishing. Obi-Wan had an intense dislike of the infirmary, purely because he was very often reduced to the rank of patient on the ward given the amount of accidents he'd found himself involved in down the years. Simeon worked in the temple infirmary! Why he would want to spend any more time there then he ideally had to was totally baffling! And as for Jay, brave as a Wookiee he might have been but even he had been known to flinch at the sight of a needle?

"Sounds like an admirable idea." Obi-Wan answered warmly. "It's been at least a few days since we were there, don't you say?"

"It might even have been a week." Agreed Jay, likewise deciding to push his plate to the side. "No doubt the food will be better. And if the company's predictable it's certainly never tedious! Will your masters let you go?"

Jemmiah drummed her fingers repeatedly on the table. She may have been young but she was certainly not stupid: she could smell a vrelt at six paces, especially such a dubious one. Whilst she acknowledged the fact she was in the company of fairly accomplished fibbers and truth stretchers Jemmy could tell by the uncomfortable way in which Obi-Wan slouched, the slightly mottled and splotchy colours spreading across Simeon's face and the way that Jay scratched nervously behind his ear that something out of the ordinary was being attempted.

"Er?hello?" She demanded, tugging on Obi-Wan's braid to gain his attention. "What's going on here? What's so special about the infirmary? Why on Coruscant would anyone want to go there? I thought you detested the place?"

Obi-Wan shrugged. "Not detested, exactly. Just plain fed up with it, seeing as how I always seem to end up there with monotonous regularity."

"But the infirmary's full of strange people and sadistic weirdoes
  14. Jemmiah Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  15. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    "But the infirmary's full of strange people and sadistic weirdoes." Jemmiah frowned.

"Hey, I happen to work there!" Simeon regarded her with wounded eyes.

"I know."

You can always put a smile on my face. :D :D So they went out drinking... succumb to an inevitable accident then wound up in the infirmary anyway? That is so Obi!! [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

16. mouse2 Jedi Master

star 4
    ROFLOL!! [face_laugh]

Now that was classic! I can just picture all the blood running out of Qui-Gon's face, while Jemmy has a self-satisified Corellian smirk on her face.

But she's right, and next time I think they'll let her go with them. ;)
  17. Layren Force Ghost

star 5

"The infirmary?" He echoed. "What happened? Is he alright?"

"A small accident, so Simeon said. But you don't have to worry about him now because he's not there any more."

"Good." Jinn's posture relaxed fractionally. "And where is he now?"

The Corellian smiled back at Qui-Gon.

"He's in the mortuary." She replied with a wink.

[face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

That was so priceless!
  18. PadawanKaterina Jedi Knight

star 2
    "The old folks home." Simeon smirked. "I like that one, that was Obi-Wan's idea.

So that's where it came from... :p

The 'infirmary' was my idea. After all, when your liver needs recharging where else should you go but the infirmary?"

[face_laugh] I love it.
  19. Jemmiah Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    A Happy Ending?
    By Jemmiah

(A follow up story to 'Never What they Seem')

"Why come here every day, hmmm?" Yoda asked, his stick tapping against the ground as he walked. "To hide?"

Jemmiah regarded the lively green eyes and expressive, wrinkled face for a moment. She didn't have to answer Yoda: she realised that he already knew the truth. If there was one being in the galaxy to whom lying was utterly pointless then it was he: the Jedi temple's most revered and long-lived master. He saw her heart and could quite probably read her thoughts if he had a mind to do so.

Well, her heart was heavy enough as it was, and as for what she was thinking?

"Hiding, nothing it achieves." Yoda continued, this time allowing some determination to colour his words. "Find peace here you will not. Confront your fears you must, if move on you wish!" He lowered his voice fractionally, sympathetic to her concerns. "Frightened you are. Of what Master Qui-Gon has done. Of what he might do still?"

Jemmiah nodded slowly. She'd be sitting by the ornamental fish pool for some hours, staring at the ripples on the water's surface and the glorious red and silver coloured fish that broke the surface every so often, feeling comforted and soothed by the simplicity of her surroundings. Columns supported the large ceiling, creating a shady and peaceful sanctuary enhanced by the gentle sound of running water from a nearby fountain. Sometimes Jemmy envied the fish: they had such a tranquil life. Dull and boring perhaps; but safe from those who might do them harm. In the end, that was all that Jemmiah wanted in life.

And to be loved.

She'd never really given the thought much credence before. The few people she had cared for invariably disappeared from her life, usually in unpleasant and brutal circumstances; but then Qui-Gon and his padawan had come along and turned everything on its head. As a child the idea of loving someone was almost scornful: now it seemed important?vital even. Without love there was nothing, only emptiness. Jemmiah did not want to go back to that way of life again.

