main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi Spirits

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi_Darth_Kane, Nov 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Darth_Kane

Jedi_Darth_Kane Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 10, 2002
    I know in one of the EU books Obi-Wan shows up to Luke and tells him that that is the last time he will ever be able to come to Luke again. I was just wondering why that was and did Yoda's Spirit ever visit Luke after Obi-Wan stopped? Sorry if I'm bringing up something thats been brought up before, but I really don't have the time to go look for it. Just wonderin'. Peace guys.

2. Esplin9466

Esplin9466 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 27, 2002
    Not after Ben became one with the Force, but once between Return of the Jedi and Heir to the Empire. Marvel #92: "The Dream."

3. master3bs

master3bs Jedi Youngling

Nov 5, 2004
    The meeting with Obi-Wan is in Heir to the Empire by Timothy Zahn.

I anticipate learning more about the spirits in EPI III.

4. Jedi_Darth_Kane

Jul 10, 2002
    I know what book that meeting with Obi-Wan was in, I read that book in 8th grade, I'm a freshman in college now. Nobody is answering my question, I'm asking why is it that Obi-Wan's spirit can no longer be with Luke, I don't remember too much about that book, just that Obi-Wan says he can no longer come to Luke. I'm just wondering why that is. Thank you.

5. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    It's in Heir To The Empire.

Um...from what I remember, Obi said something to the effect that he'd waited too long as it was, and had to leave.

6. Jedi_Darth_Kane

Jul 10, 2002
    Who waited too long for what?

7. 7-7-7

7-7-7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 15, 2002
    Obi-Wan waited too long to "pass on" to the next world, or to permanently become one with the Force. It seems that the stage where some Jedi appear as Force-Ghosts is an intermediary stage between this life and whatever concept of the afterlife exists in the GFFA. Certain individuals are able to exist for a short period of time between life and death, refusing to leave the physical world and pass on into the next. Obi-Wan was a particularly hard individual to convince to move on into bigger and better things, and stayed around for a full nine years after his death.

The Sith Lords, on the other hand, or at least the most powerful among them, seem incapable of passing on at all, and spend an eternity in the condition between life and death. Perhaps there is some sort of cutoff point, say ten years after one's death, where the individual is no longer capable of passing on into the next world and is trapped for eternity as a disembodied spirit, or a ghost.

8. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    7-7-7:The Sith Lords, on the other hand, or at least the most powerful among them, seem incapable of passing on at all, and spend an eternity in the condition between life and death.

That is interesting. I wonder, when Exar Kun was vanquished by Luke's students at the Academy, where did he go? If the Sith Lords cannot pass on into the Force and are between life and death, then where are they "Vanquished" to? Do they just cease to exist?

I was also wondering, are Luke and Leia the only Jedi who have seen the ghosts of Jedi? Or have others been visited by "Ghosts"?

AG88

9. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Dark Woman hologramed herself to Vader seconds after her alleged death.

10. Pellaeon-Firke

Pellaeon-Firke Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    I was also wondering, are Luke and Leia the only Jedi who have seen the ghosts of Jedi? Or have others been visited by "Ghosts"?

Andur Sunrider visits Nomi in TotJ, I believe.

11. Esplin9466

Esplin9466 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 27, 2002
    That is interesting. I wonder, when Exar Kun was vanquished by Luke's students at the Academy, where did he go? If the Sith Lords cannot pass on into the Force and are between life and death, then where are they "Vanquished" to? Do they just cease to exist?

I believe so. Exar Kun and Freedon Nadd were "killed" after they had already died, so I think it's a fair assumption that no one, be they dead, alive, or something else, will ever see them again. Ever.

12. Pellaeon-Firke

Mar 2, 2004
    Bah. Marka Ragnos's Force ghost > everyone else's Force ghost.

13. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000

[i]I was also wondering, are Luke and Leia the only Jedi who have seen the ghosts of Jedi? Or have others been visited by "Ghosts"?[/i]

Andur Sunrider visits Nomi in TotJ, I believe.[hr][/blockquote][/b]
    Ulic, on the other hand, ain't truly returned in any palpable sense -- he imbued a holocron with a constituent neurological "essence," but this was similar to Bodo Baas's later archive "inhabitation." Synaptic pathway recording, nothing more.

14. Pellaeon-Firke

Mar 2, 2004
    Ulic, on the other hand, ain't truly returned in any palpable sense -- he imbued a holocron with a constituent neurological "essence," but this was similar to Bodo Baas's later archive "inhabitation." Synaptic pathway recording, nothing more.

