main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC JediWarrior And Connemara Missing In Afghanistan (Update: What a ****show.)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Fire_Ice_Death, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    Not sure if this belongs here, but quite possibly the worst news I've gotten tonight. I was never really fond of either of them, but I don't think they deserved this.

Link

I hope they're okay. As I said: not my favorite people in the world, but everyone deserves a chance to live their life as they choose and not have to worry about it being ended because some schmucks in Afghanistan see you're white and think you're the 'enemy'.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2019
  2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
  3. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    My reaction upon being linked to that story.

4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    This is bizarre.

5. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    wow

6. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Obvious question since I didn't know them except by name: how do we know it's them/how positive are you it's them?

7. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    The article says they met on a Star Wars messageboard. That sort of narrows it down. And there are people here who do know their real names.

8. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    Because the person that linked me to this story was their friend and I met Josh back in 2005 when I went to Canada for my vacation.

9. Amidala_wannabe

Amidala_wannabe Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    This is one of the weirdest things I've ever come across. Miana Kenobi, Connemara and JediWarrior were their handles here, I knew them both in real life, though haven't spoken to either in years.

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah I'm trying to see if I have anything -- I have Connemara's phone number (or at least whichever one she was using in 2005, since she was at C3) but I just think I have it in there by first name, so I'm unable to confirm the last name or anything. Similarly, I have her old MSN but nothing recent since I haven't really talked to her in years.

edit: Ah, okay, so I guess the above confirms it then.

11. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Sorry; we unfortunately have to check the validity of this kind of stuff. This is absolutely heartbreaking. :(

12. Amidala_wannabe

Amidala_wannabe Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    I completely understand.

13. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Holy ****, holy ****.

14. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
  15. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    That is her.

Edit: sorry, blurry pic and I'm sleepy.

16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Maybe? Really hard to say, I haven't seen her in 8 years. But if you look at the big JCC group photo from C3, she's on the viewer's far right in red. I'm not gonna post the image here because it has a ton of JCers on it and I don't want to post their images without consent etc etc.

edit: I guess I actually haven't said it yet, but I really hope they're ok. I don't know them that well actually, but regardless this is not something that people should have to go through.

17. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  18. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    what in the hell

19. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Don't like this. Hope it turns out for the best.

20. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    I certainly everything turns out OK. But wtf were thinking travelling in Afghanistan, especially with her being pregnant?!

21. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Hell, Kyrgyzstan has been pretty volatile lately.

22. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Yeah, that question ran through my mind, as well... that's some pretty hard core stupidity and recklessness. .

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  23. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    You shouldn't even need to check the state department's traveling warnings list to know not to go there. When I saw the subject line (and not knowing anything about them other than a vague recognition of their user names) I assumed they were in the military.

Like I said, I pray that this has a happy end and the three of them come home safe and sound. But you really have to question their judgement.

24. George Roper

George Roper Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Canadians may remember Boyle as the former husband of Zaynab Khadr, the once outspoken sister of Omar Khadr who spent a decade in Guantanamo Bay before his transfer to Canadian custody this fall.

Wow.

Summer Dreamer and mrsvos like this.
  25. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    I looked her up on wikipedia and thought there must be a second Canadian woman with that name, but the article linked in the OP makes it pretty clear that that's her.

I googled her name to see other articles on this, interesting that the NY Daily News and most of the others don't give his full name, at the request of her family, to "protect his privacy".

Also, found this in a New York times article: