Official Info JJ Abrams to direct Episode VII

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Episode VII - Spoilers Allowed' started by Kuestmaster, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Palpatine2016 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Never heard any of this.
  2. Darth Claire Force Ghost

star 4
    Never heard that before. Link to source?
  3. TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Indeed.
    anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  4. BigAl6ft6 Force Ghost

star 5
    I heard that he kidnapped Ashley Eckstein's cat as well just for kicks! What a jerk!
    Last edited by BigAl6ft6, May 4, 2013
  5. Darth Claire Force Ghost

star 4
    Weird. I heard he has a bunch of enslaved Ewoks doing all his yard work. That evil maniac!
  6. Chewgumma Chosen One

star 7
    I heard he used a fleet of Klingon warbirds on loan from Paramount to force George Lucas to sell to Disney. [face_shhh]
  7. Darth Claire Force Ghost

star 4
    I heard he regularly orders Wookie fur coats and wears them in front of Han and Chewie all the time. That evil man [face_devil]
    Last edited by Darth Claire, May 4, 2013
    Krueger and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  8. Krueger Force Ghost

star 4
    [face_laugh]
  9. GGrievous Force Ghost

star 5
    "He feels that TCW would only continue to tarnish the Star Wars franchise"
    If JJ said that then maybe I was being too harsh to him. I'll be nicer. :p
    Last edited by GGrievous, May 5, 2013
  10. A Chorus of Disapproval New Films Riot Deterrent

Manager
    star 7
    I would like to volunteer to co-chair your proposed recovery group. I admit... I have a problem.
    anakinfansince1983 and GGrievous like this.
  11. Darth Claire Force Ghost

star 4
    Last edited by Darth Claire, May 8, 2013
    Darth Chiznuk and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  12. EHT New Films Manager

Manager
    star 6
    Once again, I love how the Star Wars talk is overshadowing Star Trek during what is supposed to be Trek's time in the spotlight. :p
  13. Jedsithor Force Ghost

star 4
    Having just watched Star Trek Into Darkness, I now fear for Star Wars.
  14. NoChesterHester Jedi Master

star 1
    Is it out?
  15. A Chorus of Disapproval New Films Riot Deterrent

Manager
    star 7
    It's that good, huh? I knew it would overshadow Star Wars... I just knew it!!!
    Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  16. Mange Force Ghost

star 4
    Yes, it opened in much of Europe (including the UK and Germany) as well as Australia and New Zealand today.
  17. WatTamborWoo Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Obviously it would be wrong to turn this thread into a Star Trek Into Darkness review. But it would be good to get some impressions from those who saw the film about what directorial style JJ put into his most recent film. Were there new elements, were some old ones no longer used?

It may give pointers to future SW.
  18. Jedsithor Force Ghost

star 4
    What you really want to know is - are there lens flares? :p

Yes there are. In moment in particular comes to mind, where one of the Enterprise crew makes a plea to the villain to stop what they're doing. It is supposed to be a dramatic moment...and their face is covered by a massive lens flare.

In general, the shooting style is generally more kinetic and frantic than Star Wars. A lot of dutch angles as well. In terms of the plot, I don't want to spoil anything but you're going to feel like you've seen this movie before, and you have. This is the most unoriginal, derivative film I've seen since the shot-for-shot remake of Psycho. The first Trek may have borrowed heavily from Star Wars but this one...no, it's not another Star Wars clone, it does something much worse than rip off the holy saga.
  19. EHT New Films Manager

Manager
    star 6
    Interesting...

And I have to say, I've generally held back on the lens flare jokes, but I recently watched Super 8 for the first time. So many of those scenes just did not need a bright blue line cutting sideways across the screen. :p
  20. A Chorus of Disapproval New Films Riot Deterrent

Manager
    star 7
    If Episode VII is loaded with lens flares, just do what I am going to do... assume they are actual Midichlorians floating about in the air.
  21. EHT New Films Manager

Manager
    star 6
    Or the Force making itself visible.

And no, midichlorians are NOT the Force. :p
  22. Jcuk Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I think maybe its a tad overreacting to hear someone thinks STID is crap and equate that to 'Oh **** then Star Wars is doomed!!' The writing team is totally different (we've got an Oscar winner on the team don't forget), the stories are totally different. They couldn't BE more different. And what else is he supposed to say in an interview? 'Yeah was never a Star Trek fan and I still ain't.' We know without question he's a Star Wars fan,like the rest of us. And this is the biggest gig he will ever get. I think he's going to put everything he has into making Episode VII great.

*gotta star out the whole word
    Last edited by Jedi Merkurian, May 10, 2013
  23. A Chorus of Disapproval New Films Riot Deterrent

Manager
    star 7
    Not to mention that the scrutiny pouring over his shoulder is going to be at a level he probably cannot even begin to imagine. The Producers of Star Trek approached his directing with a mentality of, "You're a hip young filmmaker with a specific style... reinvigorate our brand". Like the PT or hate the PT, the Star Wars brand wasn't in danger of not making money at the cinema. The Producers of Episode VII are going to have the mentality of "You're a hip young filmmaker with a specific style... no offense, but we have to make sure that you don't screw up our brand". I'm sure they put great faith in his talents, but this film is quite a different monster than new Trek... and not simply from a content point of view.
  24. GGrievous Force Ghost

star 5
    Trek 09 was essentially a tribute to Star Wars. :p
  25. A Chorus of Disapproval New Films Riot Deterrent

Manager
    star 7
    Yeah, it was the equivelant of a "no pressure trial run". It's almost as if he knew, so used that poor franchise as target practice.
    GGrievous likes this.