main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Jedi Tales: The Origin of Palpatine UPDATED Ch12 Pt1 27/11/06

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jedi_Sharoes, Nov 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Sharoes

Jedi_Sharoes Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2004
    Hi everyone, I'm new here and this is my first post on the TF.N site ever! I've been reading and addicted to J W Titus's Episode III novel on the 3SA forum. On there, there have been a number of requests for Titus to write a novel describing the back story of Senator Palpatine. I think he's a bit busy with his current novel so I felt inspired to have a go at writing my own novel, dealing with this topic.

I'm a British Star Wars fanatic and have read most of the EU novels (except the NJO which I didn't enjoy), and the Dark Horse graphic novels, which have informed my conception of the novel. So any errors, etc. let me know but be kind! I haven't read much of the fan fiction on here, surprisingly perhaps, so if something does crop up - any similarity or whatever - it really is accidental so please let me know and I'll change the text accordingly.

I'm aiming to write a full length novel and will post chapters as and when they're completed. Obviously this will take a while.

I'm actually starting with Palpatine's parents as there are obviously plenty of people involved in this story apart from the man himself and their tale needs to be told as well. So wait patiently and Palpatine will appear! The novel will describe the period from the events leading to his birth, his training as a Sith apprentice, right up to the deal he makes with the Trade Federation.

So I hope you enjoy it. Let me know what you think! Please be kind as it's the first fictional writing I've done since I was at school. Any suggestions for improvement cheerfully accepted!

Title: Jedi Tales: The Origin of Palpatine
    Author(s): Jedi_Sharoes
    Timeframe: Approx. 60-70 years before the Phantom Menace
    Characters: Belo Palpatine/Darth Sidious, Darth Plageuis, Yoda, and a range of OCs and PT characters.
    Genre:
    Keywords: Darth Sidious, Sith, Darth Plageuis, Dark Side
    Summary: An origin story for Emperor Palpatine, starting with who his parents were, how he was born, escaped the notice
    of the Jedi, how he was found and trained by the Sith, up to his rise to becoming the Dark Lord of the Sith.
    Notes: Aiming to be novel-size in length, may take some time to tell!

2. Jedi_Sharoes

Nov 9, 2004
    PROLOGUE

?No!?. Too far away to act, all Roshna Palpat could do was scream out a warning but it was too late. In the middle of the battlefield she saw him fall, slain in one swift stroke by the Dark Jedi they had been sent to capture. Her life, her plans, her very meaning was all gone in less than a second. All reason gone, she felt her anguish and heartbreak swell through her body, a wave of pain too strong to resist or control. The Force boiled and flowed through her, something she could not identify within it took control of her, possessing her. Staring at the Dark Jedi, oblivious to the chaos around her, she raised her hand towards him. Unable to contain the strange energy within her, she directed all of her pain towards its cause. Unsuspecting of the assault and unable to prepare for the blow, the Dark Jedi was thrown hard against the side of her ship, the sickening crack of broken bones ringing out across the hangar. Pinning him against the ship, the wall of Force pressed hard against him. Unable to stop herself, unable to control her actions, desperately wanting to be free of her pain she continued to direct it against him. Slowly but surely, the Dark Jedi unable to resist the pressure, his bones cracking, his body being flattened, his organs failing, the Dark Jedi died ? No longer contained within a physical body, the Dark Side energies exploded, taking the ship, the hangar wall and her partner?s body with it. As the explosion ripped out to consume everything within its path, the pain in her also reached to its deafening crescendo, supplemented by the impact of shards of debris from the blast, growing to the point where she could stand it no longer and thought she would explode. She opened her mouth to scream ? and woke.

