main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST JJ Abrams/Lawrence Kasdan as Writers

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by EmperorAjay, Oct 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EmperorAjay

EmperorAjay Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 1, 2014
    Why are they only writing this film in the main trilogy and Rian Johnson gets to write the next two? His major sci-fi writing credit is 'Looper' which I was VERY disappointed by. I know critics like it, but most critics also liked 'Gravity' which while it looked neat and Sandra Bullock is hott also was pretty boring IMO. It's cool how they make JGL look like BW, but besides for that the story is very weird and very boring. I don't trust that he has the ability to craft an epic Part 2 and Part 3. Abrams has a good track record with Sci-Fi and Kasdan obviously co-wrote TESB and ROTJ, so the shift in writing past TFA is disconcerting.

2. Good Blaster

Good Blaster Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 18, 2015
    Before we get into the writing aspect I just want to say I loved Looper. A great grounded sci-fi movie with good characters and a good story(that's hard to come by these days). I'm very excited to see what Rian Johnson can do with the SW universe. Is Kasdan not co-writing it with him? I was under the impression he was.

Hogarth Wrightson likes this.
  3. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    We don't know for sure if Rian Johnson will end up writing Episode 9. At first, way back when his name was first mentioned, it was said that he may end writing and directing Episode 9. That no longer seems to be the case, as the Episode 9 director's chair has gone to somebody else.

As for Looper, I didn’t think it was a bad film, per se. I was, however, definitely expecting more from it than what was delivered. However, I think a lot of that may have been down to too much hype than anything else. Hype which I (wrongly) bought into.

4. EmperorAjay

EmperorAjay Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 1, 2014
    Looper has 93% on rotten tomatoes... yeah, sorry.... I didn't like it at all. Sometimes critics hate movies I find enjoyable too though. For instance most would dislike something like 'Heavyweights', when they're missing the point. It's supposed to be a fun, silly film.

Anyway, no, Kasdan is slated to co-write the Han Solo movie. So far ONLY Rian is credited with writing Episode VIII and writing a treatment for Episode IX

5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    EmperorAjay - You seem to have some sort of quota to meet with making new threads instead of joining existing discussions. Congrats. Your quota has been met. Add to existing discussions, rather than starting them over every time you have a thought on a subject. A lot of creative people have put work into starting the topics you keep repeating. Pump the brakes a bit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.