main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Des Moi, IA JedIowan Council Social Thread!

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Jedi_Dajuan, Mar 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    Well, it's been almost two weeks and he hasn't gotten any better. We're going to have to try a few things to see if we can reduce the cat dander. Else we may have to find other homes for two of the three.

2. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    I feel your pain. I'm allergic to most cats, and it gets painful sometimes, since we have 3. It was really bad when we moved back to the mainland from Hawaii --we were travelling cross country in a Dodge Neon with my wife and I and 3 cats. Needless to say, my allergies went nuts the whole trip.

Once we get to a house, I'm better, but being cooped up with them makes the allergies go nuts. Fortunately, the cats we have a shorthair, which I'm less allergic to. But I'm looking forward to when our cats go away and we can get a dog instead. Not nearly so allergice to dogs. ;) :)

Good luck!!!

3. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    We'll find out in a couple days if we can fix it. Friday we bought some air purifiers and I got some stuff to put on the cats to reduce the dander. Hopefully they help some as well. The one cat we have up here now loves Doug too, she keeps snuggling between us at night. It is like they know who is allergic to them and attaches to that person :p

How is everyone else lately? Gotten over the post-C4 blues yet?

4. gandalfbmg

gandalfbmg Jedi Master star 2

May 16, 2002
    Get one of those ionic air purifier stand things, and spend the extra money for the expensive furnace filters (and replace them more than once a year ;) ), it'll help. A good vaccuum, preferrably one with HEPA filtration. Brush the cats frequently (and outside). These are my tips to you, from experience of two severe allergy sufferers who also love animals... :D

5. mirax80

mirax80 Retired Midwest RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I know one of my ex-boyfriends hated going to my place because of my sister's cat - highly allergic. But his current girlfriend is a cat nut - and I think they have 2 now. She has him taking some kind of allergy pill everyday so he can co-habit with the animals.

6. hothie

hothie Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 12, 2004
    We did buy some air purifiers, but not the ionic kind, cause they expel ozone, which makes the room worse. We have changed the filter on the furnace to the expensive one, and Dajuan is vacuuming more frequently. I'm going to the docs Wednesday to see what they can do.

7. gandalfbmg

gandalfbmg Jedi Master star 2

May 16, 2002
    If nothing else, Clariton is available over the counter... It's not the best stuff out there but it is the best that doesn't put you to sleep and w/o a perscription...

8. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    We went to the allergist last week. The doctor gave him a couple different things that seem to be working very well. Apparently Clairiton doesn't help with congestion at all, so it wasn't making a big enough difference. Have to go back this week, so we'll see what they say then.

Doesn't help that I broke the vaccum a few times last week. I swear all I have to do is touch one and it breaks, this is the 4th or 5th one I've broken! First I thought it was just the belt, fixed that and immediately snapped another one. That led me to the realization that the bag was overfull, fixed that then snapped another belt. Fixed something else on it and snapped another couple belts. Think it's time to take it into the shop and put Doug in charge of the vaccuming from now on.

9. ArchaicRebel

ArchaicRebel Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2004
    I recommend the Dyson -14 model. It'll suck a golf ball through a garden hose. In all seriousness, it's made for houses with pets, so it's more thorough than the regular -7 model and holds onto dander and pollen better. I'm highly allergic to cats and it's probably the only thing that makes living with a cat tolerable. Aside from the cuteness, that is. Now if I'd just be smart enough to close all the windows and us the AC, I wouldn't have such a problem with the cottonwoods!

10. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    Cottonwoods are pure evil and shouold be thrown into the pits of Hell!!! [face_frustrated]

11. ArchaicRebel

May 11, 2004
    Indeed. Let's give them to Iowa. I think they have enough humidity in the air to keep the cottonwoods from being airborne.

12. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    Fine by me. They'd be downwind anyways, so no worries here. [face_mischief]

13. ArchaicRebel

May 11, 2004
    Then it's settled: We're trojan-horsing our cottonwoods on Iowa along with foisting our insanity upon them.

14. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Humidity isn't that bad here. You can keep your damn cottonwoods though. Send them down south, they need more vegetation. We found out Doug's allergic to lots of grasses and rag weed, cat not nearly as much.

15. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    Heh, I went into the allergist last year, and they did that skin test thing where they mark up your arm in a grid and see how allergic you are to various allergens?

I had the largest reactions she'd ever seen. I reacted so badly [face_sick] to just the skin tests that they had to give me a shot of benadryl and put me on a nebulizer. I fell asleep in the chair for 2 hours. I-)

Weeds, spores, molds, fungus, trees, cats, dogs, etc. Allergic to them all. Luckily the cat/dog allergy isn't so bad. But Egon Spengler, I am not. [face_plain]

16. unihawk

unihawk Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 23, 2004
    I guess I'm lucky to only be lactose intolerance. I only have problems if I eat ice cream or drink real milk.

17. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Yeah, I avoid those foods too. Mainly cigarette smoke and dust bother me, guess I'm lucky :p

Why did no one tell me about Iowa in the summer? It's down right chilly here sometimes. I love it :D

18. unihawk

Mar 23, 2004
    Wait 5 minutes, It will be over 90 tomorrow.

19. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    We've been hitting 100 in Denver the last few days. Thankfully we had a "cold front" come through and it's down in the 80s today. :D

20. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    That's what I heard. When we come up in July, order us some nice weather :p

21. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    I'll put the requisition in with the proper authorities. ;)

22. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Please do :) After this last weekend we need some relaxation and nice weather. We brought the other cats back home with us and they went batty and kept Doug up a good part of the night, and me up some as well.

23. unihawk

Mar 23, 2004
    I'm sure it was just the long car ride that got to them, I know it got to me the last time I went to St. Louis.

24. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Excellent weather in Denver, nice work there Obey :p

So how's everyone been lately?

25. unihawk

Mar 23, 2004
    I-) In need of sleep. Been up late every nite reading both HP 5 and now 7. I'm half way thur 7 hope to have it done by the weekend so I can sleep in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.