main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive jedipencil's catastrophic mess... (April 24)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by jedipencil, Oct 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedipencil

jedipencil Star Wars Sketch Card Artist star 1 VIP

Oct 30, 2006
    Hi everyone, I'm a newbie here. Thought I'd show some stuff I've been doing, because I just love doing this....If you would like to critique, that would be much appreciated! By the way, does anyone know how to put pictures in directly? I haven't figured it out I thank you all for your time...

And because I used to train horses...

2. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Greetings, jedipencil (love the username, btw! :) ), and a warm welcome to the Fan Art forum!

WOW!! What wonderful artwork! I absolutely love all of them (and being a pencil jockey myself, it's always a wonderful treat to see pencil sketches and drawings!): beautiful job with all the likenesses, and the shading is excellent, with good contrasts and smoothness. The way you "frame" your work is also very unique--the one of Princess Leia is especially pretty! The collage of Luke and Anakin is wonderful--lots of emotion in that one, and emotion always gets me in art! :D Was the Boba Fett done in watercolors? It sure looks that way, and if so, it's a fantastic job of it (I can't do paint of any kind to save my soul, and watercolors are toughest of all!)! And the horse portrait is so beautiful--was this an animal you knew (or know...?)? Very, very pretty!

As to showing a thumbnail, just use the "Markup Codes" provided in the link at the top of any forum page (I just printed out that entire set of directions when I started, so I had them handy whenever I posted!)--to post a thumbnail that will link to the image at your hosting site, use the format:

[image=imageURL] No spaces in there at all, and use the direct image URL provided by your hosting site. For your Luke/Anakin piece it would look like this:

[image=http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/9088/anakinluke2dq0.jpg]

For a link (which is also perfectly acceptable), use:

--Any text here you wish to include, such as a name or title

Like this:

Luke and Anakin

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask anyone, or you can also Private Message (PM) our forum moderator, Nidrail (again, a link on any forum page, or in a forum post).

Again--welcome to the forum and we're so glad you chose to join our community!

FF

3. jedipencil

Oct 30, 2006
    Thanks so much for the compliments, FalconFan! And thanks for the markup advice, I'll use it for my next post. Yep, Boba Fett is in watercolor (I,m still trying to get the hang of it :) ) and the horse, well, my illustration carreer began in the horse industry, so I've drawn gadgillions of them and enjoy it very much. I'm trying to take that knowledge with me to the "dark side" :D Again, thanks for the warm welcome!

4. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    Welcome, Jedipencil! I love all your drawings. I especially like the one with Luke and Anakin. Great job!

I look forward to seeing more work from you in the future!

AG88

5. Kaal-Jhyy

Kaal-Jhyy Jedi Youngling

Sep 12, 2005
    Welcome :)
    You may be a "newbie" on those threads, but you're surely not a "newbie" in drawing. Your work is great! ;)

6. soitscometosith

soitscometosith Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 30, 2005
    Your pencilwork is beautiful - welcome to the forums.

7. jedipencil

Oct 30, 2006
    Here is my latest attempt, with Luke Skywalker...
    [image=http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/8969/lukehx9.jpg]

8. academygrad88

Apr 6, 2004
    Excellent job! I love seeing the two aspects of Luke, the naive Farmboy and then the Jedi Master. Great work!

AG88

9. jedipencil

Oct 30, 2006
    Thanks academygrad88! :)

10. TheOnlyJediPrincess

TheOnlyJediPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 11, 2006
    Very Cool. I also like the aspect of jedi master and farmboy.

11. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Goodness, that's beautiful!!

=D==D=

This is just gorgeous: perfect likenesses (**is so jealous!** :D ), stunning coloring (watercolors again...? **even more jealous** ;) ) and a beautiful composition...just wow!! This really looks like it should be matted, framed and hanging in someone's fanboy/fangirl gallery--just amazing!

I can't get over how professional these look--do you do these professionally...? I meant to ask that before now, but didn't--and if you don't, you really should! I'd buy any one of them! :D Wonderful, wonderful work!

FF

12. jedipencil

Oct 30, 2006
    Gee thanks FalconFan! I am a pro illustrator, but I've been working mostly in the horse market. I'm trying to get into other markets now, especially SF, sketch cards, gaming...whoever will take me! I love what I do. I saw your thread - you are bleeping good yourself!:D

13. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    "I'm trying to get into other markets now, especially SF, sketch cards, gaming...whoever will take me! I love what I do."

Oh, do-it do-it do-it!! Put together a portfolio, check with some other artists that already do sketch cards and lithos (take a look in the Authors & Artists forum here for artists that might be willing to help you out with advice) and get the word and work out! I'm certain you'll find yourself an LFL licensed artist in no time (it's happened to a lot of artists that have started in our forum, believe it or not!)! Best of luck, don't give up and we hope you'll continue to share your work with us here, even when you're famous! :D ;)

FF

14. jedipencil

Oct 30, 2006
    You are one of the nicest people I've met so far in my 9 month online experiences! I've been trying to get advice, but it's not easy when you don't know very many people, and the people I have contacted, won't write me back! How about yourself? You are very talented - have you been marketing yourself? You must be busy enough already... :)

15. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    "it's not easy when you don't know very many people, and the people I have contacted, won't write me back!"

