main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Jemmy's Diary: an observation of the galaxy, the Jedi and sundry other strange people! * 24/10/06*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jemmiah, Jan 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jemmiah

Jemmiah Jedi Master star 5

Mar 5, 2000
    Okay, I've been tinkering with this here and there, and even written a few more pieces. I'm going to repost what I have on this board because I'd like to continue with this one, rather than have it half finished and languishing on the Classic board. So, here goes! :)

Jemmy's Diary

The secret and highly private journal of Jemmiah Gleshan. Enter at your peril and on pain of death. Or at the least a severe maiming and loss of vital body parts?

Please note that this journal is for my eyes only, except for Ben when I am no longer here.

Jemmiah

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ENTRY ONE:

Well, hello diary. I don't know if that's the correct way to speak to a diary or not -like you'll care if I get it wrong- but anyhow here we both are. I'm don't really know what to write. I don't know why I was given you as a present. I think Master Jinn wonders if I'm mad sometimes. It was him that gave you to me, see?

Er?I'm stuck. What do I do? Should I tell you who I am?

My name's Jemmiah, and I'm ten years old. My real name's Jemmiah Angeline Gleshan but that's a bit of a mouthful. So, just call me Jemmy, okay? Most of the people I know do. Least ways they did.

Master Jinn doesn't, though. He always calls me by my full name. He says it's pretty. I suppose it is but I'm not very pretty to look at so Jemmy does me just fine. I never call him by his first name either so I suppose we are even. Master sounds more respectful. Like a teacher. And Qui-Gon is just the ugliest name I've ever heard. It doesn't suit him. He looks like he wants to be something noble or majestic sounding. Something that says 'I'm very tall, don't pick on me.' But I'm afraid Qui-Gon isn't a very romantic sounding name.

Then there's Obi-Wan. What does that mean? If you thought Qui-Gon was an odd name who thought up that? I think the people in charge of naming the babies in this place chose the most horribleist names on purpose. So that's why I call him Ben. THAT's what I call a normal name. It's the name of a Corellian prince, see? Benbeau was a nice guy who liked kids and gave lots of presents away. It made him very popular but I think he might have been short on the old braincells. What a waste of money! I wish I'd been living back then, I'd have cleaned him out in seconds! Anyhow, Ben's easier to say. By the time you'd managed to say 'Obi-Wan Kenobi', half the day has gone.

I've been here for a good few months now. I like it here. Most of the people are nice although when I first came here I got stared at a lot. I don't really like that very much. I enjoy living with Ben and Master Jinn. School's okay sometimes. The kids aren't very nice though. And I get too much mathematics. I wish I were the Chancellor because then I would ban mathematics.

Sophie Digwurt is a pain in the rear. I really, REALLY hate her. Badly. Master Jinn says it's wrong to hate people no matter how horrible they are but that can't be right. If somebody locked a bunch of people up in a turbo lift and then set fire to it, killing everyone inside, am I expected to shake the killer by the hand and tell him what a good job he's done? It doesn't make sense. I told him this and he just sighed and shook his head. Sometimes I think he's disappointed in me.

Sophie's just had her teeth repaired from when she bit into those rock cakes with the stones in them. Maybe I'm getting the message across. I told her that if she wanted her teeth to stay fixed she'd keep out of my way. She actually looked worried for a bit.

Oh, well. That's enough for just now. Hope that was okay.

Jemmy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ENTRY TWO:

I think I'm coming down with a cold or something. My head feels like it's full of lumpy porridge. An-Paj (that's the healer guy with the white hair) told me when I first came that my immune system (the thing that makes you stay healthy) wasn't working properly and that it would take a long while to get better. This means that if there's any germs going I will get it. I don't know how long things are going to be like that but it looks like it mi

2. LukesTheMan

LukesTheMan Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 30, 2004
    And Qui-Gon is just the ugliest name I've ever heard. It doesn't suit him. He looks like he wants to be something noble or majestic sounding. Something that says 'I'm very tall, don't pick on me.' But I'm afraid Qui-Gon isn't a very romantic sounding name.

Oh how true! What a great beginning. I know this one will have me laughing every single post! [face_laugh]

3. mouse2

mouse2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    It's so good to see this back up again! I love little Jemmy's views on the Jedi. Master Jinn better watch out! :D

I hate the fact tho that every little bug that's floating around she gets. :(

4. maychorian

maychorian Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    Cool! I like this story already, even though I have no idea about anything behind it. Jemmy is very fun, original character. I like her attitude and her comments about things.

And this is extremely well written. Good sense of timing. I'm excited to read more!

5. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Awww, so cute. I love the thoughts on the names, the part about Sophie...

