main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Roch, NY Jedi Trials Question

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by DarthFran, Mar 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthFran

DarthFran Jedi Youngling

Mar 26, 2005
    Hello everyone!

I have been a silent lurker for awhile, and have shyly (as in 'turned red, took your card and hustled away' shy) shown my face at a couple of your events (most recently at the Toy show). I hope this is the correct place to post this.

Watching the Clone Wars made me wonder, what are the Jedi trials? Body, fire, self, what else?
    What trials did Luke do for him to have Yoda say that he is almost a jedi (except for facing Vader)?

I hope everyone going to Celebration (take me) has a great time (take me, please!) and you return safely (please take me) to tell us all about (me?) everything that went on (are you sure you will not take me?).

Thank you and I hope I did not post this question in the wrong place!

-Fran =)

2. STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB

STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2001
    Wrong place?..... Heck no. This si the right place. That's a good question. I am not sure if that has ever been described in detail anywhere. I would assume that the trial includes facing your fears and stuff like that. I guess they test to see if you can control your emotions and the force in different ways during different exercise and situations. Maybe something like when Luke went in the cave. Anyone know for sure what the trials are all about? Was it in a book or Comic? Post more like this if you wish, Fran. Don't be shy. Come and have fun with us this spring. You do not need to be into costuming. Just check out the threads for what we will be up to.

3. Doc_Bev

Doc_Bev Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2003
    Welcome DarthFran! Yay - New poster! I'm glad you stopped by. I do remember seeing you stop by our table at the VG Toy Show. And you are most definitely in the right place.

I haven't gotten the chance to watch the most recent Clone Wars yet I'm embarrassed to say... but I would go with what SWF-JPB said. I think a Jedi's trial is a personal "battle" he needs to fight.

So, are you thinking of going to CIII? You can put your answer over in this thread if you want. I'm sure we'll have a whole gallery full of pictures on Rochester Fandom shortly after we get back. :)

~Doc_Bev

4. TD-027

TD-027 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 27, 2004
    Hey Darth Fran,
    Welcome! I personally would like to see the Jedi Trials put to film but, it looks like all of our favorite Jedi (Luke,Obi-Wan,Anakin) find a way to by-pass the trials, bummer. I actually have never heard of what the Jedi trials consist of so.... Now I have something to research, once I get the definative answer (if there is one), I'll post it here.

Duane
    TD-2709

5. DarthFran

DarthFran Jedi Youngling

Mar 26, 2005
    Well, here is why I was wondering if there was a "list" of trials that needed to be done.
    I will try to be spoiler free for those who have not yet seen Clone Wars yet. =)

In Chapter 21 of the Clone Wars, when the Jedi Council was discussing Anakin, they mentioned that he has already been through the Test of Skill ("Killing the Dark Assassin on the 4th moon of Yavin"), the Test of Flesh (losing his hand) and has been through many Tests of Courage throughout the war so far. Then they said that there was only one more test from him to pass, the Testing of the Spirit ("Facing the Mirror" they said).

That really does not seem like all the tests that one would need to go through to become a Jedi.

As for Luke, if those are the tests, his Test of Flesh would be losing his hand (like father like son). Would his Test of Skill be what Yoda was talking about when he said he needed to face Vader? I think that taking the leap of faith and leaving with ObiWan would be his test of courage.

ONE more thing on this, the cave on Dagobah does seem to be SOME kind of Test, since QuiGon did take Ani there, so Luke DID pass that one too.

See, I have been doing a LOT of thinking about this. =)

As for me going to CIII, I cannot afford to take the time off of work, so, nope, not going =(.

Thank you for the warm welcome, BTW!

-Fran =)

6. STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB

STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2001
    The way it looked to me Luke failed the cave test.

The test of flesh seems a little harsh, and to be the easiest. Just get your hand chopped off in battle? Do they all have one fake hand I wonder?

7. DarthFran

DarthFran Jedi Youngling

Mar 26, 2005
    Well, yea, if the cave was a Jedi Trial, I would think Luke failed also. But I am not sure if it was a Test per-se. I think it was more of a rite of passage event. I don't think that the Jedi Academy would take all Jedi Padawans of a certian year/level on a feild trip to the cave. =)

As for the Trail of Flesh, I wonder if perhaps it could not only be losing an appendage, but perhaps a Lust test of some sort. Which, I guess Ani would of lost big time too. =)

Hmr...more to ponder =)

-Fran =)

8. T_StarFlyer

T_StarFlyer Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 2, 2004
    not much to say about your question but just wanted to say Hi & Welcome :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.