Jedi vs Sith prequel movie idea

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by backdeskproductions, Jan 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: AdamBertocci
  1. backdeskproductions Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    I have a BIG dream.

After reading some posts about the fan film genre starting to die away, I got this idea.

I need some opinions.

(copy and paste this to another document if you wish to read it some other way.)

PLAN:

1. ALL fan film writers come together to create the story for a Jedi vs Sith Prequel movie.
    a. Just imagine the biggest Jedi and Sith armies you could imagine on screen.
    b. The Jedi/ Sith War is in full swing, there needs to be a backstory.
    (My reason for dating the story back so far is because the prequels and sequels fan films have pretty much been covered and are done too often. NEED ORIGINALITY!!!)

(can we get permission from George Lucas to actually do this? Could we Copyright? Will we get in trouble if we dont have permission? All need to be settled...

2. Election of the Movie's Producer.
    a. Need to select candidates who are willing, and skilled enough to produce a film which could be shot ALL OVER THE WORLD.
    b. There could be more than one producer. Possibly a Regional Producer (someone to cover a region where shooting may be taking place which will collaberate with the other producers.)
    c. I say election because there are a lot of skilled filmmakers out there who would be willing to produce a film of this magnitude. The Fans need to decide.

3. Selection of the Cast and Pre Production Crew.
    a. This involves story boards, pre-visualization, casting calls... you name it.
    b. Some lucky people are going to get to play the main characters out of MILLIONS of Star Wars fans.

4. Shooting.
    a. Directors from ALL OVER THE PLACE will be involved. They can organize and shoot their own Jedi vs. Sith battle (major scale) that must fit into the story. (The video and Audio must also meet the requirements set by the Movie's Main Editor. (aspect ratio, stereo/mono/surround sound, picture quality... etc))
    b. Movie's Main Producer will make the call on whose battles will make it to the final cut.
    c. Movie's Main Producer will work with the main characters and the Main Director to get the actual story shot.

5. Post Production Team
    a. Sound designers, editors, visual FX artists, CG animators, etc... all work on sections of the movie. (It's been done before. (The Movie Spoof Trilogy)) All of them may be from all over the country.
    b. Main Director and Producer decide which battle sequences are used.
    c. Final Cut... ALL PIECES COME TOGETHER... Assemble the names for the credits!!

THIS IS A ROUGH IDEA FOR A WORLD WIDE FAN FILM MOVIE (so far, it is only an idea. Need fans to discuss)

Can it be done? I think so... just need a team of people to organize it.

What do you think? Scary huh?
  2. AdamBertocci Manager

Manager
    star 7
    (1) While we appreciate your enthusiasm, let's try not to shout in the topic titles.

(2) Your copyright/legality questions have already been answered in the "Read this before posting a new thread. Not kidding." thread.

Rick McCallum loves you!
  3. DVCPRO-HDeditor Jedi Master

star 4
    Okay, normally, I'm all for this sort of thing. In fact, I'll gladly follow anyone who can actually get this sort of thing off the ground for more than fifteen minutes. The logistics involved, however, make it a sort of improbable project.

I'm talking, Improbability-Drive class improbable.

I hate to squash the notion, because I'd love to see it work, but there would have to be some sort of driving force or genuine cause other than "it would be awesome" to see this sort of project to completion.

So, I can't say it'll never happen, but I doubt that it will anytime soon. [face_tired]
  4. Sith-Man Force Ghost

star 4
    You know, I've actually posted this same idea before, and didn't really get any response.

I have a script already writen about the Jedi/Sith war. "Rise of The Sith". Not gonna make it for a while, but yeah.

The whole Jedi/Sith war movie, with the massive armies, has been pitched a lot on here as well.

...... yeah...
  5. RocketGirl Jedi Master

star 4
    If you REALLY want to be original, you could do a Star Wars story where the Jedi and Sith are NOT the main focus... [face_whistling]
  6. sithjeff Jedi Master

star 4
    Product placement for The Last Remnants?:p
  7. Jace Taran Jedi Master

star 4
    I have to be honest, most "big dreams" of massive internet collaboration don't get off the ground. In fact, I don't think I've heard of a single one that's worked out. At most, they get to a start, and then pretty soon enthusiasm dies off. Then before anyone knows it, it's gone for several years without a single update. They're usually pretty gung-ho during the first month of planning (or maybe just first week), but once it comes time to actually start the work, it tapers off at a pretty sharp rate.

