main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph JJ Abrams' Star Trek Into Darkness

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ulkesh2, Sep 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Whether or not that works in reality has nothing to do with whether or not I "love" science. I'm not a starship engineer. I'm not even a normal one. Who knows whether that would work?

2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    From what we've seen of other, more advanced starships crashing

it wouldn't.

EDIT: Then again, we don't know if the Enterprise will actually survive. There were more than one in the original movies, although two films is a bit of a short tenure.

Lord Vivec and Juliet316 like this.
  4. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    wait is troy always at the helm when they crash into ****? is this some kind of subtextual commentary on women drivers?

5. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Yes, Troi was at the helm both times her ships crashed. I guess the behind-the-scenes reason is because no one wants to see some no-name helmsman react to a spectacular sequence and she's the only one who doesn't do anything on the bridge. Neither time was her fault, but I blame her anyway.

6. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    lol but you can kill the noname helmsman! drop a girder on his ass or have a screen fry him

7. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    They did! The first one got injured I think and the second got blown out into space when the front of the bridge was blown off for the few seconds before the emergency force field turned on.
    [​IMG]

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    We know the saucers were designed to survive atmospheric re-entry and landing as a lifeboat (at least the original Enterprise was supposed to- presumably that carried over to the Monsterprise design). And we see that the similarly-sized D saucer can weather the impact with solid ground somewhat well during a (mostly) uncontrolled descent (all things considered- I realize the D was not salvageable, but it was mostly intact with a crash into solid ground versus a more controlled crash into a body of water).

It really depends on a lot of things- the Monsterprise seems to be going slower than the D's crash, and it could have shields up (unlike the E in Nemesis) to help with the impact and/or keep from flooding at least some sections.

It also likely doesn't sink that far- San Fransisco Bay isn't that deep, and the coastal depths wouldn't be tremendous, so I don't think excessive pressure depths are a concern.

So, if it isn't fatally damaged in the impact, and doesn't get flooded by water* or crushed by deep water pressure, all we're left with is the capability of whatever the equivalent of atmospheric repulsorlifts are for a starship in doing so.

In reality, I assume they just wanted a visual to try and top the rising-from-the-clouds visual in the last film.

*So that's what all those bloody water tubes are for! ;)

If the ship rising out of the water is not the Enterprise, then it's quite possible that the Enterprise is still salvageable from the crash, just unable to free herself under her own power. Thus, the crash could be used as the impetus for an Enterprise upgrade/refit for the third film, so they can market a new ship design.

9. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    deeg you know too much about star trek

Darth Guy likes this.
  10. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    Before getting sucked out into the vacuum of space Troy gave him some life-changing guidance counseling.

:p

11. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    It probably is, but how do we know it's not heavily damaged (only see the nacelle) and it's rising under its own power? Another ship could be using a tractor beam or, depending on who he is, Cumberbatch could be using his superpowers.

I kind of feel like an apologist now. I feel dirty.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I agree that it probably is (and, if so, there are many ways to explain it, especially since the ncaelle we see coming out of the water is opposite the one on fire when the Enterprise crashes)- but I'm willing to acknowledge that there's a possibility it is a different ship, based on the limited evidence.

13. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    parta growing up, i suspect. i have seen our shared future, guy... and it calls itself "ender"

14. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    No, you're just the realist. I know that feeling, every time I tell VLM that his warp drive article sucks.

15. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    CGI water nevr looks "right", frankly it looks like how sand is suppose to act like in that silly clash of the titans movie.

16. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    I will be that guy when it comes to complaining about the Enterprise hitting the water. I concede that the ship might be salvageable after crashing, but the angle it comes in at would out all the pressure on the saucer section. Even if the shields absorbed a lot of the kinetic energy that's a lot of pressure on the hull of the ship. And remember spaceships generally have thinner hulls than atmospheric or water ships. I don't see how the Enterprise survives an uncontrolled fall into the water.

That being said, it sure does look badass.

17. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm really curious on what the lava planet is. Unless there's another TIME PARADOX, and they all end up on Mustafar for no good reason.

Juliet316 likes this.
  18. Jedi_Johnson

Apr 6, 2002
    Be careful you might break the internet with that statement.

19. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It was broken for a little while yesterday...

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think it's possible for the ship to get airborne or limp to a dry dock (especially w Trek having tech like tractor beans, structural integrity fields, reinforced hulls and other technobabble miracles), but it would be a stretch if the ship was space worthy.

21. Jedi_Johnson

Apr 6, 2002
    I don't see how crashing like that wouldn't "break her back" to steal a phrase from BSG. Yes I know it's a SciFi movie so anything can happen.

22. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    I'm just struggling with how the damn thing even makes it through the atmosphere. It's not ideally shaped to withstand the force of reentry, It has zero aerodynamic qualities (it was specifically designed to look like something built for space and not atmospheric travel) I doubt its repulser lifts or whatever are even designed to lift its weight against earth's gravity, and just looking at the angle of impact and imagining the kinetic energy from going into the water I can't see how it makes it with out rupturing the hull or splitting the saucer from the neck.

Even if that ship isn't the Enterprise (maybe its just part of the detonated fleet?) we do know for sure that at some point the Enterprise is under water. Which is just...I can't....

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's hard to tell the scale, but it might be a military shuttlecraft, based on this art from the first movie, there's some similarities with the higher nacelles to be found:

[​IMG]

Whatever it is in the trailer isn't as flat though.

24. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    The thing crashing into the water? That's definitely a starship.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    No, the thing rising out of the water. I agree that what crashes is clearly a starship.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.