Persistence, my dear--persistence (...or is it "pesti-ness...?" I can't recall, but I think both are necessary to get noticed! ;) )! Don't let anyone blow you off--be polite and bother them until they reply in some fashion or other. In my experience, the "squeaky wheel" theory is an absolute truth: keep your work and your respect right up there at the top of their "inbox" and in the end, they'll share something with you! Another thing I've heard can be effective is to take a portfolio of your work to some of the conventions (...all the conventions...?) out there (ComicCon, The SW Celebrations, DragonCons, etc.)--nearly all the companies that offer things like sketch cards are usually represented at these events, as well as the artists already doing those types of things. If you can't get one of the company reps to look at your stuff, try to get a card, or an address to which you can send a portfolio for them to look at. The artists are (from what I've heard) normally pretty nice, and will talk to you about how to get licensed, even if they might not have time to look at your work. These are just some of the ways to try "breaking into" the SW art business (but I'm certain there are more--ask around with some of those already licensed).

And me? I'm just an fangirl that expresses it in visual rather than verbal form, lol! I also take ages to complete a piece--and to work professionally, I think one needs to be more prolific than one drawing per month (...or sometimes less than that for me! :rolleyes: )! I do this for giggles-and-grins, mostly, and post it here because others seem to like it, which is even more fun for me.

I sure wish you the best of luck on getting licensed--like I said, it's happened to a lot of young artists that have participated in our forum, and I'm sure--with some perseverence--it will happen for you, too; I'd sure buy your sketch cards! :D

FF

16. jedipencil

Oct 30, 2006
    Thanks FalconFan! You're right, as a pro you have to produce lots of stuff and on time...but there are worse ways to make a living! Though I'm not quite up to making a living yet. But you're also right - pest-iness :D also helps in many things! But you should be doing stuff with your work too! It's too good to "just do"! Oh, and I'm not that young actually...I'm over 30!:eek:

17. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I wanted to comment on this thread for a few days now, but just got around to it.

Not much else I can say but, WOW! You have some great things going on here and I particularly love what you've done with that horse drawing(I can see where you've made a living doing that ;) ). I would really love to see more of your SW art when you've got the time. I know the career of an illustrator can be demanding. ;)

I also see that you're in the business so to speak. I'm currently a junior illustration major and my school is VERY strict with deadlines, quality and the like. Anyway, I guess my main question is how hard is it really to "break" into the business? I've heard a lot of varying opinions on this and I can't help but be scared that I'll be without a job once I graduate.

18. jedipencil

Oct 30, 2006
    Thanks HanSolo29! I'm not "in the business" yet. Well the horse business, yes, but that is mostly because I used to work with and train horses. I still ride when I can. So I met alot of people. That seems to be key. Now I want to illustrate many other things - Star Wars, SF, medieval, all that really interests me so I'm trying to meet people in this area. FalconFan has good advice I think. Seeing as where I live, I will never meet anyone in this business, I will have to do it virtually I guess. Alot of learning on my part. :) I can't give any better advice than that, HanSolo29, 'cause I'm not there either! But I hope to be!:)

19. Vandalier

Vandalier Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 15, 2006
    Dang. Don't you just hate it when you can't add anything because people before you have said it already?

Oh well.

Nice stuff! Your shading has a lot of depth that causes me to stare for long seconds.

20. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    :eek:

These are simply gorgeous drawings, jedipencil! I love the horse one... absolutely stunning. I can tell that you love horses just from that drawing! :) I am so jealous... I'm more of a writer and musician than an artist! :p 8-} And I love the ones of Luke. Most wonderful!

=D=

21. jedipencil

Oct 30, 2006
    Well thank you Idrelle_Miocovani!! :D Horses got me my first work in illustration.

22. jedipencil

Oct 30, 2006
    Hey all! Here are my latest sketch cards... let me know what you think! :)
    [image=http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/2428/cardhansolo3ht1.jpg]
    [image=http://img489.imageshack.us/img489/1307/cardcreaturebq5.jpg]
    [image=http://img385.imageshack.us/img385/8973/cardshaktirw8.jpg]

23. BIEREN

BIEREN Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 12, 2005
    Great work, the Gamorean Looks fantastic as do the others.

24. academygrad88

Apr 6, 2004
    Great job on all of them!

AG88

25. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Yowza!!

:eek:=D==D=

Fantastic!! Han is gorgeous--you really got his likeness down perfectly! And that Gamorean!! I can almost feel the foul breath from him on me! lol! Adding in that little bit of drool is inspired! [face_laugh] Shaak Ti looks beautiful--including two views of her really captures her unique look (love the "steepled fingers" pose...so pretty!). Gosh, I really can't see any reason why one of the card companies wouldn't just snap you right up--these are all gorgeous!

FF

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.