main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC JediWarrior And Connemara Missing In Afghanistan (Update: What a ****show.)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Fire_Ice_Death, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Well if you insist.

Your theory is a bit thin.

I have put forward a view that Boyle naïvely assumed his status vis-a-vis his first marriage would have made him "friendly" in the eyes of the Taliban, a tragic miscalculation that lead him to understate the danger. But to suggest he converted and it went to hell, and the US views him as a threat?

Hell of a leap to make. Suggests a lot of time in TV/movie land, not a lot of time in real world land.

2. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    Ok, I can agree with the part where he thought he'd be on good terms via his marriage, but I think there was a bit of idealism there, maybe as much as I have going on.

3. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
  4. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Okay. What are you basing that on?

5. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Your initial view is a hell of a leap also.

6. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Diggy, Mrsvos accepted that's a flimsy premise.

EDIT: how, Diggy?

Let's explore what we know - there are blogs cited in this thread that state people who saw them knew they planned to go to the unsafe North, they were aware it was unsafe but undeterred.

So either they didn't understand unsafe and were spectacularly stupid, or they did not consider themselves at risk.

It's not the first time I've seen people express an opinion that, based on their general tolerance for or respect towards Islam, they wouldn't be seen as an enemy of Islam and therefore they would be fine to travel through northern Pakistan or Patani province or, yes, Afghanistan. They were either Christian missionary types, who are probably dead; or ridiculously politically correct types that would decry misogyny but refuse to discuss misogyny in Islam.

Let's just bear in mind that JediWarrior's first wife, Zaynab Khadr (her brother was at Gitmo), bragged that Usama bin Laden and Ayman al-Zawahiri attended her wedding to Yacoub al-Bahr.

So you see why there's not much of a stretch here? You know how he met Khadr right?

7. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    How did he meet Khadr?

8. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    I don't think Conne "turned" to religion, she was pretty staunchly Catholic when she was posting here.

9. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

He wrote to her and offered support in their fight to have her brother released.

EDIT: ok jp-30 however it was in response to a Diggy post which you missed. Saying her parents were praying for release.

10. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    They're probably staunchly Catholic too.

And yeah, I tend to gloss over Digger's posts, y'know?

Ender Sai likes this.
  11. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Are they really missing in Afghanistan now?

12. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Yes. Since 2012.

13. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Go back to sleep gersh.

14. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I love you too, **** chops [face_love]

15. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    In my interactions with her (both online and in person), she indicated that she was a fairly observant Catholic. I noticed that she was rarely online on Sundays, but there could have been other reasons for that.

With regard to her and JW having knowingly ventured into areas known to be unsafe: when I met Caitlan at Celebration 3 (she is the one who convinced me to go in the first place), she was all smiles, all the time. She was very friendly to everyone she met, perhaps too much, even to a few people who appeared to be playing her for a sucker. She had a friend who was a member here at one time (SaintOfAllKillers, I believe) who was tagging along with her most of the time. She had told me that he ran low on gas and needed cash to get home. I had no way of knowing his situation, but I gave him $5 just to make him stop. In spite of all that, she seemed to me to genuinely care about anyone and everyone she met while giving them the benefit of the doubt. I've always had a hard time trusting people and so this trait of Caitlan's in always assuming the best of people stuck out in my mind. I suspect that it is something that both her and JW have in common and is very likely what lead them into this mess in the first place.

16. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    There's nothing inherently wrong with giving people the benefit of the doubt...but there's a difference between parting with $5 and risking life and limb to journey to a warzone filled with anti-Western zealots...

Juliet316 likes this.
  17. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Totally agree. We may never know what their rationale for even thinking about going there was, but I suspect that the tendency to look for the best in people regardless of the situation is still the most likely reason. When you're wearing rose colored glasses, all of the red flags just look like flags.

Juliet316 and Dark Lady Mara like this.
  18. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    What do red flags look like if you aren't wearing rose-coloured glasses?

Juliet316 , yankee8255 and mrsvos like this.
  19. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
  20. SithSense

SithSense Force Ghost star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Oh lordy its this thread again. I'm glad they're at least still alive....and that's about the only positive I can think of right now.
    I had talked briefly to Conne once or twice (what I remember the most was on the old messageboards, she used Nermal as her holiday icon), and she was always sweet to me,
    and I honestly got the impression that she was far too naive and trusting of other people.
    I blame JW for their current situation. It seems to me they met, she fell head over heels in love with him, and when he decided to go on a half-baked mercy mission/vacation/whatever to the Earth's armpit, she being happily and naively in love, went along with it without actually stopping to think about any possible consequences.

Dark Lady Mara likes this.
  21. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Okay but I mean, how can anyone be that naive? Don't they hear about what the Taliban do? Even if someone assumes the best of this bunch of people, you'd still have to realize that they're highly, highly misguided and wouldn't hesitate to act on their distorted view of the world.

22. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Let's pretend you're right.

What does it matter now?

23. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    Wow, this is the first time I saw this. I met up with her at C3 and we used to chat on AIM all the time, though it's been many many years since I talked with her.

This is her, right? Found it in my photos from C3.

[​IMG]

Rew likes this.
  24. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    No its not. And are those two men discussing how to steal that car?

25. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    Hmm I'm pretty sure I had a photo with her from C3, but maybe I lost that one?? The few I had on my computer were scans.