main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Jedi's Destiny" Please read and comment

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Neon Star, Jun 15, 1999.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Varian Denubius

Varian Denubius Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 28, 1998
    I still think the double bladed lightsaber is made as an offensive weapon. It is not a staff as Cromwell has said. Even though Darth Maul parried both his front and back I think he could have done that with a single lightsaber as well. He mostly used his double blade to parry vertically. A feat I think a single blade could do.

2. Ubiqtorate

Ubiqtorate Jedi Youngling

Jul 17, 1999
    If I'm not mistaken, (though I very well may be,) West End has already published rules regarding the use of double-bladed lightsabers in the Tales of the Jedi sourcebook... and to my knowledge they say nothing about it being a Sith-only weapon. One of the more experienced Jedi with whom I play uses a double-bladed saber regularly. As per the Jedi Code, he uses it for "defense, never for attack," but often it has proved to his advantage to be able to defend against twice as many adversaries as he could with a normal lightsaber.

Unfortunately, with the current scarcity of West End materials, it may be very difficult for me to substantiate these claims with any evidence. If you choose to limit the double-bladed lightsaber to only the Sith in your campaigns, be my guest. Until anybody can come up with some hard evidence that somehow the use of a double-bladed weapon is inherently evil, I will make no such qualifications in my own campaigns.

--Ubiqtorate

3. howlrunner22

howlrunner22 Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 24, 1998
    I think the double-bladed saber is perfectly acceptable for light Jedi to use. But I also think that they only use the double blade function when dealing with two or more opponents, turning the other one on in one-on-one confrontations.

All this, of course, when saving innocent civilians, flexing muscle and showing off to the locals...

4. Filzar

Filzar Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 12, 1999
    well in the book i belive, darth maul had a very special lightsaber that alowed it to be both. i belive in the book that a double bladed saber was just another techique that was used but was lost, not that it was bad. as for me i would allow it but it would be a much more difficult to use. like stated above you would have at least roll a 20 not to cut your self and at least a 30 to hit. you would not be able to certain things that you would be able to do with a single blade. qui-gon and darth were the best in the galaxy preaty much. qui getting old and obi getting up to qui level and would have execeded he as qui-gon expected him too.

5. Innst Lo Bi

Innst Lo Bi Jedi Youngling

Jul 20, 1999
    I can't see how a weapon can be 'intrinsically evil' even if it is used for attack more than defence...

As for that point though, if you watch TPM, Darth Maul (definitely evil) does use a dual ended lightsabre but mainly in defence. The two blades are really good at defending against two attacks but it is harder to attack with a double-ended one because if yo lunge the other blade is coming towards you...

I think it's just a tool for a show-off!

6. Ubiqtorate

Ubiqtorate Jedi Youngling

Jul 17, 1999
    Theoretically, I suppose, a particularly skilled Jedi could use a single blade with just as much prowess as a double blade. Watch the scenes in The Phantom Menace, for example, when Qui-Gon, in a split second, flashes his lightsaber around, first hitting something above and in front of him, then hitting something below and behind him. One effortless move. One blade. Who really needs two, anyway?

--Ubiqtorate

7. Filzar

Filzar Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 12, 1999
    as i said above, it is a diff style of fighting. kinda like why have more then one kind of martial arts. it is a harder skill to learn then a single blade but being masters in either one would make it comperable

8. Kith Aris

Kith Aris Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 17, 1999
    The double bladed lightsaber has a dark history, it seems, in the Star Wars universe. Apparently Freedon Nadd used one. So did Exar Kun, and now Darth Maul. I personally, who has a little experience in this kind of thing, think that the LightStaff is not all that effective overall than a lightsaber, and the main reason for having Darth Maul with one was simply 'to be different'. I mean, really, I thought Darth Maul was much more dangerous when his LightStaff got cut in half, and was using traditional lightsaber moves.... well, not traditional, because I have never seen anyone move like Darth Maul does in battle. If I had to fight Darth Maul with my lightsaber, and he had to either have a regular saber or a lightstaff, I would prefer him to use the lightstaff.

9. Kith Aris

Sep 17, 1999
    If you all go to the StarWars technical commentaries, then go past the first menu, you will find this one menu dedicated to people that contributed to the site. One is by a Kendo Master named Robert Brown. Under his menu, he has one of the best StarWars sites on the internet, a complete analysis of lightsabers and their usage.

