main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive JediKnightSkywalker's FanArt *1/7 Updated - "Episode I" Progress - "The Star Wars" Film Series Mural

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by JediKnightSkywalker, Dec 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediKnightSkywalker

JediKnightSkywalker Jedi Youngling

Dec 23, 2008
    Greetings all, JKS here.

Well I've officially begun work on the single LARGEST piece of Artwork I have ever done to date; Titled "The STAR WARS."

It's a mural of All Six Theatrical "Star Wars" Motion Pictures, from "The Phantom Menace" to "Return of the Jedi." Each Episode will be given 5 parts of the, in total, 30 part mural. And by part, I mean piece of 18x24 drawing paper.

To give you an idea of the size, I've taken a picture of three sheets positioned vertically sitting beside my laptop. These three are from the "Indiana Jones" film mural I'm currently wrapping up:

Paper Size Example

Now imagine five of these, and imagine them positioned horizontally rather than vertically...now put 6 sets side by side.

The work, when complete, will be 24 inches tall and an unprecedented (as far as my work goes) 60 feet long.

And to cap it all off, the Mural will have a title card connected on top bearing the title of "The STAR WARS" and an extra bottom portion with the famous phrase "A Long Time Ago, In A Galaxy Far Far Away..."

I've now set up this thread to chronicle the conception, creation and completion of this work and I'm excited for all of you Star Wars and Fan Art fans on the boards to share in the journey.

May the Force Be With Me!

2. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Wow, sounds very cool!! Are you going to keep us updaetd with shots of the work as you progress?

Also, the link you provided doesn't work for non-MySpace users :(

3. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    This sounds like something that I will want to follow. :)

Nat is right; non-MySpace users cannot see your work through the link.

4. JediKnightSkywalker

Dec 23, 2008
    I've fixed the link in the initial post to link from my photobucket so everyone can see it now.

And yes, I'll be posting progress pictures as we go along. Everyone will be able to follow from Brainstorming, to plotting and positioning, to pencilling, inking, coloring and assembly.

I was originally intending to do this work along the same lines as the 'Indiana Jones' piece, but I've decided to make it even larger for the fact that compared to 'Indy,' 'Star Wars' just has a considerably larger volume of content. I think it was initially going to be 37 feet in length with the paper positioned vertically, but having the paper horizontal will give me more latitude for ships and the like.

Since tomorrow's going to be busy for a lot of us, I'll start posting pic links on Friday starting with the brainstorming and plotting processes.

5. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    It'll be very interesting to see how you go through the process of creating this mural project. :)

6. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I can't see it :( The link works, but the pencil isn't showing up :(

And what Gunny meant to say was, "Nat is always right." :p

7. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    The link is just supposed to show the paper size that he's using; he'll start to post the actual images starting Friday. ;)

8. JediKnightSkywalker

Dec 23, 2008
    Oh lol don't worry it's just the paper itself...there's no pencil on there yet :p

But, here's a small example of my work. This is from the "The Last Crusade" portion of my 'Indiana Jones' mural. Depicting Marcus Brody and Sallah:

"TLC" Brody/Sallah example

9. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Very nice!!

You see, I mentioned the pencil because I thought I saw faint marks on the sheets. This means I am not hallucinating and am Officially Going Crazy 8-}

10. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Wow, nice drawing! :)

It'll be very interesting to see your work on the SW murals.

11. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Welcome to Fan Art! :)

That's quite the project to take on and I wish you the best of luck with it! I'll be following the progress closely.

If you get a chance, could you also show some progress pics of the Indiana Jones piece as well? I'm curious to see how it's turning out. :)

12. JediKnightSkywalker

Dec 23, 2008
    Absolutely! Once I finish the 'Last Crusade' portion I'll take some pics of it along with the already completed 'Raiders' and 'Temple of Doom' portions as well.

13. JediKnightSkywalker

Dec 23, 2008
    So tomorrow I'll be putting up pictures of the notes I've taken. As I said before, you guys are coming along the journey from it's inception.

Right now I'm concentrating on finishing up the "Indy" mural, so work on "The STAR WARS" will probably seriously begin in about a week, give a day or two.

But in the meantime I just found out quite the interesting fact:

The famous "HOLLYWOOD" sign in California stands 45 feet tall. Meaning, once completed, if you were to put my mural on its side it would be taller than the sign by a clear 15 feet (!!!!!)

14. JediKnightSkywalker

Dec 23, 2008
  15. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Good to plan ahead :D

I can't read them, though.

16. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Nice start. Breaking everything down into characters, elements and scenes gives you a way to stay organized. :)

17. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    This sounds really cool. Organization is key to some great art.

18. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I assume each panel is going to transition into the next to make one big composition? Maybe something similar to what Struzan did with the Special Edition posters?

I'm curious to see what your plan is for that.

19. JediKnightSkywalker

Dec 23, 2008
    Well my original intentions were to have each Episode be it's own beast...but then have the entire thing linked by having the Episode Numbers ("I," "II," so on) be a common factor...Along with a few subtle aspects that parallel between both trilogies (i.e. perhaps having Anakin and Vader positioned symmetrically)

That's what I was thinking...but I'm open to suggestion of any kind.

20. JediKnightSkywalker

Dec 23, 2008
    After a collective total of 53 hours of work, I've finally finished pencilling the "Indiana Jones" Mural. This will give you a good indication of where the "Star Wars" mural will go:

"Raiders" Part 1

"Raiders" Part 2

"Raiders" Part 3

"Temple of Doom" Part 1

"Temple of Doom" Part 2

"Temple of Doom" Part 3

"Last Crusade" Part 1

"Last Crusade" Part 2

"Last Crusade" Part 3

"Crystal Skull" Part 1

"Crystal Skull" Part 2

"Crystal Skull" Part 3

I'll be starting work on the "Phantom Menace" mural sometime by the end of the week once I've inked and colored the "Indy" mural in full.

21. JediKnightSkywalker

Dec 23, 2008
  22. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Nicely done! You did a good job incorporating all the different elements of the film together. It would be interesting to see the three panels laid out on the ground and photographed together to get the full effect.

I look forward to the beginning stages of the TPM mural. :)

23. JediKnightSkywalker

Dec 23, 2008
  24. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    WOW this is amazing to follow seeing in in progress

25. JediKnightSkywalker

Dec 23, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.