6. BrokenNoseOfQui-Gon

BrokenNoseOfQui-Gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 15, 2004
    [face_laugh]

Enjoyed that very much! I hope there will be more very soon.

Jemmy is quite adorable and will obviously keep Qui-Gon on his toes. :D

7. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Awww yay! I enjoyed this on the classic board but it was a locked topic and I couldn't post that I had read it :D

And Qui-Gon is just the ugliest name I've ever heard. It doesn't suit him. He looks like he wants to be something noble or majestic sounding. Something that says 'I'm very tall, don't pick on me.' But I'm afraid Qui-Gon isn't a very romantic sounding name.

With respect to Jemmy I most humbly disagree :p [face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

That was lovely! Just the way I imagine a little girl writing in her diary.

8. Jemmiah

Mar 5, 2000
    LukesTheMan: Thank you! I hope you enjoy it.

Mouse: * grin * Indeed Qui had better watch out! The germ thing is of course a plot point in the chronicles - but then you already know that! ;) Thanks for reading!

Maychorian: Bless you for being so kind, lol! I'm fond of Jemmy as a character: she has a unique view on everything that goes on around her. Thank you for reading, too!

Ish: Many thanks! Yeah, Sophie's a bit of a pain in the rear where Jemmy's concerned?

BrokenNoseOfQui-Gon: (Great name, btw!) Yep, she'll keep Qui on his toes, although whether he'll think she's adorable all the time is up for debate! Thank you for reading.

Layren: Awww, thanks! * blushes * I'm glad it seems authentic. And yeah, I personally like the name Qui-Gon. But Quiggy is much cuter! Thank you for reading!

Anyone who is interested in back-story, there are a few that link in.

The short story about Sophie's teeth - or lack of thanks to Jemmiah - can be found here in 'From Little Acorns (Mighty Oaks Doth Grow)':

http://boards.theforce.net/Before_the_Saga/b10475/11487979/?19

The story of how Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan first found Jemmy can be read here in 'As Long as There is Hope':

http://boards.theforce.net/Before_the_Saga/b10475/10935326/?117

I'm very bad at links!

9. AnakinsHeir

AnakinsHeir Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2004
    [face_laugh]

Loved it!

10. WhosScruffyLooking

WhosScruffyLooking Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 30, 2004
    Oh, I love diary stories! I don't know why. I guess I was hooked from the first time I read Anne Frank! Can't wait for more, and this looks like much lighter reading, thank goodness! :D

11. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I loved her thoughts on Qui-Gon's name. I dunno, I kind of like it. I think it suits the big lug! I say that with all affection, of course! :p

12. SarkaVrae

SarkaVrae Jedi Master star 5

Jun 3, 2004
    ok, Jem--i'll bite :D i'm officially delurking for you in order to join in and read this from the beginning. aren't you proud? ;) :D i know i am! :)

anyway, cool & fun! can't wait to read the rest--plus you'll be posting it like you are writing it all over again, so i can pretend we are all reading it for the first time together! lol

wonderful job, Jemmy is adorable. :)

13. Jemmiah

Mar 5, 2000
    ENTRY FOUR:

Hello again diary,

I'm a little better today; at least that's my story. If I tell myself this often enough maybe I'll believe it. I don't like lying in bed staring at four walls all day. I got enough of that when I was sick and stuck in the infirmary for all those weeks but Master Jinn likes to fuss over me. If I show him I'm better then he's sure to let me out of bed, right?

My hair really needs washed too. I hate it when my hair goes all horrible and tangled up from lying in bed too long, I think that's why Master Jinn calls me 'Tangles'. It's a real mess at the moment. I told him I'd thought about getting it cut off because I was fed up with it but 'Qui-Gee' says that I'm just in a bad mood from being sick and I'd regret it later if I did attack it with a pair of jack-scissors. I wouldn't really ever do that because I like having long hair.

He keeps checking up on me. I think this means I'm either about to die or he doesn't trust me.

That's not very fair, is it? I'm too sick to cause trouble?no, I mustn't say that. I AM GETTING BETTER. I AM GETTING BETTER. I AM GETTING BETTER?

Who am I kidding?

At least I don't have to see Sophie Digwurt's ugly face at the moment. Being at death's door has its advantages?

