main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST JJ Abrams to direct Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kuestmaster, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    No! I'll never let go! NEVER

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  2. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    People are still complaining about Ewoks, much less Jar Jar and "Mannequin" Skywalker. Lens flare jokes still have at least a 20 year half life.

JainaSoloYJK and phatdude1138 like this.
  3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    First shot of the movie should be a tilted shaky handheld closeup of a lightsaber igniting with blinding lens flare just so he gets it out of his system.

VMeran, Pro Scoundrel and LawJedi like this.
  4. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Edit: wrong thread.

5. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    With a Budweiser logo and an actress in a bikini.

VMeran and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Anyway, interesting article to read between why we never got a JJ-verse Trek series which, when I heard about the movie way back, I assumed they would roll right into making a spin-off TV series. Basically the licensing rights for Star Trek are split between TV and movies, there were 4 novels that were flat-out written about the JJ-verse Star Trek world that have been flat-out put on the shelf, and the knotted licensing rights probably had something to do with it.

Whatever Grand Merchandising Scheme Abrams and Bad Robot had planned for Trek, it'd be much easier to pull off with everything under the Disney umbrella. Say goodbye to Jania Solo, say hello to Abrams "Character Merchandising Rights Profit Participation With Bad Robot" Solo!

Sean Sinclair likes this.
  7. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    There will be a character named Flens Lare.

FRAGWAGON, VMeran, eht13 and 2 others like this.
  8. Kev Snowmane

Kev Snowmane Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2013
    Yeah, the Trek tie-in novels were victims of the situation to be sure.

9. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    Agreed. Poor Jar-Jar gets ripped on more then the lens flares do any day. And he's not even topical anymore.

I'm also being 100% honest: I just heard someone complaining about Ewoks today, outside of TFN! LOL!! And that was 30 years ago! I find Ewoks way less annoying than lens flares.

JainaSoloYJK, FRAGWAGON and LawJedi like this.
  10. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    On a serious note: Abrams in several interviews during his Trek promotion mentioned he "wasn't ever a Star Trek fan" (I know, old news). And he also said "he made these movies for the casual movie goers, not the hard core fans".

So can we assume since he's said he's a fan of Star Wars that he "will" make it for the fans? Or will he be making SW for the casual movie goer as well?

This is a big sticking point with me (and should be with you too). If EP7 is made for the "casual movie goer", then all hope is lost.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  11. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    JJ already delayed starting work on Into Darkness by a year. And I believe he was contractually obligated to work on the film. Do you really think he could turn around to Paramount and ask for more time to do a few rewrites when 4 years have already passed since the first film?

12. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    Yeah, guess I missed the ninja space turtles and racial stereotyping in Super Eight.

Oh, right, I didn't. Abrams is a vastly better director than Bay could ever be.
    ---------

[face_laugh]

darth boba has restored my faith :D

DarthBoba likes this.
  13. Conetroooper

Conetroooper Jedi Master

Jul 19, 2006
    So reportedly, while Into Darkness is making good money for a Star Trek film (Most of the films-even the really good ones-haven't exactly been huge successes box office wise), it's not exactly doing blockbuster numbers at the box office.
    What's also interesting is that there was a dispute between CBS, Paramount, and Bad Robot over the licensing/promotion of the film and the franchise as a whole. Abrams reportedly wanted a lot of marketing for the film, but CBS wanted to focus ST's marketing on the older Trek series (Which they're converting to HD at the moment). Hence the lack of merchandise apart from the novel and Hasbro's Kreos. This is part of the reason Abrams reportedly won't be back to direct Trek III, and was free to work on Star Wars. Here's a source article for the licensing bit: http://www.thewrap.com/movies/artic...rights-killed-jj-abrams-grand-ambitions-91766.

14. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Yeah, Michael Bay and JJ Abrams shouldn't be mentioned in the same article as one another. JJ deserves better.

15. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    He is a Star Wars fan, yes- but Disney is going to want these movies to appeal to the masses In a huge way as well. unfortunately I don't believe that the movie will just be made To cater to us hard-core fans. Although I would love that, I believe that is an unrealistic expectation. as I have mentioned elsewhere in the past, such assumptions and hopes Will likely only set people up for disappointment I'm afraid...

Regardless of any of their admiration for the Star Wars We all know and remember and love, in the end they ARE all in it to make money... And they will go with the strategy that accomplishes that end the most successfully...

Whatever we would like to believe, that IS harsh, but true!!

16. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Saying the two are similar just because of quick cuts, mass destruction and shaky camera is too broad, but I can see how one could call the two similar. They have different styles and approaches to the material. J.J. Abrams seems to have a broader and more direct connection; he thinks more like a producer. He means well at what he does even if it doesn't go over well with some people, where Michael Bay just doesn't give off that sensibility. Michael Bay moves the camera a lot but it doesn't "shake", although he has (or had) a certain trademark shot in chase scenes where the camera zooms and out on someone in a cockpit or driver's seat that is obviously in a studio with lights flashing behind. Examples: the car chases in Bad Boys and The Rock, and the post-bombing dogfight in Pearl Harbor. He dollies the camera a lot and uses a lot of dutch angles that go back to his "Aaron Burr" Milk commercial. When I first saw the trailer for Bad Boys in 1995, I almost thought it was a Tony Scott film.
    I would like to know how the Star Trek Into Darkness reactions will affect Episode VII, either through how he and the rest of the creative team approach it, or how Disney and or Lucasfilm decide to handle it.
    Imagine what this could mean though. Suppose this means J.J. Abrams wants to have some control on when spoiler-containing merchandise like novelizations and soundtracks gets released, or some input on action figure packaging, or a Disney attraction tie-in. This could be a good thing.

Sean Sinclair and Darth_Arapsis like this.
  17. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    I found it kind of sad that Star Trek's thunder has been completely stolen by Star Wars because Into Darkness was actually a fairly good movie in my opinion. I almost challenge people to find a major interview of JJ Abrams in the last few days promoting Star Trek and see if half the conversation is devoted to Star Wars Episode VII "well the script's still being worked on, it's so very early."

That's just Star Trek for you. The original Star Trek movies were particularly unsuccessful at becoming blockbuster hits (nor were they intended to be, for that matter). That's why Disney bought the rights to Star Wars not Star Trek, Star Wars makes huge profit.

18. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm actually kinda surprised JJ doesn't refuse Star Wars questions for now out of respect. I guess the disagreements he had with Paramount haven't left him feeling very loyal.

19. WatTamborWoo

WatTamborWoo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 22, 2011
    He will be making it for Disney. That is the bottom line. I'm looking forward to new SW but it is also going to be new territory...

20. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    The more the phrases "casual movie goers" and "made for the fans" pop up the less sense they make.
    What, the PT was made for fans only? OT was not made for the casual movie goers?

21. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Star Wars fandom is such a small, elite gated community.

22. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    Like Facist DeathMetal Punk

23. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Star Trek Into Darkness or The Apocalypse of Stupid. Ugh, what a stinker, what a waste of time. Sure hope GL/DA have put down a strong story!! JJA has no story sense of his own at all.

LawJedi and BoromirsFan like this.
  24. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Yeah, cause he totally wrote the entire script for Into Darkness.

25. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Trek needed a makeover desperately. Would you rather have films like Insurrection and Nemesis or these new ones? Insurrection was a critical disaster and nearly destroyed the franchise, while Nemesis was a financial disaster which almost ruined the studio. Mind you, the perfect Trek film in my eyes is a combination of First Contact and Voyage Home with a little bit of the Abrams films thrown in.

stormcloud8 and Darth_Pevra like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.