main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi vs Sith prequel movie idea

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by backdeskproductions, Jan 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVCPRO-HDeditor

DVCPRO-HDeditor Jedi Master star 4

Nov 24, 2006
    I think this will be something of a "mid-generation" project. The oldbies have seen this idea come and go, so the overall cynicism would, in general, keep them from being enthusiastic. At the same time, newbies love the idea, but have no idea how much work is required. We need the people right in the middle - still energetic enough to get things done, but sufficiently experience to realize what is and isn't possible.

Which reminds me - I need to go back and re-read the finished script.

2. drewjmore

drewjmore Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 15, 2007
    The whole script is now up on the offsite forum.
    I'm wondering about ways to display the document in a more user friendly format.

Script Thread on the ADQ free-forum

I've also just pruned out about 100 spam accounts from that site,
    and activated the "reply to the e-mail we just sent you
    before your account can be used" function.
    Existing users should not be impacted.

3. backdeskproductions

backdeskproductions Jedi Master star 3

Aug 17, 2007

Yes you are!!

4. drewjmore

Aug 15, 2007
    http://pc.celtx.com/

I've entered the script into Celtex.
    If you don't know what that is, see the link above.
    Briefly it is an open-source software that would allow us to all work on a production project together. It combines the script, storyboards, cast & crew data, production schedule and IDK what else into a single document. Then they offer (for free) a hosting service which would allow us all to view and/or modify the project as we go.

My question is: should I upload what I've done so far, and thus make it more broadly available?

5. backdeskproductions

Aug 17, 2007

I have celtx so I have a biased answer.:p

6. drewjmore

Aug 15, 2007
    That's all the encouragement I need. I've never actually "used" Celtex, I just copied the script text into it and fixed the formatting. So any suggestions you can make would be welcome.

I'll upload soon, but I think I need to know your handle on Celtex to give you access to the shared project.
    My e-mail is in my profile, and I'm drewjmore on the Celtex host.

<edit> project is available here: http://pc.celtx.com/project/Ri72kAS7oR1V
    I'm not clear on a few things, especially whether we can use the collaboration features for free or if that requires the $5 periodic fee.

7. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    I've used CeltX, it's not bad. I'm on a Mac now though so it's no good to me, plus I use Final Draft, which I prefer but obviously everyone can't invest in.

What may be worthwhile is if you create a PDF copy of the script for people to read.

8. drewjmore

Aug 15, 2007
    I've got the freeware CutePDF, so that's an option.
    Celtex also exports Directly to HTML, and obviously text.

Name your preference, PM, email to me, or post in thread and I'll attach it to an e-mail back to you.
    I'm sending backdesk and DVCpro copies of the PDF right now, to the addresses listed in their profiles.

Jed, the Mac version of Celtex can be had from here: http://www.celtx.com/download.html
    Also, you've got no e-mail in your profile...

9. Jedsithor

Oct 1, 2005
    That link doesn't work for me. In fact I tend to have major problems with the CeltX site in general. Dunno if it's just me.

10. backdeskproductions

Aug 17, 2007
    Got it *thumbs up*
    [face_coffee]

11. DVCPRO-HDeditor

DVCPRO-HDeditor Jedi Master star 4

Nov 24, 2006
    Received. At 66 pages, we're looking at about, what, an hour and ten minutes of screen time? That's not too terrible.

Incidentally, I've recently gotten access to a JVC Everio GZ-MG20. Not the greatest camera ever, as it has a 1/6-inch CCD imager with 680K resolution, but it might be usable. I'm not sure - I'll leave that determination to those with more technical knowledge than me.

12. backdeskproductions

Aug 17, 2007

sssshhhhh... I'm reading.

[face_batting]

13. drewjmore

Aug 15, 2007
    The JVC mentioned above is SD, and the data is MPEG compressed before it is stored in camera.
    That means a number of unhealthy things for any effects-heavy film.
    Definitely a nice tool for location scouting and such, though.

We need to find a way to get full-HD (1920x1080) quality footage, IMO. I've shot a few things in the last few years, and the biggest regret I have is going through all of that effort and not having HD pictures of it.

I'd also suggest we ought to move it along faster than 66 minutes. Sorta hard to put a cap on it without even getting into the second draft, but an hour is a long time to expect someone to sit through unless it turns out stellar and even then it's always advisable to leave 'em begging for more rather than boring them.

14. Jedsithor

Oct 1, 2005
    I actually think it will be longer. There are a few scenes I think need to be added and a cpuple moved around a bit.

You have to remember that we're taking about 4-5 years for production and post given that there is a visual effect in pretty much every shot.

15. backdeskproductions

Aug 17, 2007
    Alrighty, I've just read the whole script straight through. I will be back on with some ideas tomorrow.

16. backdeskproductions

Aug 17, 2007
    So it's been a little longer than "tomorrow"... this idea could be revived ;)

DarthRicmu and drewjmore like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.