Thing is, people come here all the time with ideas for "THE GREATEST FAN FILM EVER!" and they all seem to have something like a zero percent success rate. Sometimes it's because the person fronting the idea is all talk. Sometimes it's because it's just too big. Sometimes it's because the idea wasn't thought out well enough beforehand, but was rather a whim of the OP.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing bad about being ambitious, but the logistics of purely over the internet work are prohibitive, and sometimes the dream gets way out of hand. The other problem is that most of the people who come with their grand vision are dreamers and no doers, and they expect other people to do all.

If you want to make the best fan film ever, more than likely you are probably going to have to do the work yourself, or at least a large part of it. You see, you can often find fx and/or CG arists to help with a movie if you demonstrate beforehand that you're serious about it. That means that you generally have to already have stuff from your movie filmed to show that you can shoot decent footage (most FX artists around here probably don't want to take the time to fix badly shot blue/greenscreens, for instance).

However, please don't call it the best fan film ever; this is the fan film kiss of death. I haven't seen a single one of these promised "best ever" fan films even actually started, much less finished. On the exceptionally rare case that one actually is finished, it's never as earth-shattering as originally promised.

Basically, the moral of the story is that if you want to make a good film, it's mostly up to you to do the research & the work necessary.

However, as a final note, if the fan film community is willing to pull together for a massive collaboration, I will support it, perhaps even help out where I can. Just because past such efforts haven't gone well in the past isn't any reason not to try at all, I guess. Never hurts to try, eh? I just suggest we keep it simple (so no epic two hour movie loaded with extreme CG and effects).
  8. RocketGirl Jedi Master

star 4
    No, actually.
    I mean, okay, SW:TLR certainly doesn't focus on the Force in any way--it gets a nod or two, but the focus is on the Rebellion, much the way it was for ANH--but really, I just think that someone who is trying to find an original concept for a fan film might consider NOT doing what everyone else does, namely focusing on the Jedi, the Sith, the Force, and lightsabers. That's all.

I think it's possible that most people just aren't even considering that option; sometimes it seems as if the fan film world thinks the Rebellion never happened, so infrequent are the fan films that deal with that time period...probably because the only way to do that AND have Jedi is to either try and find someone to double for Luke or make up a story about a lost Jedi, cuz there's gotta be a Jedi in there somewhere at all costs (apparently). But if you really want to make something that, for the fan film world, doesn't happen much, a non Force-based script seems to me to be the way to go.
    So I figured I'd throw the idea out there, just in case it might generate an, "Oh, yeah...forgot about that aspect of the GFFA for a minute there; lemme think about it," kinna reaction.
  9. ShadowDuelist Force Ghost

star 4
    Yah, theres the no Jedi thing, but also I think its because we already know so much of what happens during this time period, its hard to think of how to fit something in (and kudos to you for doing so). If you throw in the EU, the most popular characters (Luke, Han, Fett, Lando, etc) have to be doing two or three things at once to make it all fit. And when you make up something new you want have the good guys fighting the bad guys. For it to stand a chance against the Empire you either need a One-Man-Army (aka. Jedi) or a large cast. Even if its bad guys fighting good guys, you still need a worthy opponent. If you ask me its a lot easier to roto a saber that get a bunch of decent actors who work for free.
  10. RocketGirl Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, it wasn't difficult. All I did was think of the line Tarkin said: "The last remnants of the Old Republic have been swept away," and then thought to myself, "Well...what if he's wrong?" and *BAM*...the story just came to me. And I know that in conversations like this one, I've put more than a few ideas out there.
    One of my favorites is the one about a bounty hunter who is hired to capture an extreme rich business tycoon in the post-ROTJ New Republic...and it turns out that this businessman is actually an ex-Imperial officer who is guilty of extreme atrocities against the sentient races of the GFFA, escaped trial, and went underground to build a new life. The bounty hunter was hired by relatives of his victims to bring him in, but wasn't told why; we, the audience, find out why when the bounty hunter does, at the end.
    I mean, I could probably spew out ideas like that all day; the GFFA really inspires me to dream and imagine, which is part of why I find it so perplexing--and I am genuinely boggled by this--that so few people are willing to step outside the world of the Jedi and the Sith to do more with what I see as a rich, diverse, and very interesting universe.

