main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC JediWarrior And Connemara Missing In Afghanistan (Update: What a ****show.)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Fire_Ice_Death, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Sake

Sake Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 13, 2017
    I did flinch when one of the very first things he told the media, in the airport I believe, was that his wife was raped. Did they have a little conversation on the plane where she gave him permission to announce this to the media when they were finally in Canada? I pretty much think not.

But honestly he seems to have had some issues and ego excess before all this and now he's presumably really suffering and shell shocked. So I cut him some slack (not that my opinion has any meaning) and I wish the media would also step back slowly and say hey, let's revisit this in six months instead of lapping up trauma while its freshest.

2. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    That was announced years ago in one of the proof of life views. Not new news.

3. Sake

Sake Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 13, 2017
    It wasn't so much announced as implied, but yeah I see your point.

4. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Still should be her decision whether to discuss it or not.

Interesting waste description given by the AP journalist who was on the plane (and whose behavior is certainly a subject for discussion in journalism ethics). He snuck into business class, asked her a question or two before State Department officials ushered him back to coach.

He tried his luck later with Josh, State officials immediately cut him off again, but Josh jumped up and told the reporter he wanted to talk.

Juliet316 likes this.
  5. Sake

Sake Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 13, 2017
    The Guardian article where the parents say Josh is traumatized and media please back off has been taken down "pending update".

This is kind of hinky.. maybe someone here knows who this is?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41656159

"Edwards says he received mostly disinterest when he tried to get the Star Wars and Firefly fan communities - Boyle was an aficionado of both - to help raise awareness of their case. "

What exactly was fandom supposed to do? Write letters? Have fundraisers for.. well there was no ransom gofundme. Plaster their faces on t-shirts with AFGHANISTAN - IT'S A TRAP! in SW font stamped across them?

6. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Apparently we personally failed them. Yes, us. Not the guy who took his pregnant wife to Afghanistan in the first place.

Of course I wish all the best for their recovery, regardless of any of the circumstances. I am partly sad to hear Caitlin had to be hospitalized.... But at the same time, to be honest they probably all should have been to some degree. Hopefully she can get whatever help she needs, and for her children as well. Hopefully Josh realizes how important it is and concedes to this, too.

I just hope some real experts can help them. It's so beyond most people's comprehension, including mine, how to recover from something like this. But I hope they can at least get the help they need, especially for the sake of the children.

7. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Or, in one person's case, tell her how he felt so she would have been with FIDo him instead.

I get the Edwards guy was a mate of JW, but there's a limit to what nerds can achieve unless it's demanding having obscure scenes from the film fleshed out until the joy is sucked out of Star Wars.

8. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    That hit a bit too close to home.

9. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    This is obviously all @jointheschwarz‘s fault. If only we had a top-notch head mod like in the good old black-and-yellow days.

And cutting edge gifs, obviously.

jp-30 likes this.
  10. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Isn't it illegal for Americans to pay ransoms to terrorist groups? I think for Europeans it's allowed, but not for us.

11. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Had Edwards posted his rallying cry here rather than (one assumes) the Outer Rim Sieges, I'm sure we'd have held a bake sale or charity auction or all changed our icons to Josh or Conne's old one or whathaveyou and this whole horrid episode would have been sorted years ago.

12. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005

Obama changed the policy a couple of years ago that allowed families of those abducted by terrorists to negotiate a ransom payment (following the controversy surrounding the death of James Foley). Of course with Trump as President, who knows if families will still be allowed to do so. It is still illegal for the US Government to pay out ransom demands.

13. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    @ Alex Edwards did you really reach out here?

Edit: Not even a member! The charlatan.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  14. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
  15. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    They were both home schooled

harpua and Diggy like this.
  16. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Yeah, that's what stood out to me too

17. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    probably not the high profile proponents the home schooling community was looking for.

18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Yes, but since it's the homeschooling community, they'll miss the parts about breathtaking naiveity and under-education, and have a bit "nawww" moment for the importance the couple placed on home-schooling.

Thus, proving the point about homeschooling we all know.

19. Sake

Sake Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 13, 2017
  20. Sake

Sake Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 13, 2017
    yeah I read this article:

http://deathrattlesports.com/freed-...good-thing-about-her-familys-captivity/125121

All about doing math and having field trips with rubbish and all I could think was how the homeschoolers I've know will be all over this, they will be homeshool darilings. Of course they were doing what they needed to do in horrible circumstances, entertaining and educating their kids as well as giving themselves something to focus on. But it will get presented as something amazing, just like homeschoolers always go on about how their kids learn math in the supermarket as if this is something you can't do if your kids go to school lol

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  21. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    "Growing up I loved the personalized curriculum that homeschooling offered, and hope now to give the same to my children,” Coleman said. “Field trips to local historical sites and nature parks, projects and experiments and crafts abound in my memory and Joshua’s.”

How about a field trip to North Korea, or somewhere in the jungles of the Philippines?

22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Also, unrelated topic, but great film. Hugely underrated. Bigly, even.

Scapro Tyler likes this.
  23. Sake

Sake Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 13, 2017
    Josh's latest letter to the media:

http://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/joshua-boyle-releases-new-statement-to-ctv-ottawa-1.3647048

While it is gratifying to hear the children are doing well it seems there will never be any "we made a mistake" from this guy, just more egotistical hero stuff.

Different paradigms aka I AM SPECIAL. What the heck did they think they were doing there anyway? As far as I know they had no medical training, no aid supplies, were not connected to any aid organizations..

Well let's hope when the kids are well they don't go off and be special with them somewhere else dangerous.

VadersLaMent likes this.
  24. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
  25. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Sorry, I'm somewhat religious leaders. I also have several friends who are members of the clergy and have done work among the poorest of the poor. There's a line you don't cross when you're wife is 7 months pregnant. Anyone with functioning brain cells understands that.

And he may be trying to sell it as his desire to do charity work now, but go back to the interviews with people who met them during their trip before they were captured -- the talk is about adventure, not missionary work.