main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Jimmy Smits (Bail Organa) in Rogue One

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Bosskkkk, Jul 15, 2016.

1. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    So great to see Bail Organa again!!!

I loved his subtle reference to going and getting Obi-Wan Kenobi. But when he said he had to go back to Alderaan, I was like "Nooooooo!!! Stay away!"

2. Ambervikings91

Ambervikings91 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    I felt the same way in the theater!

Darth Dnej and Ubraniff Zalkaz like this.
  3. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    I didn't quite understand his line about "Going back to tell my people that there will be no peace"

It didn't make a ton of sense -- unless i just am being obtuse.

What kind of "peace" would they expect to hear about? Where was a peaceful resolution ever possible?

4. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014

I'm partially paraphrasing, but it was

Mon: "we need someone you can trust" (to get retrieve Obi-Wan)
    Bail: "I trust her with my life"

5. DarthBeagle

DarthBeagle Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 24, 2004
    You're not alone. Rogue One is an excellent bridge between ROTS and ANH. The story flows now instead of jumps.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

6. Zejo the Jedi

Zejo the Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 16, 2016
    He was great.
    I loved it when he mentioned Obi Wan.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  7. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I think the early Rebellion hoped that they could resolve it peacefully. The deleted scenes from ROTS go into that and I think it's what they hope will happen when they bring Erso to the Senate to testify. I think a lot of them are hoping it won't escalate into another full scale war but by this point Mothma and Organa know there's no other way.

8. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Considering the way Leia bills Alderaan as having no weapons and their general portrayal as pacifists, it may be more that he was saying he'd have to have his people get on a war footing on a planetary level, and prepare for open civil war instead of a insurgency/coup that could happen quickly and quietly; during the Clone Wars, it was the Republic that fought for Alderaan, the same way it fought for thousands of other planets, and going full Rebellion is a sterner prospect than supporting a smaller political insurgency.

Look at the Mon Cala. They're all in for a war of rebellion and form the bulk of the Alliance's forces, and are also one of the most persecuted cultures in the Galaxy. And we saw how the Rebel Council seems torn between people afraid of open conflict; Bail may feel that taking Alderaan into direct Rebellion is needed.

9. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001

Makes a lot more sense to me now. I'll have to watch the deleted scenes later again. And if they really thought somehow bringing Galen in front of the Senate was going to matter -- they clearly hadn't seen these movies in order of release! Tarkin said the Senate was dissolved back in 1977 :p

But yes. I see it. Thanks to both of you.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  10. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    I can't wait for the episode of HISHE for R1 where Jimmy Smits bumps into Owen, Beru, Obi-Wan and Vader and is all like "whoa guys, whoa! why are you all so old? Me and Mon are like well y'know"

11. squir1y

squir1y Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2003
    Owen: Because we have two freaking suns, Bail! Haha

mes520 and ConservativeJedi321 like this.
  12. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    You can see of course even in ANH that Gen Tagge is surprised at the senate being dissolved so I wouldn't say its unreasonable for the Rebels who are likely less well informed than he is to not realise how far down the line the Emperors plans are.

13. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    I think Bail should have mentioned "General Kenobi" by name. "Your friend the Jedi" from Mon Mothma could also refer to Yoda, since Bail knew him equally as well as he did Obi-Wan.

Similarly, if you haven't seen ANH and watch Rogue One, you'll have no idea whatsoever who the girl in white is at the end who says "Hope." It'll seem random, especially to young kids who will say "WHO'S THAT?!" This could have been resolved if we see Leia briefly in a hologram earlier. A message from her to Bail on Yavin or something. 15 seconds, a reference to her being his daughter and being on the Blockade Runner, etc., would have set up the end of the film much much better.

14. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    So glad his meeting with Mothma at end was kept. This was a clincher for me in that it was well done and it tied the PT to the OT magnificently. Look forward to more scenes on blu-ray.

thejeditraitor and Import_Jedi like this.
  15. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Agreed. It makes a perfect ANH (or even OT) prologue. I hope that one day they'll do a stand alone movie in between ROTJ and TFA.

thejeditraitor and Import_Jedi like this.
  16. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    The way the actor looks when he first gazes upon Jyn seals it. He's an over-worked, over-worried, prematurely aged father. He taught Leia every political skill he could, and he was Father of the Rebellion. This is definitely Dark Times Bail Organa for me. We got a little of that in ROTS, since Bail was eager to help Yoda and Obi-Wan. But you can really tell that 19 years of stress are behind this man when she stands next to Mon. For Mon Mothma, that stress would come primarily during the Galactic Civil War and the lead-up to the Yuuzhan Vong War.

That's part of why I appreciate this. We see a morally ambiguous Rebellion in this film with serious leaders.

17. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001

The Battle of Jakku: A Star Wars Story :D

18. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    I prefer it the way it is--subtle references.

19. Tan-Wessel

May 31, 2001
    I think it's kind-of weird that she didn't refer to him by name, any name. She knows him; she even attended his fake funeral.

20. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    Not weird, just indirect.

21. Tan-Wessel

May 31, 2001
    If she had said "our Jedi friend" instead of "your Jedi friend" I'd give it a pass.

22. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Not a good idea to be speaking openly about the last known Jedi, especially his name. There could be Imperial spies listening. Or just Rebels with loose lips.

23. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    Yeah. And I wanna see that in VIII and IX. Imperial and New Republic spies. We already have a turncoat in Rebels.

24. CrackedKyberCrystal

CrackedKyberCrystal Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 9, 2016
    "I trust her with my life."

Thereafter we see Leia, with her father's life and the existence of her home planet hanging in the balance, first hesitate then take a huge risk by lying to Tarkin about the location of the rebel base.

Oh well......

25. Tan-Wessel

May 31, 2001

Well then it's not a good idea to be speaking openly about stealing or not stealing the plans to the Death Star in the exact same room of foot traffic. Bail's presence alone is enough intel to feed the Imperials with.

whostheBossk likes this.