Well, you see, I thought about that. This is why, in writing The Last Remnants, I came up with a concept that allowed me to have three Rebel characters, two Imperial characters, and one alien character. I mean, the whole concept is that a delegation from the Rebellion goes to a single planet to try to recruit it into the Alliance, and is confronted by their opposite number doing the same thing, Imperial-style. It's a simple story that hints at a much larger story--obviously there has to be more than one team doing what these people are doing or they'd never get to even a fraction of the whole galaxy--and gives the feeling of being epic without ever actually having to be.
    These are all things I thought about when writing this story...and I realized that you don't have to tell the whole epic story, just a tiny piece of it. Ask yourself...what aspect of the GFFA has gone unexplored that it might be neat to see? I've always been curious about the Rebellion, hence my fan film, but there's smugglers and bounty hunters and podracers and droids and aliens and cantinas and cantina BANDS and Imperials and royalty and moisture farmers and so on and so on and so on...

I mean, how about this: a cantina band that plays a pub circuit between Coruscant and Corellia gets caught in the crossfire between Rebels and Imperials and has to attempt to get out of harms way, ending up forced to take sides just to get out alive. Perhaps some members of the band have sympathies in one direction or another, thus dividing loyalties between band members, splitting up the band. Or one of the band members has been an information mule for the Alliance, unbeknownst to the other band members and THAT'S what starts the conflict, the Empire storming their passenger liner to find that one person and the Rebels defending them, the other bands members having to come to terms with this new development.
    Just another idea I came up with this very second; kinna reminds me of the zeppelin scene in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. The possibilities are endless, and you never have to turn it into a multi-planet military epic.

So, no, you really don't have the exc
  11. Jedsithor Force Ghost

star 4
    Oh I have the story for this. It pretty much throws out the EU and uses versions of characters (such as Darth Bane and Darth Ruin) that are closer to what Lucas (apparently) intended and a history that comes partly from things said by Lucas and partly from pure guess work...and some of it I just purely made up because it seemed to fit what I call "The Lucasverse".

The biggest problem with a "Sith War" story is how, even with the Sith turning against each other, they could have been defeated by the Jedi who could have had numbers of a few thousand, compared to the hundreds of thousands, perhaps millions that the Sith would need (probably slaves and droids) to control and oppress the galaxy. I think I've solved that problem (with the Jedi army being made up of freed slaves).

But the thing is, shooting a movie like that, even if Lucas himself was doing it with the resources he has, would be very difficult. You have to deal with the origins, or at least the eary years of the Jedi, the state of the galaxy, the formation of the Sith, their conquest of the galaxy, the years of Sith rule, and of course the Jedi uprising and what would be a very long war. I suppose you could handle a lot of it in a Lord of the Rings-type prologue, but even so, there's still a lot to cover.

And doing it as a fan film...well i've always said that if you had everyone here working on a single project, you'd have a pretty decent crew, but if everyone is involved...who directs it? where do you shoot it? Who do you cast? How do we agree on a script to use when I'm sure so many people would want to write it?

Location is a huge factor...if you shoot it in the US...say Michigan (as an example) then the director, actors and crew are all going to have to be from Michigan or be able to get there. That severely reduces the number of people who can work on the film during production...it's not as if we can all fly in from around the world.

It's also going to cost a lot to shoot and while i'm sure the film would get donations, the people actually making the movie in Michigan would end up having to pay most of the costs.

It's a nice idea, having everyone work on a single epic film, but in practice it just won't work. Maybe if money was no object...but that's not the case.