3. Jedi_Sharoes

Nov 9, 2004
    PART I: THE FALL OF ROSHNA PALPAT

CHAPTER ONE

It was a bright morning and Roshna Palpat stood before the Jedi Council in the circular Council Chamber, far above most of Coruscant. A tall, slender Alderaanian Jedi of 30 standard years, Roshna was a striking woman. Long red hair fell to her waist in plaits, in the Alderaanian style, her vivid blue eyes swept over the familiar faces of the twelve Masters who sat before her. She was popular in the Jedi Temple, and until her recent return from the confrontation with the Weequay Dark Jedi Dar Rashihi on Ord Mantell, she had been known for her smile, her easy manner and the many humorous stories she told of her travels and experiences during her service in the Jedi Order. She was also a powerful Jedi who, despite her formidable skills in the art of combat, was most fascinated by the past, present and future, and since she had faced the trials and become a Jedi Knight, was often to be found in the Library, or in the company of the Senior Jedi Historian, Kar Brehan. It was he who spoke first.
    ?Roshna, we are indebted to you for finally defeating Dar Rashihi and I must express our sympathy for the loss of your colleague in that mission, Jedi Master Belo Tarn. You were close friends were you not??. Kar Brehan, a Zabrakian Jedi spoke gently, sensing Roshna?s loss.
    Roshna sighed, ?Yes, Master Brehan, we were. We had flown on many missions together, Belo and I. I feel a great loss when I think of him. I find the fourth precept of our code, ?There is no death, there is only the force? very difficult to come to terms with?. Inside, Roshna shuddered. It was very hard to discuss something so personal and so painful with the whole Council like this.
    ?You have spent time with the Healers, have you not?? asked Kar Brehan, again in the same, gentle tone.
    ?Yes. I am very grateful to them for the help they have given me. However, both Master Healer Neehu and I feel that only with time and meditation will I be able to come to terms with ? with this?. Roshna?s voice broke and she stopped, not wanting to lose control in front of the watchful eyes of the Council, knowing they would be able to sense her emotions anyway. She felt very exposed and just wanted to run and hide from their gaze.
    ?Very hard it is, the first time you lose a colleague. Painful indeed, when the bond is close between you. Concerned for you I am, my former Padawan. Sense your sorrow we do. Your mind is not focused as a Jedi?s should be. Time and meditation you need to regain your calm?.
    With a ghost of a smile flickering on her face, Roshna turned to face her former Master, Yoda. Of all the Jedi in the Temple, he knew her best and she was grateful for his words.
    ?Yes Master Yoda. I need time, that is why I have come to you with my request for leave from active duty. I need time to recover ??. Roshna stopped and dipped her head, unable to articulate further her intense desire for calm, to run, to hide from the events on Ord Mantell, where she had lost so much.
    ?Hmmmm?. Master Yoda closed his eyes, deep in thought. Roshna and the Council waited for him to speak. Though all of the twelve Council members were equal and decisions had to be supported by all of the Council, Master Yoda was an ancient, wise and powerful Jedi, with a powerful gift for divining the future and its possibilities. Although Master Vilier Rekarti was the official Head of the Council, most Jedi knew that decisions were rarely made without his advice or approval. Finally, he spoke.
    ?A gifted and powerful Jedi you are, Jedi Palpat. For ten years your efforts against the Dark Side Insurgency led by Dar Rashihi have been invaluable. Time, all of us will need, to recover from these terrible years. Minded I am to grant your request, Jedi Palpat. Seen have I, yet more darkness to come?. Yoda?s words, spoken softly and gravely, caused a ripple of surprise to flow across the Chamber. The deep, husky voice of Master Rekarti spoke, ?More darkness you have seen, Master Yoda? I understood we that all of Dar Rashihi?s

4. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Oh great start! :D Looking forward to more! Palpy has always been an interest with me and can't wait for your take on the context!

5. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Very interesting beginning. Looking forward to more.

6. Hyperflash

Hyperflash Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 31, 2003
    This is good. I hope the rest is going to be as good.

Do you know how often you will post an update?

7. Jedi_Sharoes

Nov 9, 2004
    Hey, thanks for your comments guys. I'm glad you're enjoying it so far. I wasn't sure how people would react to new characters playing their part in a story I'm sure EVERYONE has thought about at some point! :)

I'm hoping to post a chapter or two a week and see how it goes. I hope that's enough for everyone!

More to come later today I think.

8. VEJJITA

VEJJITA Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 25, 2004
    this is sweet...
    please post more than twice a week...
    lol

9. Jedi_Hunter_505

Jedi_Hunter_505 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2004
    Hey just read about you doing a Palps/Sid story on the Ep.III fan novel, It's getting off to a great start.

Keep it up!!

:)

10. LadyZaraMarta

LadyZaraMarta Jedi Master star 5

Aug 21, 2004
    Congratulations, Jedi Sharoes!
    Another great novel in the making!
    Thank you!

11. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
  12. Jedi_Sharoes

Nov 9, 2004
    Thanks for the praise and encouragement guys. It's sweet music to my ears!

Next chapter for you below ...

