main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jericho

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by JediTrilobite, Aug 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    I wasn't that inerested either.

I think the networks are going to kill this serial TV fad before it even really gets started.

2. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I don't think that it'll be killed. LOST seems to be holding pretty well, and there seems to be one or two really good ones that last right on through. Veronica Mars is also going into it's third season, which is nice.

3. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Well I certainly don't think that Lost is in any danger and I don't know if I really consider VM serial...

Either ways what I was getting at is that there seems to be a fair amount of backlash in both the media and popular culture about how these type of shows have been handled by the networks since they've all been trying to find a Lost to call their own. You end up disenfranchising your own audience though when they cancel something mid-season or as was more common last year, end something with no resolution or chance of revival.

4. malcolm-darth-am-i

malcolm-darth-am-i Jedi Padawan star 4

May 21, 2005
    Well, there all still cursing themselves for turning away J.J. and Lost. All the networks denied Lost, even ABC, they had to go back again to finally get accepted.

RE: The Stand question.

It has some similarities. Sickness(Bombing), and a fight for survival. Plus the character who knows too much, and marked all the major cities with the pins, could indicate that others survived, and could be out to gain control of the country. And it will turn into a fight of Good and Evil.

5. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    ABC commissioned LOST.

I'm giving this one more try then giving it up. Story's interesting, but the characters suck.

6. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Yep, they even went through other creators before Abrahms got the job. They wanted a real life survivor. Go figure.

Jericho though, can't say I'm loving it.

7. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    *Shrugs* I liked the first episode a lot.

8. DarthAJ

DarthAJ Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2004
    I would have liked if it the main character didn't lie every few sentences, plus the fact that he is begging for money does not appeal to me. I like the mom though...

9. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    I just got to the part where the teenage girl was being bitchy, told the kid to leave, then asked him to come back. Lazy writing if you ask me.

10. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    3 episodes in and well unfortunately this show doesn't seem to be anything special. Tis a shame really because it should have a lot of potential, having said that, there is a fair bit of mystery with some of the characters which I would really like revealled.

11. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    I donno, last episode really brought it over the hump for me. Starting to get more interesting now.

12. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    When the kid was giving her advice on how to avoid the radioactive rain she just yelled at him and said "Don't tell me what to do!" At that moment I wanted her to die a most horrible death.

13. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    When she turned around and asked him in, I just groaned.

14. Kol_Skywalker

Kol_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006
    I'm quite enjoying the show so far. Just watched episode 5 today. Am intrigued to find out who caused the bombs, and who the US is retaliating against (as shown at the end of the 5th Episode).

Also want to know about the mysterious newcomer to the town, who seems to know what is going on.

15. Kol_Skywalker

Jun 9, 2006
    There are a few things that are keeping me with this series:

Robert Hawkins - who is he really? How did he know to expect the attack? This brings up questions of itsself; is he an enemy agent? Or, if he is a US agent, and had foreknowledge of the attacks, why didn't the USA do anything to prevent the attacks?

Who are the US reliating against, as seen at the end of Episode 5? A state, or a terrorist group? I suspect the former, as I can't see the USA using ICBM's otherwise.

16. Rebel_Padawan

Apr 11, 2003
    The pub shakes, they run outside to see what is going on. Up, high in the sky they discover 2 missiles have been launched into the sky...

"... 2 Weeks later..."

WHAT THE? If ever there was a more inappropriate moment for 'time to pass on', this has got to be it.

They could have kept the conspiracy going on with other mayhem events happening in this time but instead they apparently have been living on for 2 weeks with nothing else 'significant' happening.

The two characters that keep me watching this show are 'Jake Green' and 'Robert Hawkins'.

17. Rebel_Padawan

Apr 11, 2003
    And another episode of Jericho has passed!

Not a great episode, but enjoyable non the less. Next week's episode looks promising!

18. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    It's frustrating that they still don't know who bombed the U.S. They have news that a bombing was thwarted in NYC but they still can't figure out who did it? It's been weeks if not months. I think it's time for some answers.

19. Rebel_Padawan

Apr 11, 2003
    Well how are they supposed to find out when they have no contact to the outside world?

It has apparently been 4 weeks since the bombing.

I don't know whether this is common practise for TV shows, but I was impressed that they had a Halloween theme in the town around the same time it actually was Halloween.

20. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    I've been enjoying this show a hell of a lot. Much better than LOST which garners more press.

21. Kol_Skywalker

Jun 9, 2006
    Interesting...

With all those cities being practically hit at the same time, I as a viewer assumed that the attack was from ICBM's or somesuch, ie: another country attacking the USA.

Now, it seems that with the news that people were stopped with a bomb in a truck in NYC, it could be a terrorist event?

I find a lot of similarities to the novel Lucifer's Hammer. Granted, that was about an asteroid / comet / meteor impact, not a nuclear war, but people surviving a post-apocalyptic event is similar.

22. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    I disagree - the story's interesting, lots of potential, but the characters, a good majority of them, just suck.

23. Rebel_Padawan

Apr 11, 2003
    Yay! Jericho is on tonight!

24. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Wow, I think that this is one of the best episodes of the series. I'll post up some more thoughts in a bit.

25. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Some people I can understand, but practically the whole town except a couple of protagonists was -- up until very recently -- in denial.

Looks like that won't be the case starting next week.

Really, really liked this episode. NOTHING felt mundane or "normal" about what's going on. Outside Jericho has already turned into a Mad Max-esque landscape. The "discovery" that Hawkins is/was "supposedly" FBI (Office of the Director, no less), and his family's teamwork deception of Grey and the deputy. Grabbing a second doctor (who appears to be a surgeon). Jake propped up against the back of the couch all night with the shotgun.

However, the Morse code this week:

"ROB NOT FBI"

Hawkins is not what he seems. Not bad guy, perhaps, but most definitely a spook; probably CIA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.