EDIT: Reading through your plan again, you talk about shooting different battles all over the world...that could work, but i would be second unit stuff. The thing that makes war movies work, is that they focus on a core group of characters, whether it's Saving Private Ryan, Apocalypse Now or even Lord of the Rings. And it's not like we could fly the cast all around the world to shoot the various battles.
  12. DVCPRO-HDeditor Jedi Master

star 4
    I think if there were an interesting take on the Jedi/Sith fan film, it could prove interesting. For the most part, we have Jedi meets Sith, they fight, Jedi is tempted by the Dark Side but overcomes it to win OR succumbs to win OR while dealing with the internal moral dilemma is killed by the Sith.

Woopie-doo. :rolleyes:

I'd like to see a fan film try to address the larger issue at hand: Religious intolerance. Jedi are Catholics, Sith are Protestants - or somesuch. They're two groups who believe in the same power, but frame their worship of it in different manners. Those differences have led to years, decades, centuries and millennia of war and intolerance.

Do that in an innovative, thought-provoking, character-driven manner, and it will be the ultimate fan film . . . . in my mind, anywho.
  13. RocketGirl Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah, my feelings exactly.

Okay, now THAT is an interesting idea. I'd watch that. But, uh, be sure to throw in an "atheist" or two, Han Solo-style. ("Kid, I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other n' I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's some all-powerful Force controlling everything. There's no mystical energy field controls MY destiny!")

Of course, this isn't quite such an ambiguous situation as, say, Northern Ireland. I mean, the Sith KILL innocents and throw their weight around because they can, while the Jedi are defenders of the weak...so it's not quite about religiou intolerance, it's also about atrocities committed in the name of religion. In a way, it's more like Nazi Germany and the Holocaust than Northern Ireland.
    I mean, c'mon...if the Sith could control their powers instead of their powers controlling them, if the slaughter of innocents wasn't something they'd do without a second thought, if the Sith were just different, I doubt the Jedi would give a rat's hiney...but that's not the case. I mean, at its heart, Star Wars is and always has been about good versus evil, not about A versus B. I don't think the "I'm just misunderstood!" defense will work for too terribly many Sith.
    Still, if you can find a way to make that case and then turn the debate into a fan film, I'd probably swallow my dislike of the lightsaber-fight fan film to watch it...
  14. Jace Taran Jedi Master

star 4
  15. DVCPRO-HDeditor Jedi Master

star 4
    You have to remember, RocketGirl, that history is written by the victors of any conflict - and, as we know, the Jedi end up "winning" by the end of the Saga. Who's to say that, a thousand years ago, the wicked Jedi didn't undermine and destroy the benevolent Sith? After all, Palpatine said "At last, we will have peace."

How is the destruction of the Sith by Luke any different than the destruction of the Jedi by Anakin?

Why aren't the Rebels labeled as terrorists and seditionists in the CT, as they should be by any just standards?

Of course, to pull off a fan film that portrays the Sith in a not-so-negative light, one would need a compelling, sympathetic sort of main character who only wants power to restore the galaxy to its rightful order.
  16. RocketGirl Jedi Master

star 4
    But WHY? I mean, seriously, why do Jedi/Sith absolutely to DEATH, to the point where even our most staunch lightsaber-fan-film advocates are sick of them, before moving on to other aspects of the GFFA? Why ignore so much of the GFFA in favor of only a single aspect?

Well, I don't deny this, but, well...oh, just see above; it seems as if your whole argument is intended to keep the focus firmly planted on Force-users (with heaping dose of "...where it belongs!" tacked to the end of it) at all costs. Is there a reason for that, or are you just playing Devil's Advocate?

No, they haven't...but...well, again, see above. I favor diversity in fan films; it seems to me that you do not.

Yeah, I'm pretty sick of all that.

