main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST JJ Abrams directing Episode IX Discussion

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by 2Cleva, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sls062286

sls062286 Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2016
    You are 100% free to think what you want. However if you disagree with what is being talked about you are more than welcome to explain your reasons for thinking the way you do rather than just making fun of the contributions of others.

Last edited: May 31, 2018
    The Regular Mustache likes this.
  2. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Tell it! I'm not crazy about the idea of Rey being a rando but I never say, "jeez these Rey Random fans need to give it up and admit they're wrong!"

DARTH_BELO, Jedha and JoJoPenelli like this.
  3. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    I like to think that if someone says “I believe xyz theory” they don’t secretly not believe it.

4. Jim Ryalto

Jim Ryalto Jedi Grand Master star 2

Aug 21, 1998
    Apologies, it appears you have not watched The Last Jedi yet. You should go do that. It's out on video now and it's really good. Then come back here and my comment will make a lot more sense.

5. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Excellent posts as always when breaking down the actual good points of TFA. As has been discussed about before it has all kinds of fundamental problems as a set-up movie for a trilogy (far too much of which JJ pushed off to the next episode which then didn't bother to do them) but on Rey's story at least it was overall interesting and held well. What she needed was to then meet Luke and train with him.

The point that TLJ didn't give her the goods that Anakin and Luke got in AOTC and TESB (and that she got in TFA but not in TLJ and certainly will in IX from JJ) is a key point. She needed Luke and something to do that followed on from where she was in TFA and neither happened as far as I am concerned. I really don't think RJ had any interest in her. Only Kylo Ren and his version of Luke and Rey got the cast to the side.

I expect JJ will all but ignore TLJ's "development" of Rey which really isn't hard to do since just about nothing happened anyway.

Rodie and godisawesome like this.
  6. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    You are 100% correct that the script was written before TFA, and Daisey Ridley's interviews on the subject imply that at least by the release of the film she knew that Rey was Random and felt that the answer was clearly implied by the film....

...But I still balk at the idea that TLJ wasn't written with at least *some* element of meta-commentary on Rey's parentage, though perhaps not quite in regards to the fan commentary so much as just the simple setup from Abrams's and Kasdan's script for TFA and Star Wars and the tradition of Skywalker protagonist. For one thing, TFA clearly does have an element of mystery regarding Rey's parents, one that *may* have been overblown by the community, but one that Jihnson clearly constructed Rey's story around, since the identity of her parents clearly sits at the center of that subplot in TLJ.

It's possible that Abrams, Kasdan, and Johnson didn't see how powerfully the parentage question would dominate the inter-film period, but the former two decided to place a mystery in the background for the new trilogy's protagonist concerning her parentage, in Star Wars, and the latter built a plot point in his film in which that mystery is answered, and in a manner almost diametrically opposed to the most famous reveal in the Saga's history. And Abrams is Mr. Mystery Box, Kasdan was part of the masterminds of the Vader Reveal, and Johnsons is the guy who posted a picture on Twitter saying "Your Snoke Theory Sucks."

So the greater probability is that the throne room's anti-climax to that particular subplot most definetly included meta commentary on the subject of a Non-Skywalker Protagonist in response to a Force using heroine who's climactic scene in the last film was using the Force to see the Skywalker Saber, because everyone involved knew what that might imply to the audience.

Cave of Erised likes this.
  7. Joystick Chevron

Joystick Chevron Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2017
    It's also important to note that Last Jedi had rewrites done after the release of Force Awakens, explicitly said to be done in response to fan reactions to the film, and production was delayed for them. It was said by someone who was accurate about Rose's casting that it was to give more time to the TFA characters. Which...if they were handled even worse in the original draft, I want to know what the heck that looked like.

godisawesome likes this.
  8. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Maybe Finn went to Canto Bite twice!

9. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    KK directly stated that they knew full-well that the question of Rey’s parentage would be obsessed over after TFA. It wasn’t an accident. It wasn’t made up or overblown by fans.

