main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph JJ Abrams' Star Trek Into Darkness

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ulkesh2, Sep 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nagai

Nagai Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2010
    yeah but Nero could had been anything, the fact that he was a romulan was not a big draw anyway.

2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    That doesn't mean Abrams and co. are going to pluck a highly complex villain from the second most-popular spinoff series.

3. Nagai

Nagai Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2010
    I does not mean that it cannot happen either.

I bet Q will be the villain.

On 4 January, Variety announced Benedict Cumberbatch would be playing the villain. [10]

Benedict Cumberbatch has the right manners to play Q.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Untitled_Star_Trek_sequel

4. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
  5. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    YES! Seeing it makes it all the more real. Benedict Cumberbatch combining with New Trek makes me so immensely happy. (And yes, Evan, I know by the time this film comes out you're probably going to have murdered me for going on about how awesome he is :p)

As far as who he should be playing... it really depends on whether Abrams cares if it's an established character, if the general non-Trekker viewers are familiar with him, etc. I can say I'm a pretty good benchmark for the general audience, though. I'm a huge nerd but I'm only familiar with the most prominent elements of Trek. So obviously I knew who all the characters were in the last film. I was also vaguely familiar with the Romulans. I'm somewhat familiar with Q. But in honesty, I think that it doesn't really matter what era the villain is from or whether he's an established character or not. It just matters that we care within the film itself, that it's explained and compelling. Because as many Trekkers as there are, honestly, the majority of viewers are like me and probably won't know one way or the other.

-sj loves kevin spacey

6. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Would Q be affected by the alternate reality and look different?

7. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    This. It looks great. And I'm so glad he's not caked in make-up. He's too good an actor to be hidden underneath latex.

8. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I may not know that much about Star Trek races, but I do know there's latex aplenty. It's definitely better this way.

-sj loves kevin spacey

9. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    If he's a good enough actor, latex hardly matters. Hasn't been a problem for Zach Quinto, although he's not made up that much.

10. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Cumberbatch is wearing part of a Starfleet uniform, so either he disguises himself at one point or is a rogue officer. This seems to point to an original villain. Thank God. :p

I don't know if he'd be affected (I'd guess not), but he can look any way he pleases.

11. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    Not that it matters but weren't there a number of Q out there??

12. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    A lot of them, yeah. I was just saying that the one individual Q we know best doesn't have to look like John de Lancie. :p

13. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    I don't really understand the argument that someone can be "too good" to wear prosthetic makeup. Cardassian makeup isn't really all that obstructive and I don't think Cumberbatch would be hindered by it. I guess I can see why it's frustrating in situations like Tom Hardy in the upcoming Batman movie, but then again, you'd need a good actor to get through that ridiculous mask.

I'm a bit disappointed he's not a Cardassian, but also pretty excited if it's true that the villain is a Starfleet officer.

In other news, Lindelof is being a bit of an asshat about all the free publicity he's getting today:

Damon Lindelof @DamonLindelof

The weird thing about that Trek photo is we weren't even shooting. Quinto just really hates Cumberbatch. #IHateLeaks

14. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Fair enough... but what about the argument that someone can be "too handsome" to want to put them in prosthetic makeup? Can I make that argument here?

-sj loves kevin spacey

15. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    THAT is an argument I can get behind. :p

16. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Not necessarily. He might be playing Kirk's friend Gary Mitchell, who's encounter with the galactic barrier (in the TOS episode Where No Man Has Gone Before) led to him developing godlike mental powers and trying to rule the universe.

17. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I don't get it. It's not as if it's a leak that's spoiled anything. If anything this has just confused people about who Benedict will play even more. And given it looks like this scene is being shot on green screen then it just raises the question, why wasn't this being filmed on a closed set if they are so worried about set photos?

18. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I admit, of all the Trek series my knowledge of TOS is the most limited, though I have seen "Where No Man Has Gone Before." I just forgot. :(

19. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I mean, good God, if he's going to be stuck behind a CGI dragon in The Hobbit they can at least give us this one.

-sj loves kevin spacey

20. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009

You might get lucky with The Hobbit. Peter Jackson might give Benedict a live action cameo like Serkis had in King Kong. :p

21. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    I think we can rule him out, since he's been used in IDW's new Star Trek comic series set in the movie universe. The writers of the movie have worked closely with the comic creators on it so there aren't any continuity conflicts with that and the film.

22. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Well here are some set photos from filming including the new bad guy. Don't know who he is though. Any ideas?
    http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-talk/first-set-photos-star-trek-sequel-222928738.html

Though if he can fight Spock hand to hand he must be either abnormally strong or very skilled. I'm guessing either Khan, or maybe Gary Mitchell.

23. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I enjoyed ST at least somewhat all the way through Enterprise (barely). I saw 2009 for Leonard because my Dad offered to take me. I wasn't impressed. I'm not fond of Klingons in general but I did like Kang somewhat and Gorkon, Chang, and Martok which all proved to have intelligence mixed with the thrill for battle. Very rare. I could see Liam doing something akin with Kang. If his casting is true I may watch for him, I like to *like* a Liam char again and in ST? *Awesome*.

Otherwise, I think I'm done with New Trek the spirit Gene gave it is just gone. :(

24. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    ^Ah, I wasn't aware of that. Maybe he is a new character then.

25. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    Gary Mitchell was my first thought as well. I actually think that would be pretty cool. Where No Man Has Gone Before is one of my favorite episodes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.