main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC JediWarrior And Connemara Missing In Afghanistan (Update: What a ****show.)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Fire_Ice_Death, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Asplundhe

Asplundhe Jedi Master star 2

Aug 29, 2016
    til the taliban allows conjugal visits

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  2. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    jesus christ stop having kids

EDIT: actually im just going to direct this at everyone who posts on this board. no good can come of it

3. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I don't imagine they have ample access to contraception.

Lord Vivec and Rogue_Ten like this.
  4. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    keep it in their pants then?

but i guess people get horny when captivated in afghanistan too. even if they're risking letting another child grow up under those conditions.

Rogue_Ten and CT-867-5309 like this.
  5. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Why are we assuming Connemara hasn't been sexually assaulted in captivity by her captors and that the second child is JediWarrrior's?

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    good lord, people

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

7. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    Blunt I know, but it was directed at the people having a laugh at Connemara for having a second child.

8. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Just lock this up again.

Bacon164, FatBurt, tom and 1 other person like this.
  9. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I don't think that is a direction we should be taking this thread in.

10. Zapdos

Jan 7, 2013
    i don't think that was directed at you, pg. i assumed it was meant at me and the rest.

and yeah, it's not unlikely that she was sexually assaulted. and it's horrible if that's the case. didn't mean to imply that she could have prevented that from happening.

11. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006

Like I said, I was getting irritated at the people who were acting like Connemara deserved to be laughed at for having a second child, like she's having some fun time or whatever. However, I acknowledge that I worded my response extremely poorly.

Sarge, Juliet316 , solojones and 3 others like this.
  12. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I don't know, man... I can see how, in those conditions, clinging to any sense of normalcy would help to cope with life... and ****ing your spouse is pretty normal.

jp-30 likes this.
  13. Zapdos

Jan 7, 2013
    yeah, i get that. still can't decide on whether or not it's kind of selfish risking it, for the potential child's sake, if that's what happened here.

but i don't think i'll discuss it any further. i'm okay with anyone expressing disagreement, but for the sake of keeping it respectful i'm gonna stop speculating at this point.

Sarge likes this.
  14. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    The arguments in this thread are pretty much the nadir of the JCC.

15. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    That's kind of to be expected, though... this is a really, really bizarre circumstance, and I can understand how people wouldn't know wtf to think or say.

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  16. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    I assume this was directed at my post, Wocky. I never said that they deserved this. I was referring to a post a few above mine that labeled her as the victim. This goes back to a discussion we had the last time there was news, where Connemara was being given a pass for being responsible for herself, as that's incredibly chauvinistic. That doesn't mean that I don't hope and pray that they and their children return home safely as soon as possible.

*cough*baby harvesting *cough*

Ender Sai likes this.
  17. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    This situation is so effed up that it would be nearly impossible for any two people to make the "right" choice or the "good" choice. They're in a hell where nearly every choice seems to be worse or more worse. I think it's okay to speculate, that's human nature, but we really have to be careful we don't accidentally or purposefully judge them. Their situation calls for that kind of absolute restraint. Also, we don't have nearly all the facts.

18. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002

holy ****

point conceded (or "given", i guess). ill just ban myself now...

rumsmuggler likes this.
  19. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I don't think any of us know what they are going through or the circumstances they are in or what their current mindset is. Who knows why they did what they did. Who cares, even.

20. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002

I protest this statement! You see, "nimrod" means hunter or is of course the name of the hunter in the Bible and because of Bugs Bunny we thought this meant "moron" or "dummy". Bugs was in fact referring to the caveman as the hunter that he was as said hunter was hunting Bugs.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  21. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
  22. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    We are all held captive by the JC. So it's a fair equivalence.

mrsvos likes this.
  23. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    It's crass no matter how you parse it, no need to stoop to their level.

Four years now. We could get an AWOL solider out, we gave Iran money, and yet nobody can be bothered to help our friend and her family.

Bacon164 likes this.
  24. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    What are they going to do, Kyle?

Let me be blunt, because I have no emotional skin in this game - what are they worth to the respective governments?

Forget the human cost of her being someone you were fond of/friends with - these are not high value individuals. They are not PEPs. They are not in possession of any NatSec material. They're basically idiot tourists, who the Taliban have set a virtual price on. And nobody is willing to pay that price, mostly because the demands are probably unreasonable.

They're actually more value as hostages right now.

25. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    It was not so much crass as pointing out the crassness of others. Really, though, I have no problems with the exchange. His remark, like the responses to it, were marked by people trying to be empathetic and sensitive to the situation. That's more than we can say for huge swaths of this thread.

Nor is the bitterness in the second half of your post really appropriate. It is very sad that they have not been freed. But it's hardly fair to pretend like it's some sort of special or deliberate abandonment, or that the others in captivity (Bergdahl, Rezian, etc) somehow didn't deserve liberation, or that the circumstances of their release has as much to do with the circumstances of their detainment as with people not "bothering" to help.