Then Qui-Gon had ruined it all when he had struck her.

It had surprised her how angry she'd felt. Deep down she felt sure that he hadn't meant what he'd said and done and, just as An-Paj had been quick to reassure her, that his actions were purely down to the fever from which he had suffered. Yet his words of cold disdain for Obi-Wan had made her blood boil. The bruise on her own face was gradually beginning to fade, like her own fury, but still it lingered by way of a reminder of what he had done. It felt like a betrayal of her love for him; that he had chosen to cast her to one side with a swat of a hand like she was some annoying insect.

Maybe?maybe deep down he didn't love her. Jedi weren't supposed to love, after all. But she had loved him. The thought of an unfeeling, uncaring Qui-Gon tugged inside at Jemmiah's chest until she thought her heart might break.

"Listen to him, you should." Yoda prompted when Jemmiah did not reply. "Hear him you must. For your own peace of mind, as well as his. Regret what happened he surely does. Know my former padawan well, I do."

"But what if?" Jemmy began uncertainly, not wishing to cast aspersions upon someone who had a better understanding of Qui-Gon's character than she herself had. "I don't know if I can trust him anymore."

"Then trust your own feelings you must." Yoda replied sagely, shuffling round so that he could see her better. "Trust the will of the force. Listen to what the force demands of you."

"I don't have the force." Jemmiah shook her head, utterly confused. "I can't hear what it's telling me!"

"Nonetheless, understand it you will when the moment arrives." Came back the cryptic reply. "And know how to act. A second chance you were given at the temple, when those who sought to send you away backed down. Understand you they did not! But in time, come they have to see their mistake. Fought for you Master Qui-Gon always has. Like
  20. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    I wholly loved the reconciliation because Jemmy being so sweetly selfless was wonderful. *sigh*
  21. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Sithly you are Jemmish, I'm solemnly reading, feeling so bad for all involved as Yoda relates the stories of the pool and then...

Relieve himself in the pool: Master Windu that was?" [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Awww, now you made me cry, right at the point where she hugs him. We all sometimes just need a hug to know we're okay, cared about even... :(
  22. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    Title: Strange Bedfellows
    Characters: Ana and Li
    Timeframe: 12 years pre-TPM
    Summary: New friendships can form in the strangest of situations.
    As near as she could tell, the girl was alive, but it was hard to tell. She was lying on her back, eyes staring blankly at the ceiling, and she hadn't moved since Li had woken up. She might have been breathing, but under all those bandages, it was pretty hard to tell.

Li could see hair that might have been a dark red, but had obviously been unwashed for some time and the eyes staring into oblivion were a dark blue.

Stretching as far as she could, she extended a finger and poked the girl hard in the side.

From the agonized shriek that resulted, this was probably a bad idea. This was confirmed by the fact that the mystery girl whacked her squarely in the face in the next moment.

"Hey!" they both chorused.

"What's the big idea?" the girl snapped.

"I thought you were dead," Li shot back. "There was only one way to find out."

"Yeah," the other snorted. "You could have asked."

"And if you didn't answer?"

"I don't think that's any of your concern."

They lay in parallel silence, fuming under their breaths and each one refusing to look at the other.

"What are you in for, anyway?" Li demanded.

"I nearly died," the other girl snapped. "I wish you'd do the same and leave me alone!"

"I did, too."

"I'm sure," the other scoffed. "What did you do, have a bookcase fall on you?"

Obviously, this one was of the variety that called her "library leech."

"As a matter of fact, yes," Li responded. "I've broken both legs, two ribs, and my right arm and I'll be here for another three days."

There was a grunt of dissatisfaction. "What have I done now?" Li burst out.

"I'm going to be here for three days," the girl lamented.

For a long moment, they were both silent, considering the consequences of this, then Li rolled onto her good side.

"Liara Khe," she introduced herself.

"Ana Majav," the other replied. "I was burned with a lightsaber, blinded, orphaned..."

"Is it permanent?"

It was probably a stupid question, since Ana would probably think she was asking about her parents, but it was the only kind of concern that she could possibly muster that wasn't on the order of "that's too bad."

"I'll be able to see as soon as they strengthen the eye muscles," Ana recited. "They don't want to do that until I've rested some more, because I'm too stubborn to stay put."

Li nodded sympathetically before remembering that she wouldn't be able to see her.

"Does your Master come to see you?"

Another bad question. Ana fell silent once more, eyes still fixed on the ceiling. At last, after a long moment, she said quietly, almost in a flat voice, "My Master is the one who did this to me."

