main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph JJ Abrams' Star Trek Into Darkness

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ulkesh2, Sep 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    They certainly don't spend a lot of time on it.

2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    How so?

This doesn't make sense. If there is something important that needs to be addressed, then it is usually addressed or set up for a later film. Neither happens with Khan. The next film with Khan could cast Antonio Bandaras in the part, thus bringing back the Latino ethnicity and it wouldn't be explained in the film how he went from being light skinned to a darker skin.

Sure there is. But okay, let's say he was right and there was a reason to tell this story. That doesn't mean it has to be told. It serves no purpose and will be ignored in the next film, especially if as I said, the director casts someone of a different background from Cumberbatch. All the comic does is appeal to the fanboy community.

Sure it is. They're in the same basic continuity, its just changed from when it took place and how the Enterprise crew met Khan. Physical appearance doesn't change the story.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Paramount fixing the multi-retailer BD release debacle.

Will include all the extra features from the various releases (including the iTunes commentary track), the IMAX version of the film as well as new deleted scenes and there will apparently be a rebate for people who got screwed by buying one of the prior editions.

Only downside is it comes with ST11 also- so if you already have that it's not a perfect solution, though seeing as I only have the DVD version...

Juliet316 likes this.
  4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    http://io9.com/damon-lindelof-admits-keeping-khans-identity-a-secret-i-1745496131

Bwahahahahaha...

At least neither he nor Orci are writing the next one...

EDIT: Which, I suppose, brings up an interesting point since both of them are capable of great writing. Lindelof is doing gangbusters on The Leftovers (the season premiere for S2 alone would be worthy of study)... why they fail so often at big budget films...

5. Juliet316

Juliet316 37X Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    And Orci is executive producing CBS' Limitless.

6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Well, writing vs. EPing is totally different. I've made the point before, but I think everything those guys EP is insanely successful -- they clearly know what entertains people, and their TV writing is often top-notch... just their film writing is often terrible...

7. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I want an interview where it's just the interviewer pointing out STID's flaws (see: everything) and Lindelof apologizing for them.

Abadacus, Sarge, dp4m and 1 other person like this.
  8. Hogarth Wrightson

Hogarth Wrightson Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 2, 2015
  9. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    There was nothing in that that makes me want to pay to watch the whole thing.

Sarge, The2ndQuest and Darth Guy like this.
  10. Hogarth Wrightson

Hogarth Wrightson Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 2, 2015
    Do you dislike aliens and spaceships and snappy one-liners (oh my)? It looks pretty neat-o to me, and I don't even like the Beastie Boys. Much.

11. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Yes, I dislike those things. That's why I'm on a Star Wars message board.

Hogarth Wrightson likes this.
  12. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Awful. They still haven't explained what god needs with a starship. I've waited 7 movies. This is worse than Twin Peaks.

13. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003

Didn't do anything for me. To me it's one of those, "To early to tell" trailers. At this point it actually looks less like a Star Trek movie than Into Darkness was. Almost looks like a mix of Farscape and Guardians of the Galaxy. I'm a casual Star Trek fan in that I have about the same exposure to ST as anyone of my gen. That being the movies and probably sitting in front of a TV when somebody else was in control of the remote and had ST on. Even I, and I said the same thing about Into Darkness, feel that this isn't enough Star Trek. Again this is a first trailer showing off the Fast and Furious action thrills.

14. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Locking this for a while so we don't have two active threads talking about Beastie Boys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.