1. Ain't is the wrong quasi-verb for there, I believe.
    2. I was under the impression that the Gatekeepers of Holocrons *were* Force ghosts, not just programmed personalities.
    3. Am I the only person who gets Vodo and Bodo confused?

EDIT: As to the above number 1, ain't might be correct if returned is a participle (right word?), i.e. an adjective formed from a verb.

15. HandofSkywalker86

HandofSkywalker86 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2004
    When does Leia ever see a force Ghost?

Wonder if Luke will become a force ghost after his departure.

Hand

16. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    I thought Leia saw a vision of her father in Tatooine Ghost.

17. Pellaeon-Firke

Mar 2, 2004
    Leia sees something odd that could be a Force ghost in TG, and sees Anakin's ghost in TaB.

18. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000

[i] Ulic, on the other hand, ain't truly returned in any palpable sense -- he imbued a holocron with a constituent neurological "essence," but this was similar to Bodo Baas's later archive "inhabitation." Synaptic pathway recording, nothing more.[/i]

1. Ain't is the wrong quasi-verb for there, I believe.[hr][/blockquote][/b]
    Nahh, not if if you're speaking to the present-tense period of the SW universe. Nothing truly imparsable there, except that the "cause-effect" occurring up there would probably create subject-verb-object participial structures. It's quite commonplace, these days.

(Although, any dictionary with the two words "Webster's" and "Collegiate" in the title is automatically suspect, and likely to be little more than a slapdash compendium of current usage. The Oxford English Dictionary is often correct, however, and a check will disclose that verbing "ain't" is, while frowned upon by purists, acceptable to some.)

[blockquote][b][hr]2. I was under the impression that the Gatekeepers of Holocrons *were* Force ghosts, not just programmed personalities.[hr][/blockquote][/b]
    Simulacra mainly, going by the visual appearance of Ulic's Rhen Var holo in the [i]Clone Wars[/i] game, with the scan-lines and such. Although...it's [u]possible[/u] that Veitch's intent was for Bodo's spirit proper to dwell within the holocron, but given certain recent evidences, this isn't a one-hundred-percent thing.

[b][blockquote][hr]3. Am I the only person who gets Vodo and Bodo confused?[hr][/blockquote][/b]
    Nope. You're not a unique flower petal. [face_raised_brow] (Sweeps me back to 1995.)

19. Pellaeon-Firke

Mar 2, 2004
    1. See my edit. What I originally thought you meant was "hasn't truly returned," when what you meant (I think) was "isn't truly returned," so ain't would work.

2. Interesting. So, if I understand you right, you're saying that the Force ghost and the gatekeeper can be separate, with the gatekeeper being a copt of the Jedi and the ghost being the Jedi. That correct?

3. Good to know I'm not alone.

20. Dante_Glass

Dante_Glass Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2004
    Kyle Katarn was visted by the jedi Rahn and then later his father.

21. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    Not a prob, Firke -- caught your reference too late, turns out. But I see what you mean. As for the gatekeepers, they're intended to be AI constructs, but more than a fair bit of nascent Force-ishness goes into their construction.

Surprised Callista's gone unmentioned up to now. And didn't Echuu Shen-Jon put in an appearance in Galactic Battlegrounds?

In the Black Sands of Soccoro RPG module, a Jedi died and his spirit subsumed into a portrait, which manifested on occasion. Not the same thing, per se, but still.

Arca Jeth also returns to Ulic in a blizzard during Redemption, if I recall correctly.

22. Pellaeon-Firke

Mar 2, 2004
    And didn't Echuu Shen-Jon put in an appearance in Galactic Battlegrounds?

Hmm, been so long since I played that I don't remember. I don't think so, though.

What's the Sith in KotOR? Ajunta Pall? He's another Sith who's spirit still lurks.

23. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Adjunta Pall did indeed hologram himself, but not for long with me. :D

24. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    Echuu appears to Leia after being killed in battle, and sends her on a mission to recover some crystalline shards.

Ajunta Pall manifests to Revan during the game; Freedon Nadd likewise put in some PR work with Queen Amanoa and Exar Kun at various points.

25. Veisrea

Veisrea Jedi Youngling

Nov 11, 2004
    I know that Lucas has said that the line in ANH from Obi-wan "If you strike me down I shall become more powerful than you could possiblely imagine." Holds the key to everyone asking about why Ben became a ghost and Qui-gon didn't. He said that this will all be explained in the final chapter.

I just want to know how they are going to fix the inconsistanties in the EU. When you have books like "I, Jedi" saying in that letter that Corran finds about how they couldn't deliever the body of the fallen Jedi Master because "as you know Jedi Master's bodies dissappear after death" or something like that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.