main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Jim Raynor's "RLM's Episode I - Review A Study in Fanboy Stupidity"

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Jarren_Lee-Saber, Oct 6, 2016.

1. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015

This thread is full of irony here. Both from PT and Non-PT fans. Don't think for a second that PT fans are the only problem here.

This thread is a perfect example of the meaning "jank"

Why is it not closed? I wish this were so...So much...

2. seventhbeacon

seventhbeacon Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 3, 2015

Oh yeah. This thread's been jank from the very first post! :) I can't foresee any good coming from its existence.

DarthCricketer likes this.
  3. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    The irony is your post here is an example of your slang term "jank." If you disapprove of this thread so much, why are you still posting in it which only serves to feed it? The best thing for you and others who disapprove of this thread can do is stop posting in it so at least you cease to continue to expand it. Your post here just expanded this to six pages.

4. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015

Thats a good question....Why do I post here in the thread? Aren't I doing that same? Engaging with the group? Factoring in my own contribution?

Why post in the forums at all when faced with the same repetitiveness?

Perhaps I post here because I am very displeased. A topic time and time again that has been rumbled on....And it hasn't stopped. Usually, I'm not as frustrated...But this past year on the boards has made me to be unsympathetic to many things here.. Even isolated the social thread family due to not me only being very busy, but more disdain for the PT forums. Faced with topic after topic, Hangers, Plot holes, Bad PT, Good PT, OTvsPTvsTFAvsTCW, objectivity etc....

I think this thread has truly made me angry. At everyone, even myself. It's an Endless Death Star Sphere(EDSS). There is no end of the trench run....The loop forever encompasses Luke Skywalker, attempting to blow up the death star.

Lil Ani: Opps!

You are right, I am contributing to the thing I hate most. Good thing you pointed that out, I might have continued:D

Cryogenic

Apologies for my sudden frustrations....Think it's time for my Oil Bath!

5. Slicer87

Mar 18, 2013
    I can understand that feeling, probably Lucas as well. Even Jim has posted over on PAS he rarely visits SW boards or sites anymore over similar feelings you expressed. SW fandom has been broken for a long time, well before the PT or the SEs (which fans also argue over).

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  6. boonjj

boonjj Jedi Master star 1

Jan 21, 2016

If it doesn't interest you then don't participate in it.

OP has already stated they got mod permission to create this thread, so posts like the above are not adding anything at this point.

elfdart and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  7. seventhbeacon

Dec 3, 2015
    Oh, it's all definitely interesting, but at the same time there seem to be about four threads hovering around the general discussion of perceivedquality of the PT, so it definitely also feels redundant. Btw, the review/rebuttal Slicer87 shared earlier, I think, is a much better, more clear-minded response to the RLM video.

8. TheMoldyCrow

TheMoldyCrow Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2015
    I disagree. Sure, there were people who didn't really care for ROTJ back in the 80's, but people didn't viciously argue about it like you see with stuff nowadays. Even the SE didn't really get that reaction initially. It wasn't until the PT started that the fandom really started to break apart, at least in my opinion.

DarthCricketer likes this.
  9. Darth Cocytus

Darth Cocytus Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2016
    I get the Plinkett reviews are more of a satire and are not to be taken completely serious, but why are there those who take them so seriously to the point of taking them as gospel truth, thus attacking those who disagree?

10. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005

Ah! It's all good.

I think everyone needs an oil bath. :p

Yes, it seems free of the anger that slightly blights the Raynor rebuttal -- however, it's not as comprehensive, and is clearly incomplete; or, perhaps better put, unfinished.

The deal with Star Wars is really quite simple (and anything but):

It's an artwork about which people create artworks.

The quality, complexity, texture, and layering of these artworks varies; every bit as much the medium -- the mechanism -- and the delivery system.

Nothing can truly encapsulate the majesty and sublimity of the original piece; but everyone has a unique way of trying their hand at it.

