main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC JediWarrior And Connemara Missing In Afghanistan (Update: What a ****show.)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Fire_Ice_Death, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I've not read this thread or even followed the situation extensively, so I'm not going to make any accusations. I do want to make a general statement on the last few posts, though. I think that genuine remorse is a good thing, and no one need rub it in. But I think that part of that remorse is also being honest about what one actually did. Some people in this thread probably did just restrict themselves to gallows humor and other "unusual" coping mechanisms. That's one thing. But it's also the case, just from glancing through the thread, that some people said things that were genuinely mean that don't seem like they were attempts at coping at all. They were just people taking an opportunity to make a joke at someone else's expense.

I don't know what anyone did and I don't care to find out. But I hope that everyone can come to terms with whatever it was that they in particular were a part of.

2. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I don't think I said anything too crazy. I did comment that it was incredibly stupid to take a trip through unfriendly territory while pregnant. I'd say that directly to her, though. In fact, Conne, if you made it out alive and are now reading this thread, welcome back, and wtf were you thinking?

yankee8255 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I for one never feel bad about things I say, so why start now?

4. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    I went back and now realize I didn't say anything bad. At worst I derailed the thread for a minute and had a laugh at beezel's expense.

So take that Kyle!

5. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    omg kyle is so gonna regret this if vin ever goes missing. guess he should have thought of that, himself.. :(

Healer_Leona likes this.
  6. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
    Last week DarthGuy yelled at me for making rapey jokes. I can't seem to win. Maybe I should take a break until April.

7. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    You're a ****ing abomination, and stuff.

8. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Except that bit about the Taliban cutting Cait's unborn baby out of her stomach and selling it on the black market, or whatever.

9. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    lol... yeah, but I owned up to that being crazy several pages ago.

10. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I'm behind. I haven't yelled at you this week. :(

11. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Should he ever go missing in a war zone then I'll hope and pray for his safe return just as I have with Conn. I will admit to Conn's disappearance taking a bigger toll upon me emotionally than Vin's theoretical disappearance, but that is only as I've known Conn for at least a dozen years and got to know her VERY well over that time. As I stated earlier in this thread, I looked upon her much like a younger sister, so hopefully this gives you some idea as to why I take such great offense at comments I'd usually brush aside were the circumstances different.

12. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    I really wish there were more rapey jokes on these boards.

13. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Make some.

14. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    How could I EVER top your sig?

harpua likes this.
  15. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    I hope JW is alive as well.

MrZAP likes this.
  16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I only vaguely remember the two of them from several years ago but I wouldn't wish being trapped by the Taliban on anyone (OK, not on too many people), and yeah...this.

17. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Vin, if you ever go missing, can I have your car?

18. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
    Which one? The CLK or the Rover?

19. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    If I ever go missing, I give my SW collection to my nephew, my furniture to the Salvation Army, my books go to the local library, and my post count I donate to the highest bidder on the JCC in a thread created by whomever assumes the responsibility of hosting a legit contest to get them.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  20. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    Still better than the alternative though, right?

21. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    Oh god, when I saw this thread I feared the worst. Not that a lack of news is much better, but at least it's not bad news. :( I just hope Conn's okay.

22. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    You and me both. It's a pretty crappy spot to be in when your friend's status goes from "presumed dead" to "possibly alive, but presumed to be in Taliban captivity"

23. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005

Worth pointing out that that was before Colorado legalized marijuana. [face_whistling]

As for the comments made at the time, most of them (as far as I recall) expressed our incredulity that someone who was pregnant and medical problems would decide backpacking through Afghanistan was a good idea, and was focused more on JediWarrior for taking her there.

Or at least that's my rationalization for my guilty conscience this morning.

24. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    On that note, it is a bit strange how Rohde mentions offhand a fellow prisoner giving birth in captivity and doesn't offer any further opinion on what might have happened to the baby. I'm surprised the reporter didn't ask a follow-up question.

25. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    The enormous stupidity of his decision and exploit her naivety leaves me little room for giving a **** about his well being.

Inappropriate

Darth_Invidious and yankee8255 like this.