I really should read the whole post before replying. Darn ADD...really gets in the way sometimes. :p

Okay, fair enough. But my point, really, is more about the unexplored potential BEYOND Jedi/Sith/Force/saber material, even more so than the "J/S/F/s have all been way over-used; do something different, dammit" point. That, and diversity; sure, make something about a Jedi if you must, but remember to include elements from the REST of Star Wars, if you please, and not just as backdrop. Make it important, integral to the story.
    And...if you can...try to set something during the Rebellion; seems like every fan film is set either before it or after it, like the Galactic Civil War has to be avoided at all costs, probably because of lack of potential for Jedi action...
  17. RocketGirl Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah, but...Palpatine's a tool. :p

Besides, we have plenty of evidence that the Jedi are benevolent and that the Sith are really, really not; the Dark Side is NOT just misunderstood.

The Sith kill innocents, they grab for power; the Jedi protect and are content with their place in the galaxy. This isn't hearsay; we've seen it, on screen. Doing away with the Sith--which happened, BTW, after they made themselves a serious threat, not just to the galaxy but to Luke personally--was like a police action, or slaying an evil dragon. It was hardly deliberate genocide, more like self-defense.

...CT? I know OT and PT...whatinhell is the CT?

In any case, they're freedom fighters, and everybody knows it. "It's not that I like the Empire, I hate it..." etc.

...and who kills innocents just because they're in the way, strangles their subordinates (sometimes to death), willingly blows up entire planets, etc, etc...
  18. ShadowDuelist Force Ghost

star 4
    Say we've got a Jedi, post order 66. Hes already ditched his saber, cause thats a dead givaway, and some plot device means he can't use the force. Now create a story about him trying to survive in the galaxy without the superpowers hes used to having. Could be interesting.
  19. DVCPRO-HDeditor Jedi Master

star 4
    Actually, given the amount of EU material that's been stuffed into that time period (from the Battle of Yavin through the Battle of Endor, which is only four years), I can see why a lot of writer/directors have shied away from that era.

There's this huge gap from about 3,995BBY - 1,020BBY and 1,021BBY - 33BBy that hasn't really been dealt with a whole lot, though. That's right: from the Jedi Civil war up through the Battle of Ruusan (a huge kriffin' Jedi vs. Sith battle), and then from that up until Palpatine started moving into his end game maneuvers.

That's where I'd really like to play. :D

There's also that gap in between Episodes III and IV, but I'm pretty sure that Lucas is going to have that gap officially plugged within a few years. And it's always nice to have the story you want to tell not conflict with other parts of the story, right?
  20. DVCPRO-HDeditor Jedi Master

star 4
    And Jedi are also willing to order faceless, nameless soldiers to their deaths.

Which, I'm trying to point out, is propaganda. Yes, the Sith did horrible things to win the war. But were the Jedi, or the Rebels, really any different? It would be an excellent theory to follow through on in a film - in particular, a film that addressed the Jedi/Sith schism as a form of religious intolerance.

That would be the Classic Trilogy. :-B

"It's not like I love the Bush administration, I hate it..." :p

(Just using a real-world analog, mind you.)

Power is gained in order to be kept. Windu was willing to bypass the legal system and execute Palpatine. Yoda also attempted to assassinate a head of state. How is the "oppression" of the Sith (which we never see directly on screen, I'd like to point out) any different from the baby-snatching, mind-wiping, limb-chopping methods applied by the "heroic" Jedi?

I'm not really trying to argue, but you've got to admit, this sort of discussion would make for a terrific film.
  21. Jace Taran Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh, yeah, I think diversity is a must as well, if you want to tell a truly good story. I never meant to imply that Jedi had to be there. In fact, when I said that someone could come up original stories that featured Jedi, I wasn't saying stories that centered on Jedi, just soried that, as I said, featured Jedi and/or Sith characters. I never meant to exclude anything.

So yeah, I wasn't arguing in favor of ignoring other aspects of SW. I don't think Jedi should be included at all costs; my argument was more that we shouldn't exclude them at all costs either. So, essentially, you were right about the devil's advocate thing; that's pretty much what I was doing. I just wanted to dispell the myth (well, I think it's a myth anyway) that all Jedi/Sith stories have been exhausted, and that there would be no way to include Jedi in a good story I(and include them in a good way, I might add, not just to pump up the action).