In his professional (14 years+experience ) in both Kendo and Laido, that he thinks that to use a lightstaff is beyond extremely difficult. He says a lot of what you see is in due part, to Ray Parks skill. He mentions it over and over again the many dangers that a lightstaff offers, and not too many benefits.

10. Innst Lo Bi

Jul 20, 1999
    Kith: I had a look for that article by the Kendo master earlier and couldn't find it. Any chance of posting the URL?

I've just had a look at this site (as recommended above) and it's pretty good.
    http://www.synicon.com.au/sw/ls/sabres.htm http://www.synicon.com.au/sw/ls/sabres.htm

The double-ended saber's dark history is definitely a point but I don't think this would restrict it to sith only. I still maintain, the weapon itself is no more evil than a regular saber.

11. Kith Aris

Sep 17, 1999
    That is the site. I cant post links like that with WebTV.

Star Wars is about symbolism. I mean, based on that, the swatika is not an evil design. But, as of 1932, it is an evil sign, simply because what is represented by it.

The LightStaff seems to be the same. In more than one publication, they are refered to as Sith Sabers. And the Sith simply are probably worse in the Star Wars Universe, than the Nazi's were on earth.

12. Innst Lo Bi

Jul 20, 1999
    Hmmm... Interesting point.

I'll have a think. In TPM, no-one was aghast that Maul used a double ended one (oo-er!) just that he was 'skilled in the Jedi arts'. Maybe the fact that Maul's predecessors like Exar Kun used one is not common galactic knowledge; the symbolism thing would therefore be largely irrlevant. You might be right though.

God, I'm decisive today!

13. jsd

jsd Jedi Youngling

Mar 7, 1999
    innst lo bi your always decisive.

[This message has been edited by jsd (edited 09-20-1999).]

14. Innst Lo Bi

Jul 20, 1999
    All right jsd, YOU can GM tonight's session, I can't be bothered. That's decisive for you! lol!

[This message has been edited by Innst Lo Bi (edited 09-20-1999).]

15. Innst Lo Bi

Jul 20, 1999
    "An elegant weapon for a more civilised time"

To the Jedi, the lightsabre was obviously symbolic, more than being just butt-hard, it symbolised simplicity and purity.

Perhaps this is why a double-ended one is perceived as being evil, it is a 'corruption' of the Jedi's most obvious symbol.

16. Jim

Jim Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 8, 1998
    Here's a good conversation that got shuffled down to page 7.

My 2 cred's worth is that the double-bladed 'saber is neither Dark nor Light, but I don't see ever using one in my campaign, for 2 reasons.

<OL TYPE=1>
    <LI>None of my rules can account for it.
    <LI>It's been done already (darn Lucas!)
    </OL>

More opinions?

17. Ping

Ping Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 23, 1998
    OOOOOOO YEEEEESSSSSS!!!!!!!!! JEDI ICONS!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, I'm find, really. Just noticed them.
    If you think about the movies, the most powerful light-side Jedi Master doesn't even have a saber.

Um, just thought I'd point that out.

18. Moridin

Moridin RPG Author star 3 VIP

Apr 13, 1999
    I would let the Jedi construct the weapon, but remind him to keep in mind several things:

1) The Force is to be used for Defense, not Offense. Constructing such a weapon has both defensive and offensive advantages, and he should choose very carefully which advantages he excersizes. In combat, using the double blade extensively for offense is more likely to gain him a Dark Side Point, and anywhere that I would be torn between giving a DSP and not, I would lean more towards giving. Using for Defense is alright, but he is still treading on dangerous ground.

2) The double blade is traditionally a Sith weapon, and the single blade is one of the symbols of the Jedi. He is going to have some definite roleplaying disadvantages if any other Jedi learn of his use of such a weapon. He will have to endure the disapproval and lectures from his fellow Jedi on why such a lightsaber is unnecessary.

3) The Force is the ally of the Jedi, not the physical weapons. Remember, the Jedi is already above a normal being in power from his mastery of the Force. Such a weapon, much like the Death Star, is "insignificant next to the power of the Force." To construct a double-bladed sabre is not only unnecessary, but also a bit greedy or selfish on the part of the Jedi, which are also paths to the Dark Side of the Force.

