main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Jimmy Vee replacing Kenny Baker as R2-D2 in Ep VIII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Seagoat, Jan 2, 2016.

1. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    I'm actually somewhat surprised they didn't just credit Kenny Baler as R2 in the cast, as opposed to crediting him as "R2 consultant" as they did in the film. Although I could be mistaken, my understanding is that he didn't really have much of a role in ROTS, but he still was provided the credit? Regardless of Episode III, I would have gave him the credit for TFA.

2. Darkspellmaster

Darkspellmaster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015

It dumb thing that I think might have to do with the Actor's union and regulations on how credit does get made on films.

Shaak Ti likes this.
  3. Shaak Ti

Shaak Ti Jedi Master star 3

Dec 22, 2015
    don't you mean different? #DroidRights

4. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002

Mark. He's an awsome character actor.

5. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    I'm trying not 2 sound mean but with today's tech. Can't R2 be a full robot?

6. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Honestly surprised they even need someone to play R2 for some parts still.. Hm..

7. Wrenegade

Wrenegade Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2015
    I think its mostly the rocking back and forth and such. Also tradition, I guess.

8. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Two sides to it.
    The fans like to idolize the man in the suit.
    We seem to like that familiarity with the behind the scenes. Of course it doesn't matter who rattles the tin and twists the head. But you'd still like their autograph.

Secondly, from Jimmy Vee's, and his management's, perspective there's a dollar to be made from this. Appearances, interviews, work in other movies. So, it makes sense to play it up.

9. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  10. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    The two-legged droids in TFA were completely robotic. The wobbling effect was achieved with motors and piston. Since R2's screen time in TFA was relatively limited, this was considered adequate. The droid team for TFA noted that the the two-legged droid did not have the same range of expression that would be required for more screen time.

11. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    I'm all for maintaining human jobs whenever possible. LFL can afford to hire an actor to play R2 (which ultimately may be cheaper than a full-on robot), so why not?