main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Jedi Steps- Symbolism and Discussion

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by tokilamockingbrd, Dec 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tokilamockingbrd

tokilamockingbrd Jedi Knight star 4

May 12, 2015
    I believe that when Rey climbed up those steps was showing her choice to become a Jedi. Rey's offer of the Saber to Luke was her asking him to train her. We assume he says yes, but I think this will be a point of tension in EP 8. He will not want to repeat the mistake he made with Ben Solo. You can feel the tension in the track....

As to the scene in TFA.
    It is one of the best pieces of cinematography I have ever seen. I am listen to Jedi steps on the soundtrack right now as I type. It is top 6 SW all time. Behind Star Wars theme, Lukes, Leia's, Empire, and Vaders only.

2. Trikuza23

Trikuza23 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 10, 2015
    Episode 8 will for sure feature a lot of force training and jedi/sith mythology and stuff. Kylo will be completing his steps while Rey starts them. Can't wait to see what the jedi temple has in store.

darklordoftech likes this.
  3. BOBA-FETT-82

BOBA-FETT-82 Jedi Grand Master star 1

May 19, 2002
  4. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    I think I must be the only one to think that Luke looked a little bit pissed to see her. Like the guy who wants to get rid of his dog so throws a stick over a cliff for the mutt to fetch, only for it to return a few days later.

5. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
    All I could say is Chewie should of parked at the top

LANDO_ROCKS likes this.
  6. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    I don't think the World Heritage Trust would have allowed it. ;-)

7. Hoth Chocolate

Hoth Chocolate Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 21, 2015
    I'm hoping for a Rey/Kylo training montage a la Rocky IV. [face_mischief]

Darth Downunder likes this.
  8. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Also, it's been confirmed that Obi-Wan whispers to her earlier in her Force vision: "these are your first steps" ;)

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/20/jj-abrams-reveals-obi-wan-and-yoda-are-star-wars-force-awakens

Winged_Jedi and Mr_Thompson like this.
  9. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    It's my favorite sequence in the saga.

10. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Agreed, it's perfect.

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  11. Mr_Thompson

Mr_Thompson Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 28, 2014

That's actually really cool

12. Qotsisajak

Qotsisajak Jedi Padawan

Oct 23, 2015
    This was my favourite scene in a film filled with great scenes. The absence of dialogue not only enhances it (as in previous episodes we can see the dangers of over-exposition), but is in-line with how effective visual storytelling is through the film. With that in mind, what gets me are the expressions on both Luke's and Rey's faces there. I feel the lack of dialogue is also inviting us to fill in the silence with our own interpretations. We know how story cycles work, that Rey will undergo training to become a Jedi, the new protagonist of this trilogy, etc. But that look in her eyes makes me ask:

How much does Rey really want to go through with this? What's going through HER mind, rather than what the story needs her to be?

Was it determination we saw in her eyes? Like she's ready to do this. She attuned herself to the Force to fight Kylo Ren, but she's smart enough to know what she doesn't know, is looking to Luke to help her.

Or was it defiance? When she first saw the lightsaber and had the visions, she actually mentioned she never wanted to see it again. It took Finn to fall in battle before she was willing to wield it. In that case, her motivation isn't to be a Jedi, but to simply be able to fight so that no one else has to die. This makes her the reluctant hero, which I also like.

Or was she, in fact, denouncing Luke? From what we see of her, she has an incredible sense of responsibility. BB-8 was getting captured near her patch of the desert, she rescues him. She's afraid he'll fall in a sand pit, she takes him in. She was offered 60 food packets for him, she turns it down even though that's a lot of food packets. She finds out he belongs to the Resistance, she is fully dedicated on returning him even when things are falling apart. She finds his lightsaber, even though she hates the thing, she returns it to him. To see through her slightly angry eyes, I can sense that she's looking at Luke like, "You sat out this whole film and now my friend is comatose, because he was there fighting with your sword and you weren't. Take it and do something!" Please note I'm not mocking Luke, he's awesome, but I'm trying to see from another perspective.

Or was she just, so done with all this? The speed with which she took that lightsaber and thrust it in front of her was very interesting body language, like she wanted Luke to just take it so she can wash her hands of all this. We all know her story is just beginning, but maybe she doesn't want to admit that. She didn't have an ideal life, but at least it didn't involve everything blowing up around her until BB-8 showed up on her doorstep, and I could see her hoping that by giving the lightsaber back, her task was complete and she could just go on adventures with Chewbacca.

None of these scenarios diminish the impact of her gesture. I found it the most moving scene in the film as soon as her satchel opened, as she has so much to say that she can't find the words. But it's one I'm still thinking about as I don't think it's anywhere as clear-cut as how stories like this should go. IMHO, at this moment, I don't think she's very happy about having to do this.

Sarge and clinteastwoodbradfield like this.
  13. CnlSandersdeKFC

CnlSandersdeKFC Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 22, 2015
    To me that final teary eyed stare they shared was the final piece of evidence I needed to conclude beyond a doubt that Rey is Luke's daughter.

14. Obill-Wan Cuppobi

Obill-Wan Cuppobi Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 2, 2014
    I agree. I think all we need to know about who Rey is is in that scene. I still wouldn't bet against her being a Solo, but my money's on Rey Skywalker.

15. ReyPrescott

ReyPrescott Jedi Master star 3

Oct 3, 2015
    He did look... idk... mad? whatever it was it wasnt "mah bby gurl"

16. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    Luke's face broke my heart. (In a good way.)

I have no doubt he felt the deaths caused by Starkiller, and the death of his old friend. And then who turns up but his long-lost daughter, carrying his old lightsaber. That's the Will of the Force at work. He knows what he has to do. He knows that he is destined to live the life of Obi-Wan before him, to be betrayed by a loved one, and to train the next generation to fight them.

That's why it would be so fitting if he and ghost Obi-Wan converse in Episode VIII. Like Yoda did. Not verbatim, but I can imagine references like:

Luke: "There's much anger in her. Like her cousin."
    Obi-Wan: "Were you any different when I taught you?"

17. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    I
    really hope so too. :)

18. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I wonder what planet this scene occured on.

Mungo Baobab likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.