It's actually a rather ancient way of concentrating mental energy on an object; a poetic form of dialogue with an object; an attempt to explain and therefore contain it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ekphrasis

To criticize is to appreciate, to appropriate, to take intellectual possession, to establish in fine a relation with the criticized thing and to make it one's own.
    -- Henry James

Everyone does this (performs sith) in their own way. Ultimately, there is no "right" or "wrong", as the experience of art is -- finally -- subjective. A consumptive dance one makes one's own.

11. Slicer87

Mar 18, 2013

There were fans who disliked TESB back when it first came out. A woman who published a major early fanzine shut it down because she was disgusted with TESB, mainly with Leia choosing Han. However, a big difference between TESB and TPM is the internet. Even in 97 the internet was still pretty new and many were not using it yet, but by early 2000s many people were using it, giving angry fans a bigger megaphone than ever before.

12. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    All fanbases have those kind of people.

Slicer87 likes this.
  13. TwinSunset

TwinSunset Jedi Padawan

Aug 28, 2016
    I'm sorry but why is it ok for people to "bash" RLM for their review but not ok for us who enjoy the review to talk about them positively on these forums? A mere mention of the word Plinkett usually results in Admin stormtroopers coming in and locking the thread. Oh wait its because any discussion of prequel flaws (of which there are many to choose from) might upset the prequel fans and we can't have that can we? There is such a double-standard on these forums its getting to the point of craziness, if i want to talk about how the plinkett reviews are great then i should be able to, just as these people are allowed to talk about why they think the review isn't so great. Look, I don't like the prequels. Compared to the OT they are obviously the weaker films ( And no i'm not blinded by nostalgia because guess what, i grew up with the prequels!). However i respect (don't understand) that some people like em', love them even, that's great! The prequel fans should be allowed to talk about why the PT is great (*gags*) and they should be allowed to defend it from the BIG review. However i too should be able to discuss why i don't like them and be allowed to praise the Plinkett review for what in my opinion perfectly explains the problems with the prequels.

14. seventhbeacon

Dec 3, 2015

I think if it's an on-topic case-by-case bringing up of Plinkett's Points it's probably not an issue. My guess is there were some who would drop into PT section threads and name-drop Plinkett specifically to troll others. When I've brought up the RLM reviews in threads specifically dealing with criticisms, I haven't experienced any trouble or censorship about it. My guess is if it once was disallowed at the peak of some infighting, that the unspoken rule has been loosened.

As long as we're adhering to the "Films-Not-Fans" focus of posting, there shouldn't be an issue... (at least most of the time).

15. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    In the past RLM threads have tended to devolve into general OT vs. PT battlegrounds. General battleground threads always seem to bring about the worst behavior. Also, there are posters in this very thread who proudly waved the RLM flag, so I'm not seeing a double standard.

16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    This thread is the most disappointing thing since my son.

Jk it's an interesting read. I personally love RLM reviews, and I never ever take them seriously. The Mr. Plinkett character is basically making fun of both pro and anti PT fans. It's fascinating that nearly half a decade later (I think?) and people are still referencing and discussing these reviews.

17. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    What double standard? Recently, because of this same embargo, prequel fans weren't generally allowed to defend the movies from any mention of these reviews and their "irrefutable" points, either. And yet, here we now are. So, if you want to talk about them, stop grandstanding and go right ahead.

It's reassuring to hear that prequel fans should be allowed to talk about these reviews if they please -- on a prequel trilogy forum. It's doubly reassuring to hear that sentiment coming from a person that "gags" at the idea of the prequels being great, and who lists only the original trilogy and "The Force Awakens" in their signature, which concludes, "Pretty sure that's all there is." Given that you apparently don't view the prequels as proper Star Wars films, I find it interesting you were able to locate this forum; and this thread; and have posted to complain about "double standards". Double standards on a forum dedicated to movies you don't think exist.

18. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    So you totally agree then with all the "problems" he points out with TFA and how he was gagging at the same time about how the PT in his opinion tried to do something new while TFA really was about doing nothing new at all?

