main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi without a robe?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by ThatWanFromStewjon, Nov 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThatWanFromStewjon

ThatWanFromStewjon Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 8, 2012
    Hi,

I was just wondering if there was an "in universe" explanation for why Aayla Secura and Ahsoka do not wear the traditional Jedi outfit?

Cheers.

2. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    To my knowledge, which everyone agrees is vast, there is no explanation.

ThatWanFromStewjon likes this.
  3. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Because for some unimaginable reason, none of the male Jedi ever voiced any objections.

4. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Jedi robes aren't required jedi apparel.

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I was going to say "Because the producers wanted female eye candy" but this works.

6. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    I've heard posters here say it's because they're from "warm planets" and they need to dress appropriately for that environment.

To which I say: bah, humbug! Oops - wrong holiday. Happy Thanksgiving to my fellow Americans.

7. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    Ahsoka and Aayla are the most extreme examples because their outfits are skimpy to the point where it seems like the Council is allowing them solely to test the libidos of the heterosexual male, lesbian and bisexual Jedi population to the very limit and see who falls foul of the "no attachments" rule.

However, many of the named female Jedi don't wear the traditional robes. Shaak Ti wears a dress and a cloak. Luminara Unduli and Barriss Offee wear unique Mirialan robes and headdresses. The female Twi'lek Jedi often seen in the background of TCW's Temple scenes before she gets killed by Maul and Savage in the newsreel of Revival also wears robes like Barriss'.

Only the human or near-human female Jedi wear traditional robes. Alien women have no choice but to wear whatever their culture dictates, apparently. You don't find very many male Jedi of any species wearing robes that are non-traditional beyond a unique colour scheme and a bit of leather. There was a male human Jedi in one of the Republic comics who exposed his massive arms (and suffered for this when facing chemical weapons in a swamp), but his robes were otherwise traditional in design. At the younger end of the spectrum, we see Zatt (and, of course, Gungi) wearing non-traditional robes, but that's it.

8. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    I know the real reason, I was just wondering if there is a fictional one ;)

9. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    It kinda seems to me like Jedi don't really have a dress code, some wear the traditional uniforms and some don't. Kinda reminds me of FMA where the State Alchemists other than Coronal Mustang and Major Armstrong who actually rank up in the Amestrian Military seem to view wearing a military uniform as optional despite being 'dogs of the military'.

10. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    The Financial Management Association???:confused:

11. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
  12. Narutakikun

Nov 8, 2012
    In all seriousness, Jedi are supposed to wear clothing that's 1) humble and 2) inconspicuous. For all we know, by the standards of their native cultures, that could be exactly what Aayla and Ahsoka are doing.

Remember that standards for these things are very culturally-based. Clothing that, in America in 2012, we would consider completely normal on women includes stuff that would have been considered scandalous in 1880, and is considered shameful in some parts of the world even now. And one view or the other is not necessarily objectively right or wrong - they're just different views.

Here's a political cartoon I saw a while ago that touches on that idea:
    [​IMG]

Both arguments have some validity to them. Both are correct, from a certain point of view. And we all know about how dependent the truths we cling to are on our own point of view.

Anyhow, as a multiculturally tolerant organization, it seems the Jedi as an organization simply decided not to take sides in this debate. Whether you wear something closer to that bikini (Aayla, Ahsoka), or something closer to that burqa (Luminara, Barriss), as long as you can swing a lightsaber, it's fine either way.

13. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    What's the "traditional Jedi outfit"?

[​IMG]

14. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    Ahsoka has the cloak, but not the robes beneath.

Compare and contrast:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    why does Anakin wear black instead of the tradition brown?

16. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    I'd say the cloak = a robe; and the rest of Adi Gallia's outfit is more similar to a Jiu Jitsu Gi.

17. Narutakikun

Nov 8, 2012
    Also, "chicken and egg" question: Did Ahsoka's tights inspire Homura's, or was it the other way around?

[​IMG]

18. Hero of Tukayyid

Hero of Tukayyid Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 23, 2012
    I think they have a design team somewere on the Far-East, so...

19. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I do tend to see some animu infliences in TCW from time to time.

20. Hero of Tukayyid

Nov 23, 2012
    Like what else?

21. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Ahsoka's reverse grip (yeah there is Starkiller but whatever. Filoni said he was a Princess Mononoke fan) . The markings on Ahsoka's face. She kinda resembles a magic girl doesn't she? Then there was the Kage Warriors. Tell me Krismo didn't look like bit like a bishonen anime dude?

22. Hero of Tukayyid

Nov 23, 2012
    Krismo looked like a night elf. What is a bishonen?

23. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    A beautiful looking boy and not a bad thing at all.

24. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Ahsoka wearing a Jedi robe is awkward

25. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Does look like the hood would be hard to get over her horns doesn't it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.