19. Piing

Piing Jedi Youngling

Oct 2, 1999
    Yeah! Yeah! That's what I was trying to say! I'm glad there are other, articulate people out there.

20. Insane Anakin

Insane Anakin Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 1999
    Very interesting debate. I just think that two blades are evil, but, oh well. Just like some people think that guns are evil, although they may not be, you wouldn't want your kid making one, would you? Well, I guess you can see my point, I hope.

21. Han Soho

Han Soho Jedi Youngling

Oct 3, 1998
    Using a dual-blade sabre isn't inherently evil-in my opinion, it just shows how competent you are, being able to handle such a dangerous weapon.
    And Maul really didn't use the weapon to its full potential- he could have killed both Obi-Wan & Qui-Gon several times throughtout DOTF, and didn't.
    Besides, when there's one of you (Maul) and 10,000 of them, you ought to be entitled to use unconventional weapons.
    I'm writing a post-VP fanfic and I have Jedi weilding lightstaffs, so I'm definitely pro-lightstaff for Jedi.
    It's just like people saying AK-47s and such are 'evil' because they aren't designed to do multiple things, just one: kill people. Same goes for the lightstaff.
    'Nuff said.

22. Ping

Ping Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 23, 1998
    Babe, I don't think anyone's saying that the blade is inherently evil. I think that was kind of cleared up. But using a weapon like that . . . well, there's something distateful about it. True, there should be some good defensive qualities, but the fact that the best Jedi fighters (like Qui-Gon and Obi-wan) don't use it, while the strongest Jedi (Yoda) doesn't even wear one around seems to indicate that they have other ways of dealing with threats.

Again, yeah, a lot would depend on how you used it. If you use an AK-47 to kill children, you're evil. If you use it to defend those same children, that's another story. It'd be a fine line, and my Jedi would have to have a really hard time not falling to the Dark Side.

23. Jedi Teacher

Jedi Teacher Jedi Youngling

May 26, 1999
    I'm glad to see discussion still going on about this topic.
    From my point of view, hardly anything in and of itself is evil. It all depends upon how that thing is used. My original thinking was simply this: Using a weapon such as the double-bladed lightsabre requires an unhealthy attention toward a Jedi's combat training, which most Dark Jedi seem to stress to the utmost point of importance. As we all know, Jedi (the one exception being Luke Skywalker) are not trained with the specific intention of fighting. The main use of a lightsabre is a channel, a focal point of a Jedi's mastery of/oneness with the Force, a symbol of his or her responsibility to defend the weak and stand for righteousness, not a tool for war. Which is the double-bladed sabre most likely to be used for?
    Just a thought...

Jedi Teacher

24. Neon Star

Neon Star Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2000
    This is part of a small series that I am writing. Atrus and her family belong to me but everything else belongs to GL. I hope you like it.

Atrus Adventures: Book Two: Jedi's Destiny

Hello, my name is Atrus, and I am a female blackcat but I
    usually appear as a thirteen year old human girl. This is the
    story of how I got involved with Luke Skywalker's and his sister,
    Leia Organa's life. This takes place long before they were born,
    when I first met their father and mother, young Anikin Skywalker
    and Queen Arimadalla of Naboo.
    I was teaching my younger brother and sister, Lukey and Mara,
    when I felt a strange empty feeling that disappeared quickly. I
    immediately knew that my friend, and one time teacher, Quigon Jinn,
    had died. I was overcome with grief. My siblings came over and
    comforted me even though they only know half of it. John, upon
    feeling what I had felt since he is my brother and soulmate, came
    rushing out and ran to me and wrapped his strong arms around me. I
    was sobbing from the loss and just sank into him. He continued to
    hold me until I quieted down. "I know, Atrus," he whispered, "Go,
    if you need to and don't worry about the teaching. I'll take care
    of it. I love you."
    "Thank you. I love you too and I'll return soon." I told him
    and after I gave him a goodbye kiss, then transported myself to
    where I had last felt Quigon's presence.

25. Padawan Chiaru.

Padawan Chiaru. Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 28, 1999
    (brings out the kleenex) Aww that's beautiful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.