The very best fan films tell a good story, and that's really the importand thing. A good story can feature a Jedi, or it can feature a Rebel, or it can feature a bounty hunter, or some combination (by feature, I again mean here include, rather than center on at the exclusion of all else). The best stories include diverse characters, like the OT. Even the PT, which focuses far more heavily on Jedi/the Force, is more inclusive of the GFFA than your average Jedi fan film. A good story is one that features characters that enrich it. If a Jedi character enriches it, then fine. If not, then they're not needed, and they actually detract from the story & water it down.

When thinking of a story, my belief is that first of all, you should think critically of what you want to do, and not do anything simply because of trends, or what you think would be "cool," or whatever. The focus should always be on what tells a good story. If through critical thinking you realize that your Jedi vs Sith is just a re-hash of every Jedu story ever done, then you should fix it. That may dictate doing a story completely devoid of Jedi alogether, but it might not.

My second belief is that something should not necessarily be discarded altogether just because it's been done before (actually, I don't think anything should be discared without critical thought). I think that while you have to think critically about what to include, you also have to think critically about what not to include. If your story would be improved by having a Jedi character, then you should probably give it some thought. Doesn't mean you have to include said Jedi by any means; I'm just arguing that such a thing should not be discarded off-hand without a second thought. After thinking critically about it, you may still decide not to include certain aspects (like Jedi), but at least you thought about it rather than tossing it out from the get-go. You see, I think that originality is more than simply being different for the sake of being different. True, simply different can bring welcome change to monotony, but I think there ought to be more motivation behind it than just that. A good story is good not simply because it's radically different from other stories. A different story could very well be a good story, but a story along similar lines as others can also be a good story.
  22. Jace Taran Jedi Master

star 4
    How did Luke exterminate the Sith? As I recall, Luke tossed his saber into the pit and refused to fight. Vader dropped Palpy down the shaft. Vader was still technically a Sith at that point, so the Sith destroyed themselves.
  23. DVCPRO-HDeditor Jedi Master

star 4
    Luke essentially created an inverse form of Dun Moch, leading Vader back to the light by infusing love through spoken words. Luke was successful and, yes, Anakin ultimately redeemed himself. But it was a result of Luke's actions (including words).
  24. backdeskproductions Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    This is GOOD!!! I'm glad this topic launched such a discussion. We seem to be debating on a storyline now we just need to clear things up a bit. We have more possibilities in the Jedi/Sith War era. Let's try to focus on that. Oh, and sorry for "yelling the topic title".

About the volunteer actors, people do it all the time. And I'm not saying this is going to be easy. Joe Wilka I'm sure used volunteer actors in The Movie Spoof Trilogy. Return of the Spoof recieved HIGH praise from the fan community. I'm sure he pretty much just went up to his potential actors and said, "Do you wanna be in a movie?"

To answer the question about why this should be done is that since it's never been done before, and there is potential, it's about time we did it. Let's just say that we'll do this film for George Lucas' birthday. ;)

I'm not too worried about green screen that much unless we have ships. That's up to you writers. I think it's time we appointed a Master Writer to bring together the ideas and try to put them in an outline. For example, I had a series of bad dreams over a few months. I took out my pen and my paper and jotted down a quick summary of each of them. I rearranged the summaries into an outline, seeing how all of the dreams would fit into each other. Eventually, I finished typing the screenplay and it has been sitting in my car's trunk for a year now.

What I'm saying, is that the Master Writer will take the ideas down, arrange them into a story line and submit the story to me. I'll play Master Producer until it's time to appoint another. (That's when Production takes place)

As for CG artists... CG is what they DO. I'm sure they can put together some sort of mechanical units like walkers, or build some fighters. Maybe even they'll create a million-character Sith Army for example. We can find someone who has the program they used in LOTR.

These people are out there... we just need to find them.

This will be a REAL TEST to everyone's filmmaking abilities. Think of the relief after it's all over. You would have contributed to the greated Fan Film ever made. It's possible and probable. We just have to have the initiative to go out and DO it.
  25. backdeskproductions Jedi Grand Master

star 3

(2) Your copyright/legality questions have already been answered in the "Read this before posting a new thread. Not kidding." thread.

Ah, I see. I'm not sure if anyone reads those. :)
Moderators: AdamBertocci
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.