JCC JediWarrior And Connemara Missing In Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Community' started by Fire_Ice_Death, Feb 21, 2013.

1. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
  2. Fire_Ice_Death Chosen One

star 7
    The aristocrats!
    Lowbacca_1977 likes this.
  3. laurethiel1138 Force Ghost

star 4
    I really didn't know either of them, but I do hope they're safe, especially with a wee one just born. For the rest of us, let it be a cautionary tale and underline the fact that, to quote a famous movie line, one does not simply walk into Mordor (or Afghanistan, in this case).

All the best,
    Lauré
    Last edited by laurethiel1138, Feb 22, 2013
    Handmaiden Yané likes this.
  4. A Chorus of Disapproval New Films Riot Deterrent

Manager
    star 7
    Yeesh. While those 2 and I had quite a few rows & went at it frequently years ago, this is just about the most bizzaro thing that I have ever felt the need to comment on regarding them. And, I used to feel the need to give my commentary on quite a few things concerning Connemara. Prayerfully, this gets resolved with minimal trauma for everyone affected.
  5. Rogue_Ten Chosen One

star 7
    hey idiots i know tangentially online, stop doing remarkably dumb things that i then have to hear about on the internet. i mean *******

you know ive been banned (on another board) by the tech support guy who died in the benghazi embassy
    Last edited by Rogue_Ten, Feb 22, 2013
  6. Captain_Typho Force Ghost

star 5
    Very strange. I remember Connemara from C3 pretty well, although never really stayed in contact. Hope she's okay. Speaking of people MIA, if I recall correctly, no one ever heard anymore from Grilled Sarlacc after he went to Iraq or Afghanistan either. Always hard when you care about people and don't know what's happened to them....
  7. harpua Chosen One

star 8
    I don't think anybody actually cared all that much about Connemara, though.
  8. Blithe Force Ghost

star 4
    Ouch. That's rough.

In any case, I hope things turn out alright.
  9. harpua Chosen One

star 8
    No, no... I'm not saying that I'm glad something may have happened to her. I'm just saying, a lot of people had a complicated... er... relationship with her, and, yeah... that's pretty much it. It's awkward when something terrible happens to somebody you don't like very much.
    Last edited by harpuah, Feb 22, 2013
  10. dp4m Chosen One

star 9
    Yes, G-S came back and became Head Admin after returning (unless he went back again and I missed it). We sent a care package to G-S while he was there.
  11. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    I always suspected the Outer Rim Sieges was a front for a terror recruitment cell.
  12. Rogue_Ten Chosen One

star 7
    at least one of you people married the girl so you cant all have hated her
    Handmaiden Yané likes this.
  13. Ghost Chosen One

star 6
    I never really interacted with either of them, kind of remember them posting... but this is bizarre to the extreme. Just when you think things can't get any crazier... I hope they're safe and come home soon. Especially with their child.

But yeah, extremely stupid to go there. From reading through this thread, it has to have been some kind of missionary work (or they converted).
  14. soitscometothis Force Ghost

star 5
    He must really hate you if he banned you after he died. Necro-posting FTW!
  15. Rogue_Ten Chosen One

star 7
    naw he died after banning me. and i havent been banned on that board since...
  16. Obi Anne FF admin Celebrations, Europe

Administrator
    star 7
    I interacted a bit on the boards with JW, and his socks, all in good fun, didn't do much but read Connie's thread though. Still this is probably one of the most bizarre things I've seen in a very long time.

And for those of you wondering why people go to Afghanistan. I'll just say that my sister's partner, who's a freelance journalist, almost decided to just drop by Afghanisthan when he was travelling the Russian parts of Central Asia (Russia is his speciality). It almost broke up their relationships, in the end he didn't go and instead they moved in together, but still there are people who think Afghanistan might be a place to go to. I still think it's a stupid idea though.
  17. A Chorus of Disapproval New Films Riot Deterrent

Manager
    star 7
    [IMG]

Last known photo of them...
    Last edited by A Chorus of Disapproval, Mar 23, 2014
  18. hudzu Chosen One

star 6
    what do you mean "you people"?
  19. tom Chosen One

star 6
    he's being edgy and aggressively distant, as is his wont.
  20. Rogue_Ten Chosen One

star 7
  21. Spider-Fan Force Ghost

star 4
    While I wouldn't say she and I were close, and I clashed with her both online and in real life (worked on a film project with her when I was fresh out of college) I would have liked to have counted her as a friend. Sadly since she left Toronto I haven't had any contact with her. This was the first i have heard about her in years.
  22. Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus

star 7
    ****!

I had no idea this was what the two of them had been up to, though of course I remember chatting with both back in the day. I consider JW an e-friend, at the least.

I don't even know how to react to this news, except with more profanities...
  23. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    I would say (really ill-advised and not at all organized) missionary work made sense... except that evidently JW was previously married to a strict Muslim who was brought up in Afghanistan and Pakistan and whose father was one of the founding members of Al Qaeda. I am still trying to wrap my head around why such a woman would marry JW, and if she even would have married him if he weren't Muslim. Then again, they're also divorced so who the hell knows. And what about Con and her fanatical brand of Catholicism? It could conceivably be traded for a fanatical brand of something else if she thought American Catholics and Christians weren't holy enough, though obviously it's no small thing to switch religions when you're so vehement. It does seem kind of oddly coincidental for JW to backpack into Torah Borah given his former marriage and her family.

Who knows, maybe he just decided he needed to reform people like her family, or maybe Con did. God knows what they were thinking. We aren't going to know and even if we did it probably wouldn't make sense because, let's face it, we're not talking about the most clear-headed of folks. It doesn't seem completely out of the realm of possibility that they might have been drawn in. But I would say the 'missionary' thing made the most sense still. Except for this utterly bizarre former marriage of JW's. Which is just... what?

Either way, it's phenomenally stupid and there are basically only two options:

1) They went native

2) They are dead

Either option relies on a startling amount of idiocy and naïveté on their part. As much as it would be nice to wish them well, I'm not going to partake in idiocy and naïveté of my own in thinking it's realistic that they are or will be okay no matter what their motives were.

Who I am truly sorry for are their families, their child (whether he/she was ever born or not), and any friends they have here who are hurt by this. This is a piteous, gobsmacking situation and is by far the most bizarre thing that has ever happened on these boards in my 12 and a half years of posting here. I'm sorry for anyone caught up in that, but as for JW and Con... I definitely don't wish anything bad on them at all. I just know my wishing doesn't make it so, and I can't believe I have to be the one to just flat out say it, but there is no way this has any kind of happy ending.
    Last edited by solojones, Feb 22, 2013
  24. Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece

star 7
    Something Awful? I know one guy on that forum died in that attack, but he wasn't one that I knew at all.
  25. Rogue_Ten Chosen One

star 7
    yup. he was a mod in their equivalent of the senate.

his last known words were over IM chat with a person on the forum "****, gunfire!"
    Last edited by Rogue_Ten, Feb 22, 2013