main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC JediWarrior And Connemara Missing In Afghanistan (Update: What a ****show.)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Fire_Ice_Death, Feb 21, 2013.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
  2. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    The aristocrats!

Lowbacca_1977 likes this.
  3. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    I really didn't know either of them, but I do hope they're safe, especially with a wee one just born. For the rest of us, let it be a cautionary tale and underline the fact that, to quote a famous movie line, one does not simply walk into Mordor (or Afghanistan, in this case).

All the best,
    Lauré

Handmaiden Yané likes this.
  4. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Yeesh. While those 2 and I had quite a few rows & went at it frequently years ago, this is just about the most bizzaro thing that I have ever felt the need to comment on regarding them. And, I used to feel the need to give my commentary on quite a few things concerning Connemara. Prayerfully, this gets resolved with minimal trauma for everyone affected.

5. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    hey idiots i know tangentially online, stop doing remarkably dumb things that i then have to hear about on the internet. i mean *******

you know ive been banned (on another board) by the tech support guy who died in the benghazi embassy

6. Captain_Typho

Captain_Typho Jedi Master star 5

Jul 30, 2003
    Very strange. I remember Connemara from C3 pretty well, although never really stayed in contact. Hope she's okay. Speaking of people MIA, if I recall correctly, no one ever heard anymore from Grilled Sarlacc after he went to Iraq or Afghanistan either. Always hard when you care about people and don't know what's happened to them....

7. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I don't think anybody actually cared all that much about Connemara, though.

8. Blithe

Blithe Jedi Master star 4

Jun 24, 2003
    Ouch. That's rough.

In any case, I hope things turn out alright.

9. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    No, no... I'm not saying that I'm glad something may have happened to her. I'm just saying, a lot of people had a complicated... er... relationship with her, and, yeah... that's pretty much it. It's awkward when something terrible happens to somebody you don't like very much.

10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yes, G-S came back and became Head Admin after returning (unless he went back again and I missed it). We sent a care package to G-S while he was there.

11. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    I always suspected the Outer Rim Sieges was a front for a terror recruitment cell.

12. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    at least one of you people married the girl so you cant all have hated her

Ender Sai, hudzu and Handmaiden Yané like this.
  13. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I never really interacted with either of them, kind of remember them posting... but this is bizarre to the extreme. Just when you think things can't get any crazier... I hope they're safe and come home soon. Especially with their child.

But yeah, extremely stupid to go there. From reading through this thread, it has to have been some kind of missionary work (or they converted).

14. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    He must really hate you if he banned you after he died. Necro-posting FTW!

15. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    naw he died after banning me. and i havent been banned on that board since...

16. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I interacted a bit on the boards with JW, and his socks, all in good fun, didn't do much but read Connie's thread though. Still this is probably one of the most bizarre things I've seen in a very long time.

And for those of you wondering why people go to Afghanistan. I'll just say that my sister's partner, who's a freelance journalist, almost decided to just drop by Afghanisthan when he was travelling the Russian parts of Central Asia (Russia is his speciality). It almost broke up their relationships, in the end he didn't go and instead they moved in together, but still there are people who think Afghanistan might be a place to go to. I still think it's a stupid idea though.

17. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    what do you mean "you people"?

18. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    he's being edgy and aggressively distant, as is his wont.

siha, Ender Sai, Diggy and 8 others like this.
  19. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    i meant "the blacks" obviously

20. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    While I wouldn't say she and I were close, and I clashed with her both online and in real life (worked on a film project with her when I was fresh out of college) I would have liked to have counted her as a friend. Sadly since she left Toronto I haven't had any contact with her. This was the first i have heard about her in years.

21. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    ****!

I had no idea this was what the two of them had been up to, though of course I remember chatting with both back in the day. I consider JW an e-friend, at the least.

I don't even know how to react to this news, except with more profanities...

22. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I would say (really ill-advised and not at all organized) missionary work made sense... except that evidently JW was previously married to a strict Muslim who was brought up in Afghanistan and Pakistan and whose father was one of the founding members of Al Qaeda. I am still trying to wrap my head around why such a woman would marry JW, and if she even would have married him if he weren't Muslim. Then again, they're also divorced so who the hell knows. And what about Con and her fanatical brand of Catholicism? It could conceivably be traded for a fanatical brand of something else if she thought American Catholics and Christians weren't holy enough, though obviously it's no small thing to switch religions when you're so vehement. It does seem kind of oddly coincidental for JW to backpack into Torah Borah given his former marriage and her family.

Who knows, maybe he just decided he needed to reform people like her family, or maybe Con did. God knows what they were thinking. We aren't going to know and even if we did it probably wouldn't make sense because, let's face it, we're not talking about the most clear-headed of folks. It doesn't seem completely out of the realm of possibility that they might have been drawn in. But I would say the 'missionary' thing made the most sense still. Except for this utterly bizarre former marriage of JW's. Which is just... what?

Either way, it's phenomenally stupid and there are basically only two options:

1) They went native

2) They are dead

Either option relies on a startling amount of idiocy and naïveté on their part. As much as it would be nice to wish them well, I'm not going to partake in idiocy and naïveté of my own in thinking it's realistic that they are or will be okay no matter what their motives were.

Who I am truly sorry for are their families, their child (whether he/she was ever born or not), and any friends they have here who are hurt by this. This is a piteous, gobsmacking situation and is by far the most bizarre thing that has ever happened on these boards in my 12 and a half years of posting here. I'm sorry for anyone caught up in that, but as for JW and Con... I definitely don't wish anything bad on them at all. I just know my wishing doesn't make it so, and I can't believe I have to be the one to just flat out say it, but there is no way this has any kind of happy ending.

23. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Something Awful? I know one guy on that forum died in that attack, but he wasn't one that I knew at all.

24. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    yup. he was a mod in their equivalent of the senate.

his last known words were over IM chat with a person on the forum "****, gunfire!"

25. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Pretty sure he converted back in the day based on this pic.
    [​IMG]