Jemmy

~~~~~~~~~~~

ENTRY FIVE:

Guess what dairy?

Yup, that's right. I got even worse. I've got a cough that wakes up people living on the outer reaches of Dantooine. I feel really guilty coz I must be annoying everyone around me. I can't help getting sick though. It's not my fault!

Master Jinn's gone majorly into nanny-droid mode. He doesn't so much hover now as set up base camp by my bedside. And when he does leave it's so he can bring in some herbal tea muck. I won't bother you with the details but it tastes really yucky. Ben has a hidden nasty streak to him so I've found out. He told me I'd really enjoy drinking it. He laughed himself silly whilst I struggled not to spray it out over the bedcovers. I'll get better and then I'll find some way of paying him back for that trick.

I've taken to hiding you under my pillow, diary. Master Jinn frowns when he sees me typing on the mini keypad when I'm supposed to be resting. You're the only thing that keeps me from going nuts at the moment, but I think maybe he is right?my vision keeps going swirly. He's threatened to send for An-Paj if I don't improve soon.

I don't deserve that!

Jemmy (coughing and spluttering)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ENTRY SIX:

Diary,

I admit it. I'm really sick.

I'd taken to placing a pillow over my head to stop me from coughing so loudly but Master Jinn thought I might smother myself so he took it away. Ben doesn't laugh at me anymore; at least that's something. He said sorry for the thing with the herbal tea and told me to think of it as carrying on a temple tradition. The masters have been poisoning their padawans with this stuff since the dawn of the jedi, so he says. Ben also says that he gets it shoved down his throat whenever he's ill so I have to suffer too. I have my rapidly growing toy collection round me for comfort, but there's more to it than that. If I surround myself with toys then An-Paj can't get at me with his horrible medicine?

Let's see. There's Treethna the cannoid. Master Berlingside brought him back for me from a mission. Then there's Silas, my Nargot. Ben got him for me yesterday to say sorry for the mean trick he played with the tea. I don't know where from but I thought that was quite sweet. But I won't tell him that.

Llulath is my Nerf toy. He's nice and big with real Nerf's hair. I like him because I can hide behind him. Gruunaaarth is my Wookiee doll. He's great but for some reason I don't understand he smells funny. Master Samir gave me a Togorian toy as well, which seemed to shock Master Jinn rigid. Apparently he isn't normally prone to giving kids gifts and Master Berlingside says that he doesn't even like children at all.

Shorni is my one eyed Gundark. I like him because he gives Master Jinn the creeps. I often catch him sta

14. mouse2

mouse2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    Master Jinn's gone majorly into nanny-droid mode. *snicker* I can just see that! The pacing back and forth and camping out next to her bed. That could really get annoying after awhile.

But I'm sure the plants will be nice and healthy from all the green tea and medicine! :p

I love the embellishes Jemmy puts on everything, especially how much blood An-Paj took with the long and pointy needle! ;)

15. Layren

Oct 28, 2003

Master Jinn's gone majorly into nanny-droid mode. He doesn't so much hover now as set up base camp by my bedside. And when he does leave it's so he can bring in some herbal tea muck. I won't bother you with the details but it tastes really yucky. Ben has a hidden nasty streak to him so I've found out. He told me I'd really enjoy drinking it. He laughed himself silly whilst I struggled not to spray it out over the bedcovers. I'll get better and then I'll find some way of paying him back for that trick.

[face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

I think that'd be my reaction if someone tried to make me drink herb tea too :p I hate tea :p

16. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Classic! Brilliant! [face_laughing]

Loved it!

17. maychorian

Jan 7, 2005
    Master Jinn's gone majorly into nanny-droid mode. He doesn't so much hover now as set up base camp by my bedside.

That was definitely my favorite line. I laughed out loud. Great post!

And poor Jemmy. It's no fun being sick, especially when you're a little kid. Still, her irrepressible humor shines through. I also liked the "don't stick me with that, I'm only little" bit. Hope she gets well soon.

I'm also slowly reading through "As Long as There's Hope." Wonderful story!

Thanks for writing this. Keep it up!

18. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Heehee, nanny-droid, the smelly wookiee doll...

19. Jemmiah

Mar 5, 2000
    ENTRY EIGHT:

Ben thinks he's got the sniffles now. That would be ironic. He never seems to be out the infirmary as it is.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ENTRY NINE:

I'm feeling better now. This time I can actually say it without fibbing. The medicine seems to be doing the trick although Master Jinn is STILL hovering. I'm sure he must have better things to do with his time than watch me coughing my lungs up but he doesn't mind because he can sit and think of all sorts of horrible questions to give Ben on his next history assignment. I asked to be allowed out of bed and he said that if I continue to make progress then tomorrow I can get up and about.

I'm still not well enough to go to school because An-Paj says my armful of blood shows that my immune-thingy is still very poorly. I'm worried I might fall behind in class but as long as it keeps me away from Sophie the Gamorrean then I suppose I should be happy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ENTRY TEN:

Ben isn't sick; he's just imagining it. He thought he was coming down with something but it looks like it has cleared up. Master Jinn is very pleased because he says the idea of having to look after two sick children is 'too horrific to contemplate'.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ENTRY ELEVEN:

Guess what, diary?

It's five days since I became sick and now Master Jinn has caught my illness! Ben and I have been running around after him, even though I'm still not well and he keeps urging me to go away and lie down. But I'm just returning the kindness. He hovered when I was sick so now I am going to do the same!

Do you think he'd like a cup of herbal tea?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ENTRY TWELVE:

Master Jinn doesn't look very happy. It wasn't my fault I spilled his herbal tea all over him, it was Ben. He made me laugh and I sorta threw it all over the place. I've tried to make up for it by telling him my endless supply of Bantha jokes. For example:

QUESTION: What do you get if you cross a Bantha, a cannoid and a book chip?
    ANSWER: A shaggy dog story.

He didn't laugh very much.

Still, I put on my nurse's outfit to show I meant business. That only seemed to make him more nervous. I then put my foot in it by mentioning I'd heard Master Berlingside saying he knew Ben had a thing for women in uniforms?I covered up my mistake by innocently asking Master Jinn what he meant by that. He sorta turned a mildish red shade and said he'd tell me when I was older. Much older.

Course I know what he was talking about. You don't spend five years living in a brothel without learning the facts of life pretty quickly. I can't tell him that though. I guess I'm worried that he'll think of me differently if I let slip just how clued up I am about that sort of thing. I don't want to be seen as some kind of object of pity, or a freak. I often catch him looking at me sometimes as if he's wondering?but he never does say anything. He's curious about what happened on Nargotria and I don't think he'd like it if he found out the details. So for now I'm just playing the innocent schoolgirl.

Anyhow, now he's giving Ben funny looks so it looks like I've dropped him up to his neck in poodoo!

Now Master Jinn is ill it looks like I won't be going to the art gallery any time soon. I was looking forward to that. I like drawing and stuff. Ben said he'd take me but Master Jinn said he'd prefer it if we didn't.

No, actually he croaked "Not a Hutt in hell's chance I'm letting you two wander off on your own."

Damn.

Jemmy (still with an unattractive red nose)

20. Jemmiah

Mar 5, 2000
    Mouse: You know Jemmy so well! Always exaggerating her point for artistic purposes - as an indication of just how strongly she feels about things! Alas, it's not the last time Qui-Gon will be hovering by her sick bed, as we know, but at least on this occasion Jemmy has the last laugh where the tea's concerned!

Layren: Yes, I can't say I'm too keen on herbal remedies myself (although I have no doubt they work). You just have to ask yourself if it's worth putting yourself through having to drink the stuff in order to recover more quickly! And Qui-Gon knows the 'putting-the-awful-tasting-stuff-in-the-plant-pot' trick of old. He used to do it with Yoda's gruel!

VaderLvr: Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it.

Maychorian: Thanks! I hope you enjoy 'As Long as There is Hope'. It's sad in places, given the nature of the piece, but ultimately a happy ending.

Ish: The smelly Wookiee doll is based on a toy lion I bought whilst on holiday to the Isle of Man, aged seven or thereabouts. The wretched thing had a really weird smell. In fact even after twenty four years it still does!

Thanks for reading, everybody!

21. Layren

Oct 28, 2003

Now Master Jinn is ill it looks like I won't be going to the art gallery any time soon. I was looking forward to that. I like drawing and stuff. Ben said he'd take me but Master Jinn said he'd prefer it if we didn't.

No, actually he croaked "Not a Hutt in hell's chance I'm letting you two wander off on your own."

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] Can't say that I blame him :D Poor QUi lolol.

Edit -- This is my 2,000th post! [face_dancing] [face_dancing] [face_dancing]

22. maychorian

Jan 7, 2005
    Sweeeeet. I rather like the lack of plot in this story. (So far.) It's fun just to enjoy the random thoughts of an impish child.

23. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Ahhh, what I would to have a Jedi hovering over my needs. :) Love Jemmiah's insight.. highly unique at times. LOL!

24. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I then put my foot in it by mentioning I'd heard Master Berlingside saying he knew Ben had a thing for women in uniforms?

You and your foreshadowing.... *shakes head* ;)

It's wonderful to see these again, Jem! I love reading Jemmy's insight. :)

25. Calamity Jinn

Calamity Jinn Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2000

Awww, poor Quiggy! ;)

Glad to see them here sis. I love the young Jemmy stories. It's great to read her point of view in a temple full of Jedi. :)

And "As long as there is hope" is definitely one of the best stories I've read on these boards, so if people are looking for a good read I'd definitely recommend it. There's nothing like a good baddy in a story!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.