main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph JJ Abrams' Star Trek Into Darkness

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ulkesh2, Sep 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Wil Wheaton's review. I find myself largely in agreement. Bonus points for mentioning what I think was the most mind-blowing episode of NextGen.

TrandoJedi and laurethiel1138 like this.
  2. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
  3. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    I got the soundtrack for Fathers' Day. With it having such pun-tastic song titles as Sub-Prime Directive and Warp Core Values, I'm glad that the music was outstanding. London Calling is particularly excellent.

4. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Can someone please explain who put human beings inside of missiles, and why, and who exactly knew about it? Because I don't understand this at all.

5. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I think the presumption is that Admiral Marcus did it to blackmail Khan.

6. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Okay, but why would he put them inside of a missile? Why wouldn't he just keep them locked up somewhere with an easily accessible kill switch, and make sure Khan knew he had done so? What does the missile part add to it?

7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Khan did it as it was the only way to try and smuggle his people out of imprisonment; Marcus found out about it and Khan escaped, to which Marcus then told Kirk to launch them at Khan (thereby killing all of them) and then Marcus would have killed Kirk. All loose ends eliminated.

Honestly, at least that part of the plan made sense somewhat.

Souderwan and AaylaSecurOWNED like this.
  8. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    How does that make sense? These was the most advanced weaponry in the entire Federation. Nothing would be subject to tighter regulation or have its movements more closely scrutinized. Using the real world parallel of nuclear weapons, one would expect that even neighboring regimes would be keeping tabs on the thing and have contingency plans to seize them if the government collapsed. How in the world is this universally watched target the easiest option for smuggling? Wouldn't it be better to smuggle them in something even mildly less conspicuous?

9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Eh, I'm sort of okay with that since Khan himself was super-duper smart and in charge of the design and probably had run of the facility for the most part -- otherwise Khan wouldn't have known about the Vengeance and the plans to outfit it, etc.

10. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Yes but still? Why not smuggle them out in the garbage, or in a shipment of supplies, or any of literally dozens of innocuous shipments or cargo he would have access to as a staff member at the facility?

11. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    There's no way he could've done all... 72? by himself unless for some reason Robocop was okay with the process being very slow and inefficient. Khan would've had a team working for him, and their loyalty would be to the Federation rather than to his race of supermen. And why bother to still put the warheads in? If he expected people to somehow miss the LIVING HUMANS with life support systems inside the casing of the missiles, why would they notice missing warheads?

And why would Robocop have let Khan have so much access to the cryo-pods anyway? Wasn't he supposed to be blackmailing Khan with them? Why even let Khan know where they were being stored?

12. rhinotaz

rhinotaz Jedi Knight star 2

May 31, 2013
    Please dont mind me i am just testing something off-topic.

[​IMG]

13. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    (Jay Leno voice) Did you hear about this? Did you hear about this?

Apparently, IDW is going to do a Khan comic mini-series detailing the Eugenics Wars of the 1990s. I'm glad I don't give a damn about this, because I consider Greg Cox's Eugenics Wars books to the final word on the subject, but with the recent movie, I guess IDW just had to put their stamp on it.

Right now, it's just one of those things that's best left alone until a reboot of Star Trek with a sliding timeline is put into place, so it could be set in the latter 21st/ early 22nd century.

14. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    It is not logical.

15. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    Sorry to bump this thread with a random question but I have to know...am I the only one who sees a similarity? Because I crack up every single time I see that scene as a result. And given that it's supposed to be sad...well, it kind of takes me out of the movie.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Aytee-Aytee and The2ndQuest like this.
  16. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Presumably because he was in charge of weapons design, not garbage disposal. The other Augments were probably in such a weapons facility, thus easier to get them into weapons than sneaking them out the door in a large, powered, trash can.

17. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    I don't see how that makes sense. A person in charge of weapons design should conceivably be able to control shipments of anything related to weapons. For instance disposal of radioactive or biochemical wastes. Or what about ordering shipments or fuel to use as propulsion for the missiles? Electronics and microchips that would be part of the targeting systems? There's a wide array of different items he'd need moving in and out of his facilities to run a good weapons development division. Assuming that the only thing he could legitimately move are completed weapons is ridiculous.

18. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Woah that's awesome he enjoyed it!

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, I'm assuming he didn't have free run of the facility, otherwise Marcus wouldn't have had to blackmail him with the Augments in the first place.

20. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  21. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

We call those "Star Wars fans."

22. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    At that point, I have to default to Even's remarks about. If his access is that restricted, I don't see how he ever managed to install 72 life support pods into live, functioning munitions. If he managed that, I don't see why he didn't use any more intelligent method for smuggling them to safety.

Also, though, since the main bad guy clearly knew that they were in there, why didn't he just A)stop him from installing the life support pods in the first place or B)take them out of the missiles and threaten their lives from a safe place that was under his control, after he realized what happened?

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    He didn't know they were in there until after Khan did it. He could have taken them out of them but instead chose to use them to to get rid of them, cover his tracks and start the war he wanted.

24. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Well I pissed off the fans of Lindelof on Twitter. It was great. I simply asked him what he thought of his movie(which he co-wrote, did not write entirely) being voted worst ST film? He replied with a "FEELS GREAT. thanks for asking." And then the childrens came out in force.

Nuke still has it.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    And you expected him and them to react how, exactly?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.