Amph JJ Abrams' Star Trek Into Darkness

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ulkesh2, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Rogue_Ten Chosen One

star 7
    seriously tho at least 50 percent of star trek movies have been utter and complete ****. this has been scientifically proven by red letter media

[IMG]
    Last edited by Rogue_Ten, Sep 13, 2012
    _Catherine_ and GenAntilles like this.
  2. Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost

star 4
    Red Letter Media is a chump.

Anyway, it seems like "Star Trek Into Darkness" could use the following tag line: "In Search of the Lost Lense Flares"
    Darth_Invidious likes this.
  3. Koohii Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    RLM is brilliant in his dissection, and in making fun of the sort of people (like rabid fans) who would bother to be annoyed by the flaws he points out.
    _Catherine_ and Rogue_Ten like this.
  4. Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost

star 4
    Can't believe I'm saying this, but I kind of agree with Koohii. I liked the first Abrams Star Trek, but I would have been perfectly happy if Orci and Kurtzman were replaced.
  5. soitscometothis Force Ghost

star 5
    I thought in the Trek reboot they managed to get a group of actors (and characters) that at least seemed to have chemistry together, and that helped gloss over shortcomings in the plot.
  6. solojones Chosen One

star 9
  7. Mika-El-Hakim Jedi Padawan

Hopefully this will have more depth.
  8. Darth_Invidious Chosen One

star 5
    Color me impressed. :rolleyes:
    Juliet316 likes this.
  9. Arawn_Fenn Chosen One

star 7
    STXI. Revived a franchise that was dead in the water. Best opening sequence in the film series. Financial success.

But splosions and lights, so... disaster? NO MORE SPLOSIONS HOLLYWOOD!
  10. dp4m Chosen One

star 9
    II and VI were markedly better than XI in the opening sequences.

Also, comparatively, Trek XI made far less money back for the investment than many of the previous (TOS) films did. Now, I really like what they're trying with the NuTrek stuff -- but let's not pretend that it wasn't horrific plotting with the Next Gen films that did it in, rather than anything else.

Financial examples: TWOK made back 9x its investment. TVH made back 6x. NuTrek was approximately 2x the budget (even TFF made more, as a horrifying comparison). A great lesson is that TWOK cost 1/4th of the budget of TMP and tripled the return on investment. And that's because the story was, y'know, impressively awesome.

All those figures are without marketing costs (which would drive return on investment down, especially for Trek XI).

So, let's see where they go with #2... do they learn the lesson of TWOK (and, hopefully, not literally) or do they go the Insurrection route...
  11. Arawn_Fenn Chosen One

star 7
    I don't think so.
  12. dp4m Chosen One

star 9
    Clearly, but you presented it as a fait accompli thus I post. ;) (personally I'd put it third -- it's still really good!)
  13. Arawn_Fenn Chosen One

star 7
    Show Spoiler
    [IMG]
    Last edited by Arawn_Fenn, Sep 16, 2012
  14. dp4m Chosen One

star 9
    Yeah, we'll totally see if that's true as well. One of my big fears though (especially given Orci/Kurtzman and how charismatic Pine is) is if they DO do Khan... is making "Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!" into a punchline.
  15. Mika-El-Hakim Jedi Padawan

People could not download stuff for free back in the day so we really cannot make a good analysis.
  16. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    Yeah that's part of the problem. I also wonder what marketing/toy/etc. tie ins Paramount might have made money on this time that they didn't before. In any case, it's the pattern of big genre movie series now to make a lot more money their second time out, and often even more as it goes on. Look at Pirates, Iron Man, Batman... I'm guessing they are still seeing XI as a huge investment that they hope will pay out much more in the future.
  17. DarthLowBudget Force Ghost

star 5
    In breaking news, Star Trek Into Darkness's synopsis is almost as poorly written as its title:

Woof.
  18. Lord Vivec Chosen One

star 7
    Looks about as normally cliche as most.
  19. Jabba-wocky Chosen One

star 8
    Wait, what? All of society is collapsing and they leave to go on another mission (for which they explicitly don't have back up) as if everything is okay? Also, even more offensively so than the title itself, the phrase "action thriller that takes Star Trek Into Darkness" is just irreconcilably grammatically incorrect.
  20. DarthLowBudget Force Ghost

star 5

Well the plot description isn't exactly what I'm talking about....

I mean, how do you even detonate what something stands for?
    Last edited by DarthLowBudget, Nov 26, 2012
    Darth_Invidious likes this.
  21. GenAntilles Force Ghost

star 4
    Did someone set us up the bomb too?
  22. Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost

star 4
  23. timmoishere Force Ghost

star 6
    Only three of the Trek movies can be considered "bad": TMP, TFF and Insurrection. Nemesis, Generations and The Search For Spock are decent. The others are awesome. /thread
  24. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    It's 99% certain by now. Maybe I should actually rewatch that TOS episode...
  25. AaylaSecurOWNED Force Ghost

star 6
    Of all people to have a problem understanding metaphor