main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC JediWarrior And Connemara Missing In Afghanistan (Update: What a ****show.)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Fire_Ice_Death, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    But, her clock was ticking man, come on!

OK so now I have Alice in Chains stuck in my head.

This is not a bad thing.

The2ndQuest , vin and jp-30 like this.
  2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    It's certainly possible that the subsequent pregnancies were coerced or forced in some manner. It's what I thought was the most likely scenario until they were rescued and the Pilgrim started mouthing off. I'm just going by Boyle's own comments which suggested the main considerations in their/his minds was that a woman in her mid-thirties and older is less biologically able to have a successful pregnancy (as Ender referenced). If that claim is true and he wasn't just being delusional, I feel comfortable judging them for subjecting innocent lives to the consequences of not just one but a cascade of their bad, vain, ridiculously selfish decisions.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  3. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I guess I just don't see why you'd feel the need to make negative character statements about people who have been a hostage for five years.

4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I don't think well of anyone who would willingly subject their own children to the hell they were in.

5. Boba Nekhbet

Boba Nekhbet Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    Have you missed the last five or so pages of this thread? Having been a hostage doesn't absolve JW of his abhorrent behavior.

6. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    certainly it might factor into sentencing if he is convicted of any crimes

7. Boba Nekhbet

Nov 30, 2014
    I'm not sure Canada credits time served with the Taliban, but who knows how the justice system works up there.

8. Sake

Sake Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 13, 2017
    Boyle has also said that having the children was an act of rebellion after the guards dosed a jar of honey with estrogen to abort the second baby. The second boy had never seen the sun and yet he goes ahead and brings a third one into this hell for his own feelings of control? Not to mention the ridiculous danger of having a baby while malnourished and terrorized with zero medical care. It does read like they are all props for his elaborate hero fantasies.

9. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    I'm thinking more of the psychological evaluation that the court will likely require, the defense attorney would want. You get an expert at sentencing to testify about the kind of trauma he endured as a hostage and the likely effects on his mental health.

10. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    if we start limiting the people we can make negative character statements about it basically goes against everything the jcc stands for.

solojones, yankee8255, jp-30 and 18 others like this.
  11. Sake

Sake Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 13, 2017
    I'm wondering if he's going to claim total innocence. It seems logical to assume he will claim extreme mental duress for a softer or treatment based sentence but if he claimed he had done nothing wrong it wouldn't surprise me.

12. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    I was just thinking about post conviction. He'd definitely want to plead not guilty to all charges if he plans on being acquitted, or at least that's how it works in the U.S. In Canada it may just be some kind of trial by combat.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  13. Sake

Sake Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 13, 2017
    Ah I mean pleading not guilty because the charges were false, he did nothing VS pleading not guilty by reason of mental health conditions.

14. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    I knew you'd say something like this :p
    I stop at Taliban hostages.

15. Boba Nekhbet

Nov 30, 2014
    Ok so just to clarify, if Jeffrey Dahmer had been held hostage by the Taliban at one point, you would refrain from any remarks impugning his character

16. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    They made a stupid decision because they were stupid, Watto. If you go to places where there's hostage taking I'm sorry but you're at fault for being taken.

Avoid those areas. You're not MSF, you're just stupid MFs at this point.

I've got precious little sympathy for their having been caught. Empathy for their suffering? Yes. Sympathy for not avoiding a 100%, wholly avoidable situation? I'm sorry but I seem to be out of stock.

17. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Yes well done all for denouncing the decision these two people took 5 years ago.
    It still doesn't give you any reason to judge decisions they took in captivity. I'd hazard a guess that any trauma from that easily obscures previous character flaws.

18. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    You forget, though, that he has said that those who don't understand their decision to go to Afghanistan aren't pious, don't understand God, etc. He sees nothing wrong with it. He actually seems pretty pig headed and proud.

19. Sake

Sake Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 13, 2017
    If they'd come back and he's said "we were naive and stupid, I regret this deeply" people would have been kind. But he's said he is BETTER than everyone else because he went to a taliban controlled dangerous place with his pregnant wife.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  20. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Praise the tom, blessed be his name.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  21. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Yeah, I think Jabba-wocky's abhorrent behavior knows no bounds.

22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Well, I mean, he does. The coding has limits, which are boundaries.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  23. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    If they're prepared to get mental help/treatment, people should work with them. Even if it hadn't been the stupidest, most fool-hardy decision in the world to get themselves captured in the first place, people who have been held by the Taliban for several years probably need mental treatment prior to just being allowed to raise their kids as they see fit. And the kids need treatment too. If Boyle refuses mental treatment or tries to prevent his kids from getting it, he needs to be gone and not have any authority over those kids. Again, the stupid self-inflicted nature of these horrible events intensifies this, but it isn't even the main reason it's true. Anybody held by the Taliban, much less children, needs some serious mental evaluation.

24. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    But they weren’t with the Taliban, they were with the Haqqani Network, who are evil religious hypocrites who will all go to hell. Had it been the Taliban, it would have been like 5 years in a luxury spa. Seriously Watto, you need to keep up on their Twitter feed.

25. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    An article in today's paper says that Trudeau is catching a lot of flak for meeting with Boyle. Here's your chance to bring down a government, JW. :rolleyes: