main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST JJ Abrams Legacy so far and TFA

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Leoluca Randisi, Mar 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Fascinating.

2. IronMant

IronMant Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    Be a little more condescending please.

3. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Just for fun, let's take a look at your last five posts before this exchange. This might explain why I may not have actually been fascinated by your post.

You're a relentless troll and an incessant basher. Plain and simple.

4. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Play nice in here, or you're all going into the sarlacc.

5. IronMant

IronMant Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    Oh yes. Such a wide variety of troll posts, those. I guess anyone you disagree with is a troll.

6. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
  7. OBIWAN-JR

OBIWAN-JR Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 25, 2002

My apologies, I was replying to your insistence that this was something that was exclusive to TFA and which did not appear in the OT—you did not specify ANH in your initial post/comment.

With regard to TESB, I did not mention Han—I only specified Luke and Vader. And whilst you can claim that "the case for what that means is fuzzier", I would challenge that, as it is very clear to me, regarding both Luke and Vader's lack of understanding of who they potentially are inside.

I would go as far as saying that it is actually more nuanced, given the fact that at the midpoint in the film they are both 'unmasked', hinting at their vulnerabilities.

-JR :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Dan2626

Dan2626 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 14, 2015
    Pablo's own twitter account says on it, "Do not cite tweets as canon"

There is nothing in the movie, the novel or any officially published canon material that indicates the planet has an engine and can just fly around the galaxy. Nothing.

That's the problem with JJ's legacy, for mine. The lack of thought and lack of common-sense, and general laziness of the story-writing is what will be the true legacy of the film. SKB is the poster boy for that lack of thought. Anyway, it seems we can't discuss the legacy, and also be critical at the same time, for some strange reason so I best be outta here.

9. Knights of Ben

Knights of Ben Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 30, 2016
    And nothing in the official material says that it can't relocate either - it isn't included in the film because it isn't particularly relevant to how SKB functions in TFA itself, and the material so far released reflects this. At the point at which SK Base may need to "relocate", it's destroyed. The rest is just your own unfounded assumption. However I think you've already had your say on this, so yeah, might be best to move on.

Edit: Just to clarify, I'm aware that Pablo's Twitter account says "don't cite as canon", but nevertheless, the idea that SK base can move comes from one of the lead voices of the Lucasfilm story group, whose job involves creating and maintaining said new canon. So it's not insignificant.

10. JediKnightYJK

JediKnightYJK Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 17, 2016
    You should really apologize for that quote... Really it was a huge offensive word to say

Ezon Pin likes this.
  11. Skillzwalker

Skillzwalker Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2015

Exactly my feelings and said perfectly in less words that i could hope to achieve. It was a fantastic movie that reignited what was great about Star Wars when it was released in '77 and chief among many great components was how well it introduced the new characters.

12. Skillzwalker

Skillzwalker Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2015

Do not remember any explanation of how the Death Star in ANH traveled either.

13. AmySolo

AmySolo Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 12, 2016
    Wait, are we trying to cite science as a reason it won't be remembered? As if ANY of the previous SW are completely without science issues. o_O

14. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    It's another universe. Go crazy!

Chancellor Yoda and AmySolo like this.
  15. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    I think you need a hug.

AmySolo likes this.
  16. Dagobah Dragonsnake

Dagobah Dragonsnake Jedi Master star 4

Feb 7, 2016
    Steven Spielberg, James Cameron, Ron Howard, Clint Eastwood, George Lucas, Ridley Scott, Robert Zemeckis, Chris Columbus, Peter Jackson and several others all seemed to think that their success was gauged by public reception. Citing TFA's public reception is quite valid of the job done. Sure it was Star Wars. But the wild success it had at the boxoffice far exceeds just we rabid Star Wars fans.

17. Darth Derringer

Darth Derringer Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 9, 1999
    Using actual facts to counter the TFA Naysayers, Dagobah? To paraphrase Han Solo, "That's not how discussions here work!!!" :D

18. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    The reason Pablo's Twitter says not to use tweets as canon is, I suspect, not because he wants anything he states about the galaxy during the ST to be disregarded, but because he knows that until things are crystallised on screen, they can be rewritten. These aren't actual messages from another galaxy, there are writers involved who may want to rework something.

So his tweets such as the one about Starkiller base are intended to illuminate, but without forcing writers into a corner or giving fans legitimate complaints if their explanation is later superseded.

So if Pablo says SKB can move, for example, then to all intents and purposes, when discussing Star Wars we can say "well, the official line on that is that it does", but what we can't say is "yes, in canon it moves from X to Y, by utilising N method"

Knights of Ben likes this.
  19. Knights of Ben

Jan 30, 2016
    I will also add that whilst no one should merely point to either TFA's critical or BO success/popularity as a means of shutting down debate, or indeed a particular argument, it is worth pointing out that it has excelled in every criteria by which we popularly gauge both "quality" and "success".

So critical score, BO reception and audience reception has been high/very high. Really the only other thing you might want to mention in this regard is maybe awards, and in particular winning an Oscar, but even then it had more nominations than any other Star Wars film excepting ANH. And genre films tend not to win Oscars so much, certainly not the "big 5".

It was also nominated for a Screenwriter's Choice Award.

And if you look at critical reception alone, it's up there with (and in some cases exceeds) genre films like Spiderman, Spiderman 2 (Raimi ones) The Dark Knight, The Fellowship of the Ring, Creed more recently, etc. Among SW films it's pretty much up there with ANH and ESB.

And, although films can often have a "backlash" (certainly big films), or some reassessment among critics after the fact, I think it's fair to say that none of the films mentioned above have had what we could call a critical turnaround. Not even close. If there really is a critical turnaround with TFA, (which are not always easy to gauge) as far as I can tell, it'll be the first film of its type (I.e genre film at that level of praise) ever to suffer one.

And finally the "Michael Bay" movies of the world may have varying degrees of success with both BO and audience reception, but they're pretty much vilified critically speaking.

20. Dagobah Dragonsnake

Dagobah Dragonsnake Jedi Master star 4

Feb 7, 2016
    This is completely valid, and I fully support this. I personally did not include critical acclaim because I also specifically left out Bay. I left out Nolan, so the waters were not muddied (though some would argue that Nolan should be included since he also has had critical acclaim).

21. Knights of Ben

Jan 30, 2016
    Yeah my mentioning of Michael Bay and Bay type movies was in reference to previous comments by other posters who have attempted to draw parallels in quality between TFA and Bay movies. Somewhat unsuccessfully.

Nate787 likes this.
  22. OBIWAN-JR

OBIWAN-JR Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 25, 2002

You didn't need it for two very good reasons:

1. You saw it moving in the film
    2. It did not need to swallow a sun to power up its guns, thereby facilitating a requirement to move systems every time it did so

-JR :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    We know the SK consumes a sun every time it fires. It doesn't take much thought to realize it would have to move from system to system to recharge the weapon.

Dagobah Dragonsnake likes this.
  24. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Do we? I'm not sure that's adequately portrayed in the film.

25. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    We see a star being drained until it actually stops emitting any light. Not sure what more you need.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.