main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph 'Jem' set to get a truly outrageous live-action film

Discussion in 'Community' started by Juke Skywalker, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Director Jon Chu is hoping to go a perfect 2-2 when it comes to adapting beloved 80s toy/animation properties into mediocre live-action films as filming begins on Jem and The Holograms. The very cute, but not quite grrr-worthy, Aubrey Peeples (Sharknado. 'nuff said) has been cast in the title role.

In case you don't know, Jem tells the story of record executive Jerrica Benton who, with the help of holographic technology, assumes the identity of Jem, lead singer of a rock band called Jem and the Holograms.

I know this likely won't interest many of you, but you might be surprised to learn that Jem actually has a rather sizeable and passionate following. Large enough to spawn its own annual fan convention called JemCon.

2. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Still prefer the meme of Strawberry Shortcake, She-Ra, and Rainbow Brite doing the Coyote Ugly thing.

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Didn't they try and fail to make Josie and the Pussycats into a live action movie? Why bother?

4. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    Nostalgia, pure and simple.

(Say what you will about the Josie and the Pussycats movie. Tara Reid was perfectly cast as Melody, who was the '70s cartoon version of the "dumb blonde" stereotype).

5. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    I just checked its wiki, and yeah, it bombed big time; a $15 million dollar gross on a $40 million dollar budget. But a couple of things.

- Jem has a much larger and more passionate fan base than J&TP. As far as 80s cartoons go, Jem might be second only to My Little Pony in terms of female-skewing properties (off the top of my head). Personally, I consider J&TP a huge success, if for no other reason, than it gave us Rachel Leigh Cook in kitty ears. Meee-ooow.

- Jem is apparently being made on the super cheapy-cheap. Like indie budget cheap. It's been thrown together rather quickly, as Chu was originally attached to an adaptation of Masters of the Universe, then left that to work on G.I. Joe 3, and then put that on hold so that the writers could work out the kinks on it and took on Jem to knock out in the interim. Dwayne Johnson has claimed that Paramount is now looking for a new director for G.I. Joe 3. I guess we'll see. At this rate, Chu's next flick will be Teddy Ruxpin and The Care Bears in: Silverhawks - Ducktales of the GoBots.

6. DantheJedi

Aug 23, 2009
    A couple of things working against Jem:

-Hasbro hasn't had any Jem toys on store shelves since the late '80s, so it only really has name recognition for those 25-30 and older.

-While the old Jem and the Holograms cartoon has aired on The Hub in recent years, today's kids probably might find it full of '80s kitsch, which might do more harm than good for the film. Not to mention Jem being the subject of ridicule on a couple of Robot Chicken sketches, and I think you might know where I'm going with this.

Just my thoughts.

7. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I never watched this show.

8. DantheJedi

Aug 23, 2009
    I did, only because I wasn't really picky what I watched until I was a teenager, especially cartoons.

I watched Beverly Hills Teens, for crying out loud!

9. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    It works better as a Disney television movie like Camp Rock.

10. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    ive never heard of this. josie and the pussycats, by contrast, was deffo a part of my childhood via cartoon network reruns

11. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    This thread ****ing reeks of neck-beard.

12. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    now that you mention it, i havent shaved in two days...

13. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    i remember this shizz. the misfits were the better band, if memory serves.

14. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    The only question is why this took so long.

15. DantheJedi

Aug 23, 2009
    IIRC, they did a very special episode where one of them turned out to be illiterate,and because she didn't want to be made fun of in front of the others, went behind their backs to learn how to read.

(I told you I watched this show)

16. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Hopefully this is good. Jem was a part of my childhood.

17. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    Yeah and I bet the villains instead of the misfits will be either the Donnas or a band fronted by Joan Jett

18. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

This. GI Joe, Transformers, Ghostbusters, Duck Tales and Ninja Turtles FTW.

Ah, the many joys of being a boy in the 80s :D

Kiki-Gonn likes this.
  19. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Good points. I assume what they're going to try to do is work the nostalgia angle to get women 30 and over, and at the same time try to appeal to the Disney Channel watching tween crowd. The press release said, in part "...for a whole new generation with themes of being true to who you are in a multitasking, hyperlinked social media age.". It's a fine line, as I assume the 30 & up crowd don't want to see two hours of Jem and Co. twerking and Tweeting.

It's my understanding that the budget is pretty low; perhaps even Disney channel movie low. If so, it won't have to rake in much to turn a profit.

They were also much hotter, but bad girls always are.

Truth be told, I've never watched it either. I saw bits and pieces thanks to my step-sisters, but never a full episode. I'm just an 80s cartoon/toy aficionado. If it's 80s, I tend to love it by default.

20. yodafan1031

yodafan1031 Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 15, 2014
    Yep.

21. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Many have complained that Micheal Bay raped their childhood when he made Transformers, but it appears to be nothing in comparison of what I witnessed from the Jem and the Holograms trailer. It looks like a rehash of Hannah Montana.

22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    My college roommate was really into the show. It was a bit too Pepto-Bismol pink girly-girl for me but I didn't hate it.

Might check out the film when Netflix gets it.

23. SithSense

SithSense Force Ghost star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    There seems to be a noticeable lack of holograms in Jem and the Holograms. Wasn't that the entire point of the show? She would have a holographic body double so that nobody knew her real identity?

This trailer looks more like the "based on a true story" of how Stefani Germanotta created Lady Gaga.

Yarp. At least Michael Bay had the decency to hire Peter Cullen.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  24. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    I want to meet the studio executives who green lit this project. Will I get banned if I post a giant picture of a turd?

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  25. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    Jem was one of those shows that was on while you waited for something else.