main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi Talk

Discussion in 'Archive: Fan Audio' started by Captmiloman, Apr 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Captmiloman

Captmiloman Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 17, 2004
    Does anyone have any archived shows?

2. Nathan_P_Butler

Nathan_P_Butler Author, Star Wars Tales #21 star 4 VIP

May 23, 2003
    At the moment, the JT team doesn't want any archives of Jedi Talk or its parody series, Stormtrooper Bob, available online.

You might try to contact their Yahoo group though. I forget the exact address, but if you go to starwarsfanworks.com, there's a link on Jedi Talk's page.

3. Captmiloman

Mar 17, 2004
    Thanks for the info.

4. Uilmuteiz

Uilmuteiz RSA Emeritus star 4

Dec 4, 2000
    Not wanting for something to happen and having a lack of time in order to make something happen are two different things.

just thaught I'd mention it.

5. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    Well, based on the discussions back around the time that SB was pulled from TFN, when we were possibly going to be hosting higher-quality versions of SB on Fanworks, it certainly seems to me that the issue is not *wanting* rather than not having time, particularly in the case of SB.

6. keithabbott

keithabbott Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 1998
    I do have a good number of them on CD-r but unfortuntaely, I lack the time to transfer them to you. If you knew of a show or two in particular that you wanted, I might be able to help in that capactity.

7. Captmiloman

Mar 17, 2004
    I never really had a chance to hear the shows. I'm mostly interested in getting one or two shows for the time being just to hear what they were like. BTW, Rise Of Nobility was great listening.

8. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    Keith, if you have the chance to copy any of those CD-R's, gimme a yell.

9. Uilmuteiz

Dec 4, 2000
    not that I'll lock this thread anytime soon, but guys if you're going to talk about copying the work of other people, at least take it to PMs.

Piracy is not welcome here, and especially amongst us Fan Audio fans.

Thanks

10. keithabbott

keithabbott Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 1998
    There's no disclaimer on the CD-R that I was sent (from the makers of Jedi Talk) saying that I was not allowed to copy or re-distribute it. So, unless someone says otherwise, it shouldn't be an issue. These cds were created for winners of the trivia contests in which I was a winner. And I was sent one of these cds. Not that it matters to me, but I'll take it offline if that's preferred.

Keith

11. cinemafreak

cinemafreak Jedi Master star 4

May 13, 2002
    its not piracy when its offered for free online (was at one time). that's like stealing free candy, though I'm glad you tossed the warning in there in case it was a case of piracy. It's good to know some people take the "no pirating" stance.

Advocate Analogue Music Piracy.

12. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    Yeah, that's not even REMOTELY piracy. That'd be like if someone were to, by trading CD-R discs, getting copies of Second Strike to people without access to the internet at home.

13. Uilmuteiz

Dec 4, 2000
    Okay, I must admit that as the only Radio Evolution staff still active, I'm really close to this issue.

Therefore I contacted the Founder of JediTalk Victor Maier and asked him about this issue.

here's his response:
    <i>
    The archvies are not and have never been public domain even while we were on the air they were not downloadable. as one post indicates.
    The archives maybe realeased one day, but at this point does it really matter.
    </i>

and I honestly don't believe it does really matter. I agree it's frustrating, but as he also said before, JediTalk is gone and sadly there's nothing we can do about it. We must go forward and enjoy our current shows as they are.

For my part I believe Tatooine TV and our new friend Ithorian make good replacement for Stormtrooper Bob.
    And that to the "four" of us we make sort of a good replacement for JediTalk don't you think.

So Keith it would be prefered that these episode stay offline for the time beeing thanks for your understanding all.

14. cinemafreak

May 13, 2002
    oh, fair enough. Pm's it is.

15. MaxVeers

MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    Why wouldn't he want them available?

16. cinemafreak

May 13, 2002
    They want everything to be offered in extreme clarity and quality or nothing gets offered.

17. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    I'm not sure that's the reason for JediTalk. I know that's the reason for Stormtrooper Bob. There was a time when it looked like Fanworks might end up hosting the series, but they wanted not just CD quality files, but what amounted to, it seemed, CD quality WAV files, rather than MP3. We could have easily compressed the files they had down to a much more managable file size without losing sound quality from the original files they were talking about, but they wouldn't hear of it.

I forget the exact numbers. I just remember that the file size to length ration was ridiculous. Something had to be either wrong or fouled up in their file export to have that length of content be that huge.

EDIT:

I found the numbers in an old Trillian log when Rich and I were trying to figure something out for them.

It was 580 MB for 30 episodes, JUST of Stormtrooper Bob.

Now, the version that was really, really compressed as an ASF and released on TFN Fan Films was about 45 MB or so. 580 MB for a series that ran for about 255 minutes (judging by the ASF files), was just plain insane and far more than we would've gone for. That's about 2.25 MB per minute, where as a CD quality MP3, of the same quality used for almost every audio drama and parody out there, runs at a little under 1 MB per minute.

And, unfortunately, the individual out of the group that we were talking to was unwilling to consider standard CD quality MP3s as the file format, making the series a far too large space and bandwidth gobbler for Fanworks to pursue. That is the equivalent of, say, over 35 short 15 minute audio dramas, or 58 hours or so of radio shows compressed at the same rate as CR or ROTO.

So, we made the call that it wouldn't be doable. At about that same time, we learned that because of how interest became piqued at the possibility of having SB (if not Jedi Talk's 150+ episodes) hosted at higher quality, the low-quality ASF files on TFN Fan Films were deemed too substandard in compression to remain out there as definitive archives of the team's work, so for that and other reasons (discussed on the Fanworks message board), they asked TFN to remove SB from TFN Fan Films.

That was when, to make this long story seem even more like a trip down memory lane, DLR/DL2 became the only audio-only project actively hosted on TFN Fan Films, as it remains today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.