This is the basic conundrum that we knew was going to happen when we realized new movies were going to happen and it happened right away in TFA and the same is seemingly going to happen with R1.

That these new movies will be just as much (if not more so in many ways) like the PT than the OT (while bending more to OT imagery in places) is very problematic in the present and ongoing.

TFA works very well with the PT and OT and I'd say that much more with the PT ethic overall.

19. TwinSunset

TwinSunset Jedi Padawan

Aug 28, 2016
    Everyone criticises TFA for being an ANH remake, how is it more like the prequels than the original trilogy?

20. trikadekaphile

trikadekaphile Jedi Knight star 2

May 6, 2015
    You have GOT to be kidding. The prequel fans do not get anything like preferential treatment on this board. They never have. The prequel-dislikers have always been allowed to run roughshod over the prequel fans, though to hear them tell it, they are so badly victimized and silenced. That's a laugh. Prequel fans can't have one, even ONE, thread free from prequel-hate. And the reverse is true on the OT and TFA boards. You don't DARE say anything critical about the sacred OT (which stands for Original Two; ROTJ occupies the doghouse with the prequels), or about the sacred TFA.

I'll say to you what I've said to other prequel-dislikers who fancy themselves so persecuted and censored: get off your cross. We need the wood. If you truly MUST spend more time on movies you despise (the prequels), and want to gush over Plinkett's inane, dishonest, stupid, many-times-rebutted reviews, there are a zillion places all over the internet where you can do so to your heart's content. You'll get all kinds of support, praise and gushing over how smart you are to appreciate Plinkett's genius, unlike those 100 or so poor deluded prequel fans who are still in denial. And it's not like bashing the prequels is forbidden on this board either.

21. Jedi with a TARDIS

Jedi with a TARDIS Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 4, 2013

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

I just don't think non PT fans get just how crappy it feels to have the love and joy for something so thoroughly snubbed and demeaned. I come to these threads to enjoy the company of fellow Star Wars fans, but I get called "stupid" for loving all of it. And yes, I don't get called that straight out, but contrary to popular belief ("Mr. Plinkett") I'm not a moron - I get subtext. It's actually one of the reasons I enjoy the prequels so much.

22. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015

trikadekaphile Well said!

23. Darthman92

Darthman92 Force Ghost star 6

Feb 24, 2016
    Edit : on second thought, I'm reconsidering whether or not I want to get into this one.

Cryogenic likes this.
  24. CaptainSuchandSuch

CaptainSuchandSuch Jedi Master star 2

Dec 8, 2015
    I know what you mean. Even before I started to get into the PT recently, I've had a lot of fandoms that get tons of hate from the internet. Not a nice feel.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Cryogenic like this.
  25. trikadekaphile

trikadekaphile Jedi Knight star 2

May 6, 2015
    Heh. Tell me about it. As I said elsewhere, the prequel-dislikers love to claim that the prequels are "forgettable" and "forgotten," when they clearly haven't forgotten them, nor do they find them all that forgettable, because they keep posting about them, more than 10 years after the last one came out, and the better part of 20 years after the first one came out.

If the prequels "don't exist" to this poster, why do they care if anybody considers the prequels great, let alone "gag at the idea"?

Some prequel-dislikers have cast their continuing efforts against the prequels as a noble effort to "make those in charge care what the fans want." (I'll leave aside the arrogant assumption that they speak for all fans.) Well, with TFA, they got what they wanted (judging by the way they uncritically gush over it and refuse to countenance the idea that it has any flaws), and it's STILL not enough for them.

They've claimed TFA "erased all bad memories of the prequels," and "is the first real SW movie since ESB." OK...so why are they continuing to post on prequel forums? To refresh the "bad memories" that TFA (which I call TFAYAGBTS -- "The Force Awakens, Yawns and Goes Back to Sleep") supposedly "erased"? If so, why?