main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi vs Sith prequel movie idea

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by backdeskproductions, Jan 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. backdeskproductions

backdeskproductions Jedi Master star 3

Aug 17, 2007
    I say we CG Larson. That is my final answer. Now how bout that million ;)

2. SaintTames

SaintTames Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 18, 2008
    I'm not trying to be rude or definite or anything, but a CG Larson would look fake and would accomplish nothing but dumping the load of the Larson issue onto the VFX crew.

Not to mention how hard it would be for the crews to film Larson scenes. Or, come to think of it, for actors to have to interact not just with one CG character, but with two.

No, I don't think a CG Larson would be a proper fix for the problems he causes.

I personally still think it would work if we just had one crew film all the parts with Larson.

Tames Was Here

3. daveandtom

daveandtom Jedi Youngling

Jun 9, 2008
    Ambitious.

At the very least if its a great script use it as your spec writing sample to get work on another project.

All the best!

4. backdeskproductions

Aug 17, 2007
    rebuttle:

How fake he looks actually would depend on the VFX crew. Besides if he were CG, I dont want him to be human.... humanoid... not human. Interacting with two CG characters wont be too hard. Of course its challenging. We wouldn't have a sense of accomplishment without a challenge.

My only argument for a CG Larson is so the story can stay the same and we wont have to make major changes.
    I also agree with the statement "I personally still think it would work if we just had one crew film all the parts with Larson." That's how it should be done. But of course there's the issue of the other talent needed in the scenes AND the locations need to be kept in mind. That's a LOT for one crew.

end rebuttle:

5. SaintTames

Jun 18, 2008
    Yeah, I don't think you misunderstood, but I can see how someone could so quick clarification: the idea that one crew films all Larson parts has already been lain out. What I was saying was that we don't change the script and put all the Larson parts with one crew. Like I said, I don't think anyone misunderstood, but if they did...

Well, no offense meant towards the VFX crew, but even large expensive effects companies have trouble turning out high quality, all-cg humanoid characters (re: clonetroopers). Also, with him being a nonhuman we go back to the issue that has already been discussed that it's going to be hard for an audience to relate to two main characters that aren't the same species as them, one of which is a frickin' robot.

I've heard of 501st and Rebel Legion members actually flying out on their own dime to take part in someone's fan film (Siege of Ilum had a Mace Windu flown out, iirc), with no cost to the filmmaker. I'm not saying we should rely on that as an option, but perhaps it's something we should consider.

I dunno.

Tames Was Here

6. backdeskproductions

Aug 17, 2007
    I see... I agree. But I called for a test a while ago. Perhaps a test would help us decide on a CG Larson or live action.

7. LLL

LLL Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2000
    Since things seem to be so up in the air on this, the writing staff will be going ahead with the rewrite.

I just don't see all that CGI working out, and with gas and plane ticket costs what they are, I really can't see an actor flying potentially all over the country on their own dime to film. And if one crew does all the Larson parts, that's a disproportionate amount of work all on one crew. How would they possibly do all those sets? The whole idea behind this was to split work evenly.

If someone actually does come up with a sure-fire, workable way to do the script we've already written, cool. We'll quit the rewrite and just go ahead to the ending. But I'm not yet convinced.

"At the very least if its a great script use it as your spec writing sample to get work on another project."

I thought it only worked that way in TV? :)

Anyway, Ish is still writing and hopefully might have something to show us this weekend.

8. kuatengineer

kuatengineer Jedi Master star 2

Apr 3, 2008
    I have to say that I haven't really read through this thread in great detail (it's huge!), but I do peep in from time to time, and I've been glancing through on the 'Larson problem'. I haven't seen the script, etc., so I'm not sure what the story calls for as far as Larson's actual part, but I have been more interested in the theory of filking different parts and bringing them together. So, here's my question: could Larson be an alien, or be a masked/helmeted character, or tattooed, etc? Then different actors could play him as long as they were the same build/height, and voice-over work could be done to make sure there's only one voice. Like I said, I haven't really dug into some of the details here, so that may be a dumb suggestion, but it was a thought as I was glancing over it.

9. DVCPRO-HDeditor

DVCPRO-HDeditor Jedi Master star 4

Nov 24, 2006
    . . . :oops:

That's actually a really solid, cheap and reasonable solution! :D

10. backdeskproductions

Aug 17, 2007

11. LLL

Jul 16, 2000
    Well, my thought on that is...

If the actor playing Larson isn't very good, that idea might be a Godsend.

But if he is, it would be a shame. I know Boba Fett is cool, but all Boba Fett does is...stand around in the armor and look cool. Larson is more of a Han Solo type, and much as Harrison Ford may be embarrassed about the movies now, his acting in them is riveting.

Not that I really expect we could get a free/amateur actor as good as Ford, but you see my point.

12. storm8105

storm8105 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2008
    Make Larson a changeling, then have him played by completely different people :p.

13. SaintTames

Jun 18, 2008
    Ha! That could be interesting. Like, it really could. Huh.

Tames Was Here

14. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    Personally I'm against using a cgi Larson. I don't think there is any need for it. The only advantage would be that the cockpit scenes could be done as a completely computer generated scene, without the need to build any sets.

But I think that if you're going to go that far, you might as well do the whole thing as an animated film, either 2d of 3d. We still have no idea if the droid is going to work, so there is no point in speculating about any other characters being cg elements until we know if the droid can be pulled off fairly realistically. Everything hinges on that.

If the droid work isn't up to scratch, then I think we should abandon the concept of a live action film and start looking at doing an animated film.

15. DVCPRO-HDeditor

DVCPRO-HDeditor Jedi Master star 4

Nov 24, 2006
    Heh . . . . as for an in-universe explanation, there's the Shi'ido and the Clawdites. Larson could change his appearance (even to appear as a she) and then modify the Flare's transponder code. It would only have to be explained once, with maybe one reminder later in the story, and the rest could remain relatively untouched.

Just an option, you know. :-B

EDIT: That is to say, we could keep the script as it is, without having to worry overmuch about the Larson character being on more than one crew's set. Maybe get a CG Clawdite Larson so we could morph from actor #1, to CG, to actor #2. (Being a changeling is all about hiding the fact that you are one, so there's no real reason for a Clawdite Larson to walk around looking like a Clawdite.)

16. drewjmore

drewjmore Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 15, 2007
    Shape-shifting is an interesting idea, especially if it helps the writers with their current block. The only wrinkle there is avoiding the (otherwise accurate :D ) appearance that were just throwing in a skin-change because we can't get the same actor in front of two (or four) separate cameras...

IMO a quick morphing scene or two wouldn't be a major pain to put together from a VFX perspective, just need clean plates of both actors and perhaps some reference head-shot photos of them.

17. backdeskproductions

Aug 17, 2007

I know this would seem like the best thing to do at this point... but it still defeats the purpose of multiple film crews from different parts of the world. Which is the primary goal.

[face_flag] Goal: Make a low budget feature length Star Wars fan film using multiple film crews from all over the world.

We will stretch the limits of filmmaking. And we will also network with talented filmmakers. There is a lot of good that can come of this and I think that is what we should focus on.

there goes another one of my sparkly speeches again. :rolleyes:

18. Jedsithor

Oct 1, 2005
    Well as I've said on numerous occasions, all the script needs is a slight adjustment and it can be done without the need for making Larson a Changeling or a suited alien or a cg character.

19. LLL

Jul 16, 2000
    Actually, Ish and I had just about worked our way around the problem.

But Darth RL keeps getting in the way...

20. Jedsithor

Oct 1, 2005
    Shoot me a pm with the problem. I'll see if I can help.

21. LLL

Jul 16, 2000
    WHAT'S HAPPENING! 9/10/08

Ish is sick, so she and I will be double-teaming the rewrite, starting, we hope, tomorrow.

22. backdeskproductions

Aug 17, 2007
  23. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Thanks. I managed to get to a doctor and found out all the nasty stuff my body was doing to my ear, then went in for a checkup and found out that it was worse and the medicine wasn't working, so now I'm REALLY doped up.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  24. backdeskproductions

Aug 17, 2007

:D

25. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Thanks to some incredible brainstorming help and long-winded speculation sessions with LLL, the new version of Part III is up. Sp1m is now a minor character who I love dearly and Bot is still unnamed. There's intrigue, drug addicts and even a thrilling chase scene! Go read at the main thread!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.