main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph JJ Abrams' Star Trek Into Darkness

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ulkesh2, Sep 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Oh, I have no problem understanding metaphor, I have a problem understanding how a PR firm let something slip out that uses the word "detonate" ambiguously in both the literal and (eye-rollingly terrible) metaphorical senses in the same sentence. It's just sloppy, sloppy bad writing.

EDIT: And "detonate" is such a bad word choice to describe the destruction of the fleet. For instance, why not just use the word "destroy"? It reeks of using a thesaurus to make the synopsis "flashier."

2. JMaster Luke

JMaster Luke Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    Man i wish the last Star Trek movie would of put in that Kirk (William Shatner) scene they were talking about. That would of been the perfect ending.

3. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    *does not read synopsis*

I don't understand why they don't just put a colon in the title and make it much better.

4. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    Okay, that's fair enough. As for the first objection, I'm not aware of any writing rule that says you aren't 'allowed' to use a word in both a literal and metaphorical sense in the same sentence. I don't have a problem with that.

5. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Lowbud seems to be on a crusade against this movie, picking out every little thing that could possibly be perceived as a flaw. It's the frelling synopsis, not the screenplay. Whether or not bad metaphors are used in a synopsis literally have ZERO EFFECT on the actual movie.

6. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah, PR departments don't write the movie.

7. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm far more worried about the triumvirate of Orci, Kurtzman, and Lindelof.

DarthLowBudget likes this.
  8. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    <-------- My reaction after reading this "synopsis".

9. DarthLowBudget

Jan 17, 2004
    I forget the name for what the rule is, but its a kind of figure of speech that causes unwanted ambiguity because you have a literal and metaphorical meaning applying exclusively to two different things within the same sentence. It's just kind of crummy writing in a way, and it's a little unbalanced, because the literal part only applies to the first clause, and the metaphor only applies to the second clause, but the coordinating conjunction makes it want to apply in one way to both of them equally.

Lord Vivec: I'm not on a crusade against the film. I hope that it will be good. I want it to be good. In some way maybe I need it to be good, but I just have such huge reservations about Orci, Kurtzman, and Lindelof (and maybe a bit towards Abrams too) that I'm worried and, yes, skeptical about the quality. The title itself gives me problems for reasons I've covered at length before and which adds to that worry.

The synopsis I just wanted to rib because it was so poorly written I couldn't believe, and I don't take it as a reflection on the movie, even though I am so, so, SO done with Abram's mystery box approach that it drives me up a wall. What is the point in keeping a villain secret in a Star Trek movie? These are not puzzle movies. Sometimes it's just good marketing to let us know who the crew is up against.

10. Darthkat76

Darthkat76 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Maybe the new Star Trek movies reversed the odd/even curse. :p

11. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Sounds ok so far, what is all the hate for? Oh, internet. Yeah.

Merlin_Ambrosius69 likes this.
  12. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    [quote="DarthLowBudget]
    The synopsis I just wanted to rib because it was so poorly written I couldn't believe, and I don't take it as a reflection on the movie, even though I am so, so, SO done with Abram's mystery box approach that it drives me up a wall. What is the point in keeping a villain secret in a Star Trek movie? These are not puzzle movies. Sometimes it's just good marketing to let us know who the crew is up against.[/quote]

Meh, I highly appreciate anyone who holds back info. It makes my job of avoiding spoilers a lot easier. I am so sick of movies these days being tainted by what you know going in. I knew absolutely nothing about the last film going in and it made it that much better. Hence why I'm not even reading that synopsis.

I'm probably going to see the first 9 minutes and will probably watch the trailer.... but yeah, I most likely won't be reading this thread much more when the spoilers are going to start flying. I love that Abrams at least attempts to limit that.

Why would it influence anything to know who they are against? You're going to see it anyway.

13. DarthLowBudget

Jan 17, 2004
    I guess I'm just not a spoilerphobe, but then again, is the villain of a film really a spoiler?

Darth Guy likes this.
  14. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    An "unstoppable force of terror from within their own organization", eh? [face_whistling]

15. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    No but is it something you need to know if you're already going to see it? Isn't that probably going to be explained within the film by the filmmakers?

16. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Maybe the PR department couldn't bring themselves to write: "When the crew of the Enterprise is called back home, they find an unstoppable force of terror from within their own organization... named Gary!!!"

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  17. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    It sounds like it might be Section 31. The IDW comic set in the movieverse had a bit where Sulu was offered to join them, or a group like them. There was also a part where Pike was warned to keep Kirk on a short leash by a secretive Federation higher-up, hinting at Section 31/Corrupt Feds shenanigans for the movie.

18. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    And Abrams more or less said during the run up to XI that everything up to the point of the beginning of the film that occured in the 'regular' trek universe was canon in the alternate movieverse. Which definitely doesn't rule out Section 31 as they were being formed at the end of Enterprise.

19. DarthLowBudget

Jan 17, 2004
    I think at this point my reaction is more to Abram's general attitude towards these things, especially because I think his overarching love of mystery doesn't always do his storytelling many favors.

20. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I have an overarching love of mystery, so I may be biased :p

21. DarthLowBudget

Jan 17, 2004
    I love a good mystery too, don't get me wrong (I've put in my Conan Doyle and Dashiel Hammet hours), but I don't think that everything benefits from being a mystery. Case in point: Vickers meaningless relationship with her father in Prometheus. Culprit: Lindelof.

22. Maxim Kammerer

Maxim Kammerer Jedi Youngling

Nov 28, 2012
    Anybody else read the reimagined Return of the Archons episode comic?[face_whistling]

23. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    While I agree that it's kind of annoying that they're keeping the identity of the villain under wraps (and have been teasing about both Khan and Gary Mitchell), for a reboot of a franchise as huge as Star Trek with as passionate of a fanbase, it's kind of a built in viral marketing campaign just to not reveal those things, and make the fans speculate and pore over old canon to try to decide who it could be and who they want it to be. I think it's dumb, but I can't really fault them for it, and in this case I don't think it would be good marketing to have said months ago "It's Gary Mitchell." I'm sure we'll find out at some point before the movie's released, but by not confirming it they've driven tons of publicity in the form of speculative articles and blog posts.

edit: TWICE I said the wrong name.

24. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Stackpole_The_Hobbit Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
  25. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Exactly. It works, so why on earth wouldn't they do that? It's worked for many of Abrams films to create interest that way (Cloverfield, Super 8).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.