main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi vs. Sith: The Essential Guide to the Force

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Mar 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    pic questions:

xvii
    Who is the Twi'lek? Why is Qui-Gon one of the Lost 20?

who is looking at the bomb

who is the Nihilus-like figure opposite Kirana Ti?

who is the YV Vergere surrenders to?

46 and 53
    who is everyone in these pics?

who is cilghal healing?

that bpfasshi looks like some villains from New Droid Army. coincidence?

WHAT is Maul fighting?

2. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Vergere's story was explicitly she was a candidate, which apparently means that the Sith have an official word for breaking the Rule of Two without REALLY breaking it.

How...Sith.

3. RS_Randy

RS_Randy Jedi Youngling

Jul 27, 2003
    And remember, Vergere was led to Palpatine because she had been studying Jedi who had left the Jedi Order, such as... Dooku. Vergere was led to Palpatine by Dooku's trail according to Lumiya's story. No one ever claimed in canon that she was a full apprentice, or that she came before Dooku. She was after Dooku, according to Lumiya, but before the incidents of Rogue Planet in 29 BBY.

I really don't consider Vergere to be any more Sith, whatever Lumiya claims, than any of the Prophets, Inquisitors, Dark Side Adepts are. Just because you've had brief brushes with both the Sith and their philosophy does not make you a full blown Sith. If that were the case, then Jacen Solo would be a Si-- you know, never mind. Vergere can be a Sith, whatever. :_|

4. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    If you mean on the other side of Kun from her, I believe Brakiss. Streen lists the Jedi present in the text right above that, and all are recognizable except Brakiss and Tionne - and I think she's the one with her face just barely poking in on the right. I didn't see Dorsk 81 at first either, but he's way on the left, practically in the binding.

5. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I've been reading Wookiepedia, and apparently the First Great Schism lasted a century. Yet. JvS has the end of the war described as the year the war began - 24,500 BBY. Is there a source for it ending in 24,400 BBY?

6. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    It also says that the Jedi Civil War begins in 3961 BBY. I take the timeline at the start with a grain of salt (except when it says stuff I agree with, like "Revan and Malak become Sith Lords in 3961 BBY" [face_whistling]) . Accurate for the most part, but with a few minor inconsistancies here and there.

As for the source, is it possible that someone got it muddled up with the Hundred Year Darkness? :confused:

7. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I agree on the latter, but the guide constantly refers to 24,500 BBY as the end of the war in the section dedicated to it. Thus we learn about the Battle of Corulag and Battle of Columus. I assume that is a continuity decision, rather than mistake.

I wait for the day the Dark Jedi who ruled Kathol is mentioned, myself. Circa 11,500 BBY, apparently, but still no love.

8. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    [face_thinking]
    Hmmm.

It refers to it as an approximation.

It the war begins "around" 24,500 BBY, then there's nothing saying that it began and started within the same year just becuase it also ended around 24,500.

9. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    It begins and ends circa 24,500 BBY, I see on checking. So it could cover a year or a few years, assumedly. Not more than a decade, perhaps.

10. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Oh, yeah, 'course. I think you're spot on to question the "century long" thing.

Just pointing out that it's not neccessarily over in as short a space as a year. [face_peace]

11. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    What sounds cooler, though - a very small Republic encompassing the Slice at most, a vast amount of Dark Jedi and Jedi - entire planetary populations worth - going at it over a year in a devastating war over an incredibly short time - or...

A small Republic having a back and forth over years, with thousands involved in said back and forth, until one side is routed, on the edges of the Core, or in the depths of the Unknown Regions.

I quite like a short but utterly terrifying horrific war, myself, I must say. But that's just me.

12. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Well, when you put it that way....

13. JediPadawan007

JediPadawan007 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 1, 2007
    In the picture of Mara?s funeral who is the female stood behind Luke + can someone break down who everyone is in the picture of Luke on Sekot.

14. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Octa Ramis, I believe.

15. JediPadawan007

Nov 1, 2007
    Thanks

16. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    The Sekot one has several unidentified Jedi. Recognizable, though, are Madurrin (left of Luke's head), Cilghal (above his arm), Kyle Katarn (right of his sleeve), and Octa Ramis (right of Katarn).

Octa is also the woman at Mara's funeral (and how I recognized the Sekot one, actually).

EDIT: Beaten on Octa.

17. JediPadawan007

Nov 1, 2007
    Cheers

18. JediPadawan007

Nov 1, 2007
    The book also pretty much confirms that Palpatine used burst of speed to kill Masters Kolar & Tinn. The description of burst of speed says that the user seems to be moving at a normal speed while everyone else around them is moving very slowly. So I reckon in ROTS we where seeing burst of speed from Palpatines perspective, also the book states that using burst of speed is very, very draining which will have played a part in Palpatines later duel with Mace.

19. BlackRook

BlackRook Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 18, 2005

Ugh. That doesn't even make sense. The other guys are still reacting at normal speed, they're just gawking like idiots. This is just like how a skipped frame when Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan are running from droidekas somehow counted as "Force speed." I guess the Force can be used to excuse all editing mistake and poor decisions.

Remember the shootout at Docking Bay 94? There's a Stormtrooper that is seen dying about four times. Did they re-use the same take from different angles? No, the Stormtrooper is one of the Elite Super Cool Force Troopers (as seen in Force Unleashed 2: Even More Ridiculous Crap)! He was using Force Rewind on himself in a vain effort to go back in time in order to prevent his own death- but his mastery in the art wasn't complete enough to take him back to the point before he was shot, and unfortunately, he just ended up reliving his death three more times.

And in case anyone's wondering, R5-D4 was using Force Doppelganger.

20. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    That was intentionally meant to be Force speed.

21. Kaje

Kaje Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2005
    I know I interpreted it to be Force speed back when I first saw the movie in theaters.

22. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Why doesn't Anakin use Force speed on Mustafar?

The parabolic path of the jump, perhaps?

23. Kaje

Kaje Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2005
    Because he was a cocky little ****. Thought he didn't need it.

24. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    But would Force speed even be applicable in a situation where you're not traveling in a straight line and also working against gravity?

In the video games it sure wouldn't help.

25. BlackRook

BlackRook Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 18, 2005
    How odd, then, that it would be done by making the characters invisible for a frame or two, then showing them running at normal speed.

Maybe the technology "just wasn't available" back then...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.