CHAPTER FOUR

For the next three months, Roshna applied herself assiduously to her studies, focusing on the Great Schism of 10,000 years ago, the first great confrontation between followers of the light and dark sides of the Force which had led to the formation of the Republic and the compact between it and the Jedi Order. She hoped to write the definitive study and in many of the ancient holocrons she had found much information, some quite startling. Many details of unknown Jedi had come to light, and the stories of skills and abilities that were almost unheard of in the membership of the present Order had fascinated her. Knowing that some would be useful to her in light of Master Yoda?s vision of her future, she had obtained permission to study certain techniques ? ancient methods of lightsaber combat to help with her regular instructions to the Padawans as well as patterns of meditation supplementing Master Yoda?s teachings on seeing the future. Once, while in deep meditation, Master Thon?s own holocron had shown her how to project her awareness into the Galaxy, soaring through different star systems, the Force showing her the present only. A kaleidoscopic vision of the Galaxy had shown itself to her, Master Thon?s gruff voice intoning instructions on how to interpret the vision, the shimmering, shifting play of light and voids of darkness. The holocron of Nomi Sunrider had shown Roshna her concept of the Force as a deep ocean, its waves flowing across space, shining rays of light emitting from its depths as well as whirlpools of darkness ready to ensnare unwary voyagers.

Roshna could feel herself changing and growing. The dark void that was Belo?s death was still an unhealed wound that could still inflict pain on her when she was least prepared, but it was starting to recede. The physical effects of her shock, which had taken the form of sickness and nausea to begin with had started to recede, only occasionally surprising her of a morning. Master Healer Neehu had been pleased with her progress and her history studies had been a good suggestion of Master Retarki?s, she felt. It did give her something else to focus on and her need to avoid her grief had spurred her on to work harder and harder. She had avoided the Sith archive until now. Both Master Brehan?s cautions against the danger in there and her studies of the rest of the Council of First Knowledge had served to distract her from it, from the strange feeling she had whenever she considered the room. Sometimes, late at night, it almost felt as if the room had been calling to her, pulling her towards the doors. She had dismissed this as the effects of her being tired from her studies and taken it as a cue to go down to the recreation rooms.

One thing about her physical condition had concerned her and she had spoken to Master Healer Neehu about it. ?Master Neehu, thank you for seeing me?. She had sat opposite the insectoid Vedukian Jedi in her bright, airy consulting room in the lower levels of the Temple. There was an absence of technology here, just a small arboretum in one corner which she knew Neehu tended lovingly. Neehu was an old-fashioned Jedi, and although she was familiar with the latest med scanners and healing techniques, she preferred to rely on the Force for diagnosis and treatment. It was reassuring, thought Roshna, and less alien.
    ?You are welcome any time Roshna?, said Neehu. Her voice was similar to a female humanoid?s, low and calm and full of warmth, the only difference being the odd whirrs and clicks that appeared at random moments.

?How are you feeling??, she continued, ?At our last consultation you said that you were starting to feel better and that your sickness had begun to be less frequent?. Neehu?s four black eyes travelled down Roshna?s body, and Roshna knew she was looking at her through the Force.
    ?Yes, I am very rarely sick. I think I?m beginning to recover at last. But ? it?s diffi

13. Darth_Rooboy

Darth_Rooboy Jedi Youngling

Aug 15, 2004
    This is really good Jedi_Sharoes !!

I look forward to the up coming chapters !

14. LadyZaraMarta

Aug 21, 2004
    Jedi Sharoes,

Quite innocent and naive is Roshna! Interesting she would go to the North Tower for comfort!

Looking forward to many more chapters!
    Thank you!

15. VEJJITA

Aug 25, 2004
    interesting... another immaculate conception.. palpatine also a child of the force.. the dark side's answer to the light sides anakin...

16. VEJJITA

Aug 25, 2004
    nice update...

17. Jedi_Sharoes

Nov 9, 2004
    Hmmm, I'm not sure immaculate conception would be part of this story ... Always thought the method of Anakin's conception was an awkward plot point of TPM myself ... the clue to Palpatine's conception is in Chapter 2 ...

18. Jedi_Hunter_505

Sep 1, 2004
    Hey Jedi_Sharoes gat job!

Sweet job man, I tried making a SW story once about Boba Fett during the events of the Trilogy from Boba's point of view. Man it wasn't easy. It came to be about 36 pages long in a spiral notebook; I was in 8th grade.

I love it.

Please bring us more.

19. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Uh oh! Yep lady is pregnant! :) great job!

20. VEJJITA

Aug 25, 2004
    oh yeah,, i forgot the other jedi and her...

21. Jedi_Hunter_505

Sep 1, 2004
    Hey are you still writing the story, cause it's getting quite lonelt here?

22. Jedi_Hunter_505

Sep 1, 2004
    Just wondering, was this moved to a new forum cause it does seem like no one is around.

23. LadyZaraMarta

Aug 21, 2004
    Takes awhile to catch on and word to spread.
    I'm spreading the word!

24. kyp_durron_fan_2009

kyp_durron_fan_2009 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 24, 2004
    I love this story! Please continue soon!!!

25. Jedi_Hunter_505

Sep 1, 2004
    Yes it hasn't been moved yet, just that it is desolate. It will get more crowded nearer a post like Master JW Titus'.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.