main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC JediWarrior And Connemara Missing In Afghanistan (Update: What a ****show.)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Fire_Ice_Death, Feb 21, 2013.

1. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    AT-60 and/or JW?

2. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
  3. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
  4. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Just...wow. I hope they get out okay and that they get the chance to bring up their baby safe and free.

5. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    Is it unusual for there to be kidnappings over there, not ask for a ransom, but eventually release them?

6. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    I know with the Austrian hostage in Yemen, there have yet to be any concrete demands, and it's still not clear who he's being held by. One report was that he was kidnapped by a tribe but then sold to a group with connections to Al Qaeda.

In both cases, I would think if it was just a local tribe who wanted cash, they'd probably come out with a ransom demand pretty quickly. If it's someone like Al Quaeda or the Taliban, maybe they want to hold on to them as a trading chip they could put to use later. That's just conjecture on my part.

7. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    Maybe. I do hope they're okay. That liver condition Caitlin's parents said she had sounds pretty serious. I really am wondering what prompted Josh to say, 'Let's take a trip to Afghanistan.' I think I'd rather swim with a really hungry shark than go to that hellhole.

8. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    I googled his full name. One article I stumbled on said they had been travelling in Central Asia and had planned to look for work with an aid organisation in Afghanistan. Sounds noble, but with a wife with a serious medical condition and a baby on the way, it's unfathomably stupid imo.

EDIT: Here's the link to which I referred. No idea if it's a reliable story.

9. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    This is very, very strange. I hope they're ok. Though the cynic in me remembers what a drama queen Con was and wonders.

10. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    I doubt this is for attention.

11. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I get myself kidnapped in warzones for attention all the time.

12. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    I'm not saying she got kidnapped for attention. It likely is very real, but seriously does no one remember how she could get? I truly hope they are fine and come back home soon.

13. ma_petite

ma_petite Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2006
    These two were before my time but wow...this is insane.

(mobile sock of s65horsey)

14. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I met her at C3 (you can see her in this vid in the red costume and face paint on her cheeks)- her and Leto II were my same-hotel test audience for my AOTC re-edit screening (which sadly could not proceed due to unforeseeable technical issues, as I couldn't have previewed the disc prior to the screening since it literally finished burning minutes before my cab to the airport for my flight to Indy arrived).

She was also with us at the one lunch gathering we had- I still remember her praying before eating and how that was the first time I had ever seen someone do that in public beyond a special holiday gathering/event/etc.

Between that and how concerned she seemed to be with parental permission, makes it an even more surreal situation for her to be where she was. I mean, I also remember the things Dajuan speaks of, but still. Hope they get back safe so they can look forward to a long life of people telling them how stupid they were to go there in the first place, as well as more Celebrations.

Handmaiden Yané and DarthBreezy like this.
  15. Sauntaero

Sauntaero Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 9, 2003
    When I was travelling in the Middle East, I quickly learned that the State Department's travel ratings are ridiculous. According to them, you'd think we shouldn't be travelling in the US, much less undeveloped foreign countries! For frequent travellers, it gets easy to pretty much ignore them. I completely understand how they might have felt reasonably secure travelling near or in Afghanistan. That said, I really hope they're okay and just having too much fun to call home.

16. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I dunno... last time anybody heard from them, they said they were in a dangerous area.

A White American baby brings in top dollar on the black market, I'm sure.

17. Sauntaero

Sauntaero Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 9, 2003
    I know, I didn't want that to sound trite.... I do hope they're okay.

18. George Roper

George Roper Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    lol

19. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Seriously....wth.

20. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    Holy carp....The Toronto Star has years worth of archived articles on Boyle! And to think we teased Ossie about being a terrorist and here was this guy on here all along? Do you think he and Connemara converted and went native? Sorry, but that's my suspicion after reading some of those articles.

siha likes this.
  21. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    This is just... yeah. I hope they're okay. But seriously this year had just been so wtf so far.

You received this Ninja message from Tapatalk

22. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I don't see how that's at all appropriate to bring up, especially if you're admitting you 'don't think she got kidnapped for attention.'

23. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    Converted guys, I'm tellin' ya.

TahiriVeilaSolo69 likes this.
  24. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    I have met both people and spent much time with them in and out of both Toronto and Niagara Fanforces and I do recognize both the names and the picture of them.

I am a little shaken up this morning.

25. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    Wow. That's all I've got.