For a moment, she tried to picture her own Master being that cruel, but she couldn't even imagine Jocasta Nu that way, much less the fun-loving Fione.

She had seen an older man come to visit the girl and she couldn't picture him doing that either.

"But surely the Council knows..."

Ana nodded. "He convinced them that I was going to turn to the Dark Side, so they suspended me from the Order and let him take me away. When they realized what he was doing to me..."

Orphaned usually meant that their Master had been killed. Whatever had happened when she was found, it had done that to her.

"My father was my Master," she pressed on, as if verbalizing it would make the emotional wound heal, "and my mother was the Jedi sent to face him. He killed her, then tried to do the same to me, but I fought back and killed him."

It was one of those moments when no amount of sympathy could even begin to apologize for what her new friend had faced, but Li did what she could as it was.

Reaching over, she took Ana's hand in her own and passed over her portable music player.

"I have the complete work of Patches," she offered. "Want to listen?"
  23. mouse2 Jedi Master

star 4
    Great! That's all I needed! Something else to make me cry today! :_| *sigh* But I love that little green troll. He always knows.

So that's how Ana and Li met! Poor Ana! She's already been through too much. It's amazing how friendship can be made through seeing who has the worst injuries and sharing some tunes.

Great post Ish!
  24. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
  25. Jemmiah Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Aww, Ish. That was heartwarmingly sweet at the end. I love getting back story to the characters we've created. But it seems that it was a destined meeting from the start, :) Well done!

Mine's not so much a story as a prologue to most of the chronicles, so forgive the dryness of it! :)

New Beginnings
    By Jemmiah

He hadn't been normal. That was what people had said about the child.

Tethrys was a sparsely populated planet new to the ranks of the Republic: a small but highly prized little world with recently discovered resources hidden within its rocks and minerals. Rich in precious stones and gems, it had not taken the Republic long to recognise its true wealth, or ratify its request to join the ever-swelling number of worlds huddled, protected and cherished beneath its banner like a Tooni chick under the wings of its mother.

And so those invited by the Republic to help extract and exploit the riches hidden deep beneath the surface joined the original inhabitants of the planet. It was an uneasy alliance at the best of times, with suspicion and resentment abounding on both sides. As the Tethryn population started to dwindle over the passing decades those native to the planet began to feel increasingly isolated from the Republic incomers, their simple, peaceful way of life eroded by the technological wonders that the Chancellor had granted them. It appeared that being part of the Republic was a double-edged sword.

When the child had been born - the product of a hasty and much frowned upon alliance between Tethryn and settler - things began to go from bad to worse.

The Tethryns were not ill educated or particularly primitive, even if their plain way of living seemed very much out of step with the rest of the galaxy. It was merely the fear of the unknown that had driven the infant's family to take the terrible step of abandoning their offspring: they knew nothing of the force, or of the Jedi, let alone what a midichlorian might be. From the start the unwanted babe had lain in its crib, watching with the world go by with an unsettlingly knowing look quite inappropriate for a tiny, wriggling child. Objects would suddenly launch themselves off the wall and start crawling inexorably across the floor towards the toothless, smiling baby: his open hand and tiny pink fingers almost beckoning them towards his grasp. Toys once left happily on the shelf in the evening would mysteriously find themselves in the crib in the morning.

It was just not normal.

Aejja, barely seventeen at the time, had not wanted to give the child up but her father had insisted that it was for the best. Whatever devil had spawned the child, its offspring was not to be given houseroom. And so the baby was left, as in the tradition of their ancient religious books, on the mountainside to perish: exposed to the elements so that nature might reclaim its own.

The child however refused to die.

The cold did not seem to affect it at all. The dog-like Reynis creatures that foraged and scavenged in the woods for food refused to attack the whimpering infant, and whilst the heartbroken Aejja was forced to watch and wait for hunger to take its toll on the child, something unseen seemed to be sustaining him: keeping him alive where others before him had perished.

In the end it had been too much for Aejja. She had fled to her one-time lover and confessed the child's existence, and begged him to do something before it was too late.

Aejja's father, impatient yet suddenly afraid of the child who refused to die, had attempted to speed matters up by constructing a pyre to purify the creature of the devil that surely existed within it. Even as the flames had licked around the wicker cot the child had not seemed particularly concerned, which most took as a sure sign that there was evil at work.

Then enter the Jedi: the dark-furred Togorian with the gleaming eyes and his apprentice, the headband wearing Corellian with a dreamy expression that suggested he'd really rather be somewhere else (or maybe already was in
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.