main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jetpack alternatives?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Padawan Hunter, Apr 6, 2013.

?

Is technology invention within fan fiction okay?

1. Yes, I love to invent new droids and starships.

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. No, canon is a must.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. To an extent; don't go inventing undead cyborg flying monkeys!

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Padawan Hunter

Padawan Hunter Jedi Youngling

Apr 6, 2013
    Hello, I'm new to the forum, but I'm a fan of fan fiction and often need guidance regarding choices I make within my SW fictions. Being canonical is always good, but most of my short writings are sketchy and create new inventions in themselves. Currently, I'm in the middle of writing a new short story about a bounty hunter/ex padawan or Gray Paladin, not sure which yet. I'm placing the story around the clone war era as far as technology goes. My question is this:

Are there alternatives to jetpacks that work in and out of gravity wells? Also, would something like this (http://tron.wikia.com/wiki/Tron_chute) be possible in the SW universe?

Thanks.

2. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Try Wookieepedia they have a lot of info on many things Star Wars.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

"The Starman and Moon Goddess."

3. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    The way parachutes work depends on the size of the fabric versus the weight of the object and air particles being collected by the fabric. The larger the square area, the more control you have over your fall. So a Tron Chute would not work as a typical parachute due to its lack of square area vs the weight of the object. Now if the blades worked like a helicopter in the same way that a pine cone seed does, then the Tron Chute can slow the fall of a person. But last I remember those blades are stationary and most things in The Grid defies the laws of physics anyway.

So no they wouldn't work outside a digital realm.

Tapatalk Signature
    ----------
    Use the light switch, Luke. Trust your feelings!

thesevegetables likes this.
  4. Padawan Hunter

Apr 6, 2013
    Lady_Misty -- I've spent hours and hours clawing through Wookiepedia for any and everything that crosses my mind, but I've not found anything other than a jetpack for what I'm looking for.

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo -- I was thinking exactly like that, but I've been wanting to come up with a legitimate explanation to have some sort of plasma/laser/energy wing backpack. I don't think that there is any way to make it so. My desired device would look something like the back of the sith acolyte costume in The Force Unleashed 2, but with extending energy beam wings for gliding. I understand how that is simply fantasy and cannot be so, but I did hope that some one could convince me otherwise.

Here are some images of the sith acolyte:
    (concept drawings)
    http://i4.ytimg.com/vi/CNSz2IwpzcM/mqdefault.jpg
    (in-game final)
    http://guidesmedia.ign.com/guides/55059/images/590/Acolyte.jpg
    http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/de...TFU2 2010-10-28 20-55-17-16.jpg?itok=3SP29FKa

5. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    That could work as a gilder, especially if the skirts in the first image are designed to work like a wingsuit.

6. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    This probably won't help, but there's an example of a flight pack here.

7. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    They could always grow wings through experimentation...

8. Padawan Hunter

Apr 6, 2013
    I'm not sure, but I assume that the skirts of the acolyte concept drawings are merely for looks. I suppose that it could be part of a wing suit, though. My inspiration for this idea was to some how take advantage of force jumps in order to maintain flight of some kind. Gliders seemed reasonable, but a small backpack glider that didn't restrict movement like a wing suit is a bit harder to create; not to mention my affinity for the energy-beam-esque look.

The Robocop 3 flight pack is pretty awesome and intimidating, but again, it is rather bulky and seemingly restricting.

Growing wings is probably the most functional and probable way to solve the jetpack problem, but I'd like for the wings to be mechanical rather than organic. Also, I'm trying to stay away from ornithoptic, (not sure if that is correct), flight.

I do love all the thoughts and feed back though! Thank you everyone for taking an interest. :)

9. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    Batmans cape from Batman Begins and The Dark Knight! It is flexible and unrestrictive, and acts as a glider.

Or at least the tech used to make it.

Adding the tech to the Tron or TFU concept, you can create the wings while avoiding bulkiness, restriction and maintain lightweight, flexibility, the coolness factor and flight.

Tapatalk Signature
    ----------
    Use the light switch, Luke. Trust your feelings!

10. Padawan Hunter

Apr 6, 2013
    Of course! Batman's cape! That had totally slipped my mind. I will use that to develop my glider pack. Thanks CmdrMitthrawnuruodo, my idea machine is back in motion.

11. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    You're welcome :D

12. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Hi and welcome to the JCF!

In the future, this might be a question better suited for the Help Desk Thread, or to get yourself a fanfic Master or Beta to help with these types of questions. As your question seems to be answered I'm going to lock this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.