main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi vs Sith prequel movie idea

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by backdeskproductions, Jan 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. backdeskproductions

backdeskproductions Jedi Master star 3

Aug 17, 2007
    "Man who say it cannot be done should not interrupt man doing it."- chinese proverb. (always a good thing to keep in mind)

Actually I believe things would be a lot better for me in 2-3 years. :)
    I DO like the name SP-1M "Spim" but the more and more I think about it, perhaps it doesnt suit the droid, but we can have another droid in the film be called Spim... but more like a background character. Just so we could still have a tribute to LLL's good friend.

As for the opening crawl, I didnt get to see it. I even got a vimeo account and it still says I dont have permission to see the video. :(

Now that I think about it, the film should have been written in parts by the writers, but the primary focus should have been the scenes. Each scene has to be thought out because I think the filmies would rather film certain scenes in their available locations rather than whole parts which are made up of many different types of scenes. Some types of scenes might not be available to certain filmies which could cause a problem if the part they are filming has that specific scene.

do you get what I mean, it's hard to explain.

Lets say I am going to film part 2. (now just BS-ing)... part two has a scene with Larson which will be shot on an available location. But the following scene cannot be shot on the appropriate location because that type of terrain is not available in that part of the country, but Larson is supposed to appear in that scene. How do we fix that problem?

ask yourself that question when writing and try to work around that type of scenario.

I'm just sayin haha [face_thinking] ;)

2. LLL

LLL Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2000
    Well, Ish is in the middle of creating a second droid. Maybe that can be "SPIM" and we can name our main droid something else. I think a pic of the droid would help very much with the name.

============================================================

Now, then. I may begin to sound a bit harsh, here. Prepare yourselves. No offense is intended.

Here's my problem with all this, and I'm beginning to find it annoying.

Obviously I haven't studied as much screenwriting as some other people, but what I did learn informed me that the screenwriter's job is to tailor the story to the available production values as much as possible. Over and over they tell you, "Think about how much what you are planning is going to cost. Write so it can be filmed cheaply." So, what did I do? I came in here and asked: What sounds feasible to y'all? I got some answers. We started.

Then Larson started to bleed into sections of the script he wasn't originally supposed to. I asked and asked: Is this OK? Is this OK?? I did feel awfully nervous about it not working and having to be rewritten, because if anyone knows from personal experience, it's me: Once you get deeply attached to something you've written, it's extremely difficult to go back and make it very different and have it turn out as good. The gig is already up. You've seen it in your head too long, and you're too emotionally attached. The thing to do was stop the process when it started, and remind the writers: You are not allowed to do this, and only allowed to do this. Then we wouldn't have painted ourselves into a corner.

But every time I raised a concern, I was told, "No, this is great! We think it's filmable. Go ahead." So I unwisely allowed my writers to develop the story almost to the end, and now we hear it: We can't film it.

Only still we've got dissention. We've got one voice still saying, "Yes, we can film it," and one voice saying, "No, we can't."

Which angers me because I did ask, way back before we even decided to start the rewrite: Filmies. Get together. Talk it over. Can you film it or not? I was really hoping to start the rewrite based on a consensus. Which it appears we didn't quite get.

What I'm beginning to think is that our real problem here is too loose of an organization at the very top. My understanding of the organization of this thing is:

VERY TOP

backdesk

and under him,

Film crew members.........................Writers

Jedsith...............................................me
    Vidina................................................Musical Jedi
    etc...................................................JedSith
    ........................................................Ish
    ..........................................................RX

so I've been treating backdesk as the boss and trying to do what he says to do. But now we're getting all these questions again about the decisions from the top that tell the writing staff what to do and what to shoot for.

If you remember correctly, I did stop prior to the final push to the writing of an ending and say: Filmies. This is the time to caucus (spelling?) and AGREE ON WHAT YOU WANT before telling us WHAT TO DO. (sorry about the caps, but sheesh.) And I don't recall that there was a whole lot of discussion there. backdesk said rewrite based on the fact that Larson simply can't be in the whole thing, so I went back to the last two writers and we began rewriting based on the fact that Larson can't be filmed in the whole thing without a whole lot of money for plane tickets and time off the day job for one unfortunate actor.

And now we've got new opinions coming in again and questions raised about the right thing to do which threaten to knock us back to an earlier stage in the writing process.

*stops and takes a deep breath*

GUYS.

We the writing staff (or at least, I the head writer) need strong direction from the top. The leader needs to be the leader, and

3. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    Oops, sorry. I had it on private when I uploaded it to check that it was ok and I forgot to switch it to public.

You should be able to see it now though. http://www.vimeo.com/1538212

4. LLL

Jul 16, 2000
    Oh, and @backdesk: Am I misremembering? (I may be...I've been trying to leave Ish alone as much as possible here...) I remember Larson in the marketplace, in the Naboo launch bay, and on the ship. Have I forgotten some location we've put him in?

[face_worried]

5. Jedsithor

Oct 1, 2005
    He's in the Cantina as well (his grand introduction).

6. LLL

Jul 16, 2000
    OK...cantina is indoors...where else?

7. drewjmore

drewjmore Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 15, 2007
    The crawl looks fantastic: your study of the form has done you credit.

The font/characters of "a long time ago..." is too crisp, get a little film grain in there and/or blur the edges a few pixels.

