main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC JediWarrior And Connemara Missing In Afghanistan (Update: What a ****show.)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Fire_Ice_Death, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

If she hasn't got PTSD I'd be surprised, and PTSD is all kinds of permanent damage.

Darth_Invidious and Juliet316 like this.
  2. Jacques who

Jacques who Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 18, 2017
    Extensive therapy and reintegration support is always ALWAYS offered and encouraged in situations such as this but can be turned down. And people do turn it down. It's US & Canadian policy.

I used to work in a tangential field that dealt with these issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    buuuut why isn't she speaking to the media?!?!

Ender Sai likes this.
  4. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    That's the neckbeard's job

FatBurt and mrsvos like this.
  5. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Advice from her guidance counsellor, Bob Fireicedeath, not to speak to anyone but him, her true soul mate?

(That's allowable right JTS?)

Lord Vivec likes this.
  6. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    you're treading on thin ice, but SuperWatto will allow it this time

I don't know Caitlan, but having said nothing to the media since her return, she also has said nothing that makes her look like an idiot or a psychopath or some kind of self-aggrandizing shoveler of bull****, which seems like an advantage in the long run.

7. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    It at least rules her out for President of the USA.

8. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    It's like she's the Canadian in the relationship

9. Sake

Sake Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 13, 2017
    Josh's relatives are pleading for ethics from media.. good luck with that. But yeah, nothing worse than media lapping up a traumatized babbler giving them headlines.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...n-hostage-family-joshua-boyle-caitlan-coleman

I hope his family is getting support as well, they are probably exhausted and overwhelmed.

Josh did say in one interview he was shocked at how broken they all were which hopefully means he will be saying yes to assistance.

Sarge likes this.
  10. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Diggy likes this.
  11. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Wait...it was the first child that was murdered? I thought it was number 3 or 4.

That makes the decision have additional children even more bizarre. Would you not assume that any kids would be murdered after your experience with the first?

12. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Where did you see that?

13. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    In the article you posted :D

14. Sake

Sake Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 13, 2017
    I don't think anyone knows. Articles have never been clear and claims vary.

15. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Ok, missed it the first time I read the article.

16. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Pretty telling that Josh's family is begging the media not to communicate with Josh because he's not in a stable frame of mind. That suggests that some of what he's already said may be confabulation. I don't doubt the trauma though, and I hope the family can heal, either together or separated by well-enforced restraining orders.

yankee8255 likes this.
  17. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    What is the media‘s„ethical“ obligation if he contacts them, or even gives a news crew a tour of the house?

18. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    1. It's news. There's an international audience for the story.
    2. I do think that once journalists have been warned that Joshua may be so mentally traumatized by his captivity that he is unable to make accurate statements about it, then they have an ethical obligation to consider whether they should be printing his statements, at least without reference to the caveat.
    3. Journalists absolutely have an ethical obligation to consider and protect the privacy of the children. If the father is unstable but granting access to the children, and other family members object to that, as a reporter I would not report on the children. I would not record images of them.

also I have Googled the NPR ethics handbook, which includes, among other things:

19. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Unfortunately, NPR‘s standards are probably the top end of the spectrum, and most organizations have considerably lower standards.

20. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    you put "ethics" in quotes for a reason. Think about how many news outlets now have overt strategies for using their stories and headlines to try to bait Donald Trump into a response.

If you graduated from journalism school, you've had at least one course in journalistic ethics. After that it gets sketchy.

21. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    If you'll excuse my bleak cynicism, picture this: you and your mate are held in captivity for five years by animals fanatics and your mate was already not of a sound state of mind. Now try to imagine the dark, foul **** that girl was probably put through by both her captives and maybe even her husband. Crap that probably resulted in unwanted pregnancies.

TBH, I hope the extent of the trauma is only PTSD and nothing more serious than that, both mentally and physically.

Juliet316, Diggy and Scapro Tyler like this.
  22. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I guess the question people have is their living conditions. Were they in the same cell? Room? Kept separate and allowed to see each other? How many times do your captors allow you to say, "Oops, she's pregnant again" before you keep them separate? Perhaps they don't mind the pregnancies perhaps babies become better bargaining chips?

23. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    FFS....Sake

Ender Sai likes this.
  24. Sake

Sake Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 13, 2017
    Actually I am the drink.

25. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Maybe she's just waiting for Josh to stop talking so she can have her turn?