main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi Temple based on Mormon Temple?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by DarthPoppy, Jun 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthPoppy

DarthPoppy Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    This is a serious and sensitive question as it relates to a real religion, so please no flames and insensitive posts (and no I am not a Mormon):

The Jedi Temple has five spires which is a requirement of the architecture of the Temples in the Mormon Church of Latter Day Saints. It looks particularly similar to the Mormon Temple in Oakland, California (which I always thought looked very futuristic and Sci-Fi in its architecture); Oakland is very near the offices of Lucas Film, so I am sure George Lucas is familiar with this building. If anyone knows if this similarity is coincidental or intended, I would love to know.

2. MasterThor

MasterThor Jedi Master star 1

Jun 15, 2005
    It is very possible. I always theought the idea of the Jedi Knight was brought from the Preisthood. Because they are keepers of the peace, they believe in a higher being other than themselves. They have different classes, Master, Padawan, Knight. versus Deacon, Priest, Bishop. GL gets his influences from a lot of various places, things, groups out there. Kind of like the way he made the Imperials look like the Nazis.

3. The-D

The-D Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2005
    Post a Pic of the Mormon Temple.

4. MasterThor

MasterThor Jedi Master star 1

Jun 15, 2005
    Here is an address to a good pic. I think it's the one.

http://www.alaskaair.com/images/destinations/oak_temple.jpg

I dont know how to post pics on forums, or create a link. If someone could do that for me, that would be great.

5. The-D

The-D Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2005
    Hmmm. I do see the connection. Interesting.

Good pic Thor.

6. Darthnidan

Darthnidan Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 28, 2005
    interesting take on the architecture of the building. I have always thought that the temple or it's ideals are based on the Sholin Temple in northern China. Obi-Wan and Yoda fighting at the front of it gave me that impression.

7. DarthPoppy

May 31, 2005
    What does the ShouLin Temple look like? I always thought of the Jedi in more Eastern terms as well, but I find the visual similarity of the Jedi temple on Coruscant and the Mormon Temple in Oakland to be too compelling to be a mere coincidence.

8. Box_Of_Sharp_Objects

Box_Of_Sharp_Objects Jedi Youngling

Jun 17, 2005
    Lucas gets his ideas about Jedi from every religion pretty much (mainly Budhism) so it's very possible that he got some ideas from Moromons

9. DarthPoppy

May 31, 2005
    Any one know what the five spires of the Mormon temple mean/represent? This might explain why Lucas chose it as model for the Jedi Temple...

10. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I'm a non-active Mormon fyi.

One name I immediately found interesting about TPM was the name and pronunciation of Naboo.

The first mormon temple in the modern world was built in Nauvoo, Illinois.

EDIT, not all mormon temples are required to have five spires. In fact, Oakland's is the only to have such.

EDIT2,
    Here's a link to info about the temple. Note the info bar below the pic about temple design:

modern,five-spire design with oriental motif

There's the eastern link.

They even used the word motif. :p

Oakland Temple

11. DarthPoppy

May 31, 2005
    Thanks Shane!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.