main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC JediWarrior And Connemara Missing In Afghanistan (Update: What a ****show.)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Fire_Ice_Death, Feb 21, 2013.

1. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    My idiot kid brother used to post in Games and NZFF, ummm. Free Conne and JW.

yankee8255 and Anakin_Padme4ever like this.
  2. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    They're Clippers fans?

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I think it's more that he's secretly an unemployed bisexual than the fact that he digs Chris Paul...

4. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Ouch.... going for the throat there, Jewvid. :p

5. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002

to be fair, so is, like, a solid 10% of the population

6. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Secretly?

7. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    secretly unemployed or secretly bisexual?

8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I'm secretly Jewish. And a stereotype.

9. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    the secret's out, O, Learned Elder

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  10. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    HOWD IT GET BURNED HOWD IT GET BURNED HOWD IT GET BUUUUUUUURRRRRENNNNNNDDDDDD

11. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    I'm amazed the NSA hasn't brought harpua in for water-boarding yet to find out all she knows about the Taliban's baby-harvesting technology.

12. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    I just watched the ABC evening news. The news story is titled 'missing kidnapped mother' not 'kidnapped family' or 'couple'. It's just mind boggling when you know his back ground story...I'm sure the government is paying attention because he went native (yes my call) and the media is interested because her parents are like, 'where my poor beguiled daughter and her child and the government is like 'don't be broadcasting our secrets, we're on this guy'

13. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    that's been the narrative from day one in everything up until the recent article, which i was the first i've seen to talk about them as a family. but this story has been so buried and information so scarce that i tend to chalk the sketchy reporting up to a lack of details and a u.s. focus to the few stories that have come out. i'm not saying the "going native" thing isn't plausible, i just think we know way too little to make that call.

14. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    This is still too bizarre and scary for me to wrap my mind around. It sounds like the "proof of life" videos sent to the families are a common first step toward negotiations... hopefully that's the case, and it happens sooner rather than later.

TahiriVeilaSolo69 likes this.
  15. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    wtf is "going native"

16. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    she is saying she thinks jediwarrior joined the taliban.

17. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    That's a weird phrase. The natives of Afghanistan aren't all Taliban.

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  18. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    BUT THEY ARE ALL TERROISTS WHO HATE OUR FREEDOM

Ted Cruz 2016

19. wall of sick

wall of sick Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 9, 2014
    my guess is conne is sweating inside a burqa somewhere just outside of candyhar. but it is difficult to say for sure.

20. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    This has been a strange day. I haven't thought about this in a long time, then I go on facebook and see a post about it, and it all comes back.

21. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    It was ten years ago this month (probably less than a week ago) that I met Catilan at Celebration III. Last week, I was showing photos of my time there to my roommates who had never been to one before when a candid shot of her that I had taken popped up amidst my other C3 photos. I then had to take the time to explain to my new friends about what had happened to her and how f'd up a situation it is. Hardly a day goes by that I don't think about them. It is one thing to see the face of a stranger on tv and be told they are being held captive by the Taliban, but it is another thing entirely to see that one of your friends is in that situation - and that your government seems to still be dragging its heels over trying to get her and her family home.

22. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    How is the government "dragging its heels"? I'm genuinely curious. A rescue attempt would be difficult to plan (i.e., finding out exactly where they are) and carry out (hostages often die in these things), plus there's the potential child to worry about. A ransom or exchange would be delicate to negotiate, and last I heard the kidnappers hadn't made any demands.

23. Boba Nekhbet

Boba Nekhbet Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    I'm pretty sure the family saw the first proof of life videos over 18 months ago.
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ling-for-help/article18986865/?service=mobile
    This article was posted in June 2014 (after Bergdahl's release) and says the families recieved the videos "nearly one year ago", so mid-2013. And to be honest, none of the news articles being published now have really made it clear whether they're referencing this same video or whether the family has received a new one. Either way, it feels a little late to be hoping for these videos to result in a fruitful and speedy negotiation.

24. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    From the article linked earlier:

25. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Yeah, I remember that. A link to the videos was posted in this thread. I'm not going to pretend to have any idea how Taliban hostage negotiations are carried out. I was simply saying I hope for the best (but that's not really how I want to word it... I actually don't quite know how to word it).