1. A Warning For Everyone To See:

PT vs. OT vs. ST vs. Anthology (in any combination) debates are not allowed in the New Movies forums. Discussions that descend into OT/PT/ST/Anthology bashing/gushing will be subject to Mod action. Consider this your warning.

Official Info Jimmy Vee replacing Kenny Baker as R2-D2 in Ep VIII

Discussion in 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi & IX - Spoilers Allowed' started by Seagoat, Jan 2, 2016.

1. GunganSlayer Jedi Knight

star 3
    I'm actually somewhat surprised they didn't just credit Kenny Baler as R2 in the cast, as opposed to crediting him as "R2 consultant" as they did in the film. Although I could be mistaken, my understanding is that he didn't really have much of a role in ROTS, but he still was provided the credit? Regardless of Episode III, I would have gave him the credit for TFA.
  2. Darkspellmaster Jedi Master

star 4

It dumb thing that I think might have to do with the Actor's union and regulations on how credit does get made on films.
    Shaak Ti likes this.
  3. Shaak Ti Jedi Padawan

star 2
    don't you mean different? #DroidRights
    Last edited by Shaak Ti, Jan 5, 2016
  4. DarthBreezy Force Ghost

star 6

Mark. He's an awsome character actor.
  5. Darth Basin Jedi Master

star 5
    I'm trying not 2 sound mean but with today's tech. Can't R2 be a full robot?
  6. B99 Force Ghost

star 6
    Honestly surprised they even need someone to play R2 for some parts still.. Hm..
  7. Wrenegade Jedi Knight

star 3
    I think its mostly the rocking back and forth and such. Also tradition, I guess.
  8. GregMcP Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Two sides to it.
    The fans like to idolize the man in the suit.
    We seem to like that familiarity with the behind the scenes. Of course it doesn't matter who rattles the tin and twists the head. But you'd still like their autograph.

Secondly, from Jimmy Vee's, and his management's, perspective there's a dollar to be made from this. Appearances, interviews, work in other movies. So, it makes sense to play it up.
  9. thejeditraitor Chosen One

star 6
    Last edited by thejeditraitor, Jul 24, 2017
  10. Strongbow Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    The two-legged droids in TFA were completely robotic. The wobbling effect was achieved with motors and piston. Since R2's screen time in TFA was relatively limited, this was considered adequate. The droid team for TFA noted that the the two-legged droid did not have the same range of expression that would be required for more screen time.
  11. Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'm all for maintaining human jobs whenever possible. LFL can afford to hire an actor to play R2 (which ultimately may be cheaper than a full-on robot), so why not?