8. Jedsithor

Oct 1, 2005
    Uh...let's see...here are Larson's appearances in Part 2:

1. Cantina - talking to bartender.
    2. Outside the Docking Bay - talking to administrator (outdoors, just a desk in front of the door to the docking bay really)
    3. Alley - First meeting with BOT.
    4. Marketplace - Trying to sell BOT
    5. The Solar Flare - inside the ship, mostly in the cockpit.

I'm not sure if there's a shot of him in the docking bay itself...I don't think we see him enter the ship though I would have to check the script to be sure.

9. LLL

Jul 16, 2000
    Gee...that's a lot of places for Larson to be just in Part Two. Which means that crew has its work cut out for it.

10. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Yeah, can't we cut the number of those places down if anything? 8-}

11. backdeskproductions

Aug 17, 2007
    This is where I came up with the idea of a CG Larson. To me personally, it's looking better and better as a solution to the problem. Instead of completely wiping Larson out of a zillion scenes, we could turn him into a humanoid character. I'm still 100% for that solution. We could finish writing the script and get working on concept designs for larson, bot, ships, etc... and then we would be able to decide on how much this film will cost. I know that the correct way to develop a film is to set your budget first. Unfortunately we have no budget. Once the script is written we can make the slight appropriate changes needed to figure the costs as "affordable".

Luckily we aren't pitching this film to a production company.

Perhaps this is a birth of a new one?[face_coffee] cheers

12. Jedsithor

Oct 1, 2005
    Well the alley scene could be moved to the marketplace. The scene in the script takes place in an alley just off the market, so it shouldn't really be a problem. The Docking Bay and Marketplace scenes have to stay as they set up the reason for BOT and Larson to leave together and the Cantina establishes Larson's character.

Actually, thinking about it...there is a scene inside the docking bay...Larson isn't in it, but the Docking Bay administrator is.

If you move the entrance to the Docking Bay to the marketplace, they can be part of the same set, so can the alley.

So the only locations needed would be the marketplace, the cantina and inside the docking bay. Yes, you have scenes inside the ship as well, but they aren't confined to Naboo.

13. backdeskproductions

Aug 17, 2007
    we should consider the production crew which has larson will have a lot to do. so the reduction in actual locations would be a great advantage. I cannot remember for the life of me if larson interacts with the naboo family. :oops:

14. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    No he doesn't interact with the Naboo family at all. And as far as the filming goes, I'm just guessing but, don't films get filmed basically by location first and then the effects to fill in the rest of the story second. If locations have to be combined or dropped due to too many, then let's do that instead of compromising storyline.

Only if that fails I would think should the storyline be changed to accommodate the budget which I am gathering is practically zero. If this is going to be done on mainly a volunteer type of production, then I would imagine that it just might takes many months or even years to get done.

Considering that and no initial effects besides the opening crawl, I think that we have to come to grips with the fact that unless someone doesn't mind doing this with their own time, effort, and money, that it may be quite some time before it may ever be done.

15. backdeskproductions

Aug 17, 2007

oh good. then larson and all the scenes including him will be shot by one production crew. So that means the production crew filming those scenes needs to have the correct locations available, and must also find the other characters in the scene. that makes things a little more practical.

does anybody in a scene (background or main character) appear in another scene shot at a totally different location? other than BOT of course. These are the nightmares I'd have at 2 in the morning. [face_worried]

16. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    OMK, in the name of all that is still funny about my original section of the script, I love the idea of a CGI Larson. But probably won't happen.

17. Joel_K

Joel_K Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 22, 2007
    Holy freaking cow crap, that idea is awesome! I'd love to see that.

Here's an evening image of Theed.

18. LLL

Jul 16, 2000
    Well, as per my post at the top of the page, I'll leave you guys to talk about this some more.

Please come back over to Resource when you're done and let us know:

1.) Who we're listening to as the final word (as far as I'm concerned it's backdesk), and

2.) If we're really still rewriting or not.

Ish, until you hear otherwise, I'd keep working on whatever you've got so far for a rewrite.

19. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Interesting idea for the pan-down.

Will do, LLL. You're the boss.

20. Jedsithor

Oct 1, 2005
    Hmm...I might be able to work with that. I'll see what I can do. Of course it's just a test. Any actual crawl and pan down will most likely be handled by the effects crew.

Any thoughts on what I did for the crawl by the way?

21. backdeskproductions

Aug 17, 2007
    I'm still not sure on "as the rebellion against the empire continues to rage across the galaxy"
    Could it be "as the rebellion's fight against the empire continues to rage across the galaxy"??

We already decided it wouldnt be the Galactic Civil War...
    But the whole look and feel of the crawl is spot on!
    :D

22. Jedsithor

Oct 1, 2005
    It's straight out of A New Hope.

"You know of the rebellion against the empire?" - Luke Skywalker.

23. backdeskproductions

Aug 17, 2007
    [face_thinking] I believe he was referring to their cause and not the name of the war.

24. Jedsithor

Oct 1, 2005
    it's not written as the name of the war, it's written as what's happening, which is why "rebellion" isn't capitalised. It's a "rebellion against the Empire" not the "Rebel Alliance's fight against the Empire. Also, I wasn't sure if "fleet admiral" should be capitalised since it's not referring to his name but what he is...I need to go back to school [face_laugh]

25. backdeskproductions

Aug 17, 2007
    Dont let anyone make fun of you. It's harder than it looks. :-B

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.