Daisy said she was told Rey’s parentage during filming, I believe.

Personally, I think she was told because the reveal was originally at the end of TFA. In which case she’d have to know. And Mark. And John Williams

Someone noted that JW’s “concert version” of “Jedi Steps” - not included in the TFA soundtrack, despite concert versions usually being included in the soundtracks. It’s longer - Jedi Steps + a piece of “Torn Apart” + more music. While the one used in the movie forgoes “Torn Apart” + the more music and switches to the Force theme. (“Torn Apart” is the track of the Kylo+Han scene. As if JW was drawing some sort of parallel.)

The tracks are identical up to when Rey sees Luke on the cliff.

My friend also notes that other concert versions are variations on a single theme or swtch between theme variations. The “Jedi Steps” concert version is different.

Another interesting tidbit - a photo from the shooting showing Mark has a boom mic in the foreground.

10. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    Fanthatracks - Exclusive: Episode IX gets a new working title

http://www.fanthatracks.com/news/film-music-tv/exclusive-episode-ix-gets-a-new-working-title/

[​IMG]

That's pretty on the nose. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wikipedia: "Trixie is a generally derogatory slang term referring to a young urban white woman, typically single and in her late 20s or early 30s."

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  11. sls062286

May 10, 2016
    It's a great and powerful working title (points to anyone who gets that reference).

12. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    How JJ handles IX depends on how passionate he was about the ideas he had for TFA-used or not. He has every opportunity to do his own thing, revisiting ideas that may seemed to have been "snuffed" in TLJ. The KOR was his creation so he can use them to his glory. If Rey were to be related, he has every right to make it happen. If he had a rich background for Snoke, he can retell that in a flashback very easily (look at the absolute BEAUTY of the Snape flashback sequence in Harry 8). If he wanted more from Luke, he will get more from Luke. The only issue that he may not easily be able to handle is Leia but he'll find a way.

As for Rey's parents, there's no better way to surprise people than to change what already seemed to be a cut and dry answer. That way another answer is a surprise.

13. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    He already suggested (imo) that he’ll be continuing story ideas from TFA :)

And well....we know that answer isn’t cut-and-dried ;) RJ, PH, and Daisy all cast doubt on it. So we’ll definitely get some resolution in 9.

14. MagnarTheGreat

Jul 21, 2016

15. sls062286

May 10, 2016
    I was thinking of:

Seagoat likes this.
  16. MagnarTheGreat

Jul 21, 2016
  17. Jedha

Jedha Jedi Master star 3

Jan 23, 2017
    I will go with this is a direct reference to JJ's love of magic. He now as to pull the ultimate magic trick lol .... He has to wrap it all up in EP9

[​IMG]

18. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    What is the point of being always this hipersensitive and offended? I keep reading you the same tipe of post time after time. I am not a mod by any means by I can't see what is constructive about this attitude.

19. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    I don’t think the working title is necessarily indicative of anything related to the story. TLJ was “Space Bear” and TFA was “Foodles”.

20. MagnarTheGreat

Jul 21, 2016
    https://www.starwars.com/news/director-j-j-abrams-and-his-lifelong-appreciation-of-star-wars

Episode VII was codenamed Avco.

http://comicbook.com/starwars/2018/01/12/star-wars-the-last-jedi-lucasfilm-story-group-space-bear/

Episode VIII was codenamed Space Bear.

See also:
    http://www.newsweek.com/star-wars-ix-working-title-black-diamond-955489

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    yanote likes this.
  21. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Absolutely nothing happened with Rey's character in TLJ that JJ has to rewrite or retcon. She's in the exact same place at the end of TLJ that she was at the end of TFA. She's explored her Jedi powers, used her power to help the resistance in some way, let go of her need to have her parents back, and she's optimistic about the future of the galaxy and the resistance. All things the were true about her at the end of TFA. It's a total reset. JJ can continue apace, we just have 1 movie to cram all her character development in than 2 now.

The one thing JJ may want to "retcon" is to bring Luke back physically, or at least as a very powerful force ghost, and the Yoda scene was a good set up for that possibility.

The corner Johnson has painted JJ into is what to do on the villain side of things. With Snoke gone, does Kylo still waffle and show signs of returning to the light or doing away with the FO altogether? If JJ does that, then we have a movie without an ultimate/evil villain to drive things...Or does Kylo become more and more evil but have no chance of redemption? Will JJ relent to the idea that the final living Skywalker should remain evil and never be redeemed? Can the Skywalker Saga end that way? Neither option is ideal.

I think that's why the code name for Episode 9 is "Black Diamond," because it's the hardest one to make, to find where the villain/hero tension is that's not just a repeat of 7 and 8. Because so far the characters haven't changed since then.

Johnson had the chance to change the characters, to have Rey and Kylo team up at the end of TLJ as a cliffhanger, but he threw that away.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    MasterPrince713 and Qui-Riv-Brid like this.
  22. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    This. I highly doubt he'll consider fans' reactions to TLJ at all when it comes to the story for IX, but rather his own preferences of where the ST should go. And honestly I'm somewhat encouraged by that, since I was very on board with where he was seemingly going with TFA. It's entirely possible he hasn't let go of some of those original ideas, and very well might find a way to incorporate them even at this point.

23. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    I disagree that she had no growth in TLJ. She finishes TFA and TLJ still looking for someone to basically lay it out for her in terms of how she fits into this big galaxy what is required of her. She looked to Han and now looking to Luke.

Post cave and throne room scenes she makes the emotional development to become independent and forge her own path. It’s encapsulated when she introduces herself to Poe. She’s not Luke’s daughter, not some distant relation to Kenobi she simply stated “I’m Rey”. There’s a good video in the TLJ thread providing an in-depth breakdown of her growth in the movie.

As for whether it was as big as Luke’s or Anakin’s I didn’t realize it was a competition. In saying that I really feel that Anakin’s development is undercooked overall. I love his character but the writing is all over the shop.

More time could’ve been devoted to Rey’s Force awakening potentially but that’s not the root of her growth, similarly to Luke who had half an hour with remotes on the Falcon and a couple of days with yoda “lifting rocks”.

To use a Doctor Who it’s timey-whimey. Training montages are boring and not the cinematic focus of the characters growth for Rey and Luke.

24. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    Agree...Rey at the end of TLJ was not Rey at the beginning of the movie. Looking for a mentor, a fatherly figure -luke or han- a family, another lost soul -Ben-. The Rey we see aboard the falcon at the end is an independant young woman. She's Rey. She makes her own destiny.

It seems to me that all complaints are refering to past trilogies, as if Rey had to be another Luke or another Anakin when they're quite different characters who only sharr that " choosen one" theme.

Luke: a bored, reckless, slightly whiny late-teen farmer who dreams of space adcentures and action...he'll have to learn patience, maturity and resist to his own inner demons to become a true Jedi and confront his father.

Anakin: a gifted slave-child who was told again again that he was the saviour but never got past the loss of his mother -twice- and the weight of his own "hubrys" and went from innocent child to spoiled arrogant teen to Sith lord.

Rey: a young scavenger who spent her life surviving on her own on a tough world. Her only hope in life is to be united with her family again. She'll have to answer to calling of the Force (TFA) and go beyond defining herself only through family/relatijon (han, luke, ben) to be just herself and embrace her potential (TLJ)

25. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Rey's literally sitting hand in hand with Leia and surrounded by other Rebels at the end of TLJ. Leia has to tell her "we have everything we need," just as a mentor/mother would. Mentors and friends/family are still important to her at the end of TLJ. Which was the same at the end of TFA. She's not someone who thinks she doesn't need a mentor or friends and family.

Darth Smurf likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.