main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST JJ Abrams to direct Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kuestmaster, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Evil--Yoda

Evil--Yoda Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 11, 2012
    Just nitpicking but Nemesis was more of a critical failure than Insurrection.

2. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    Star Trek 09 was serviceable because there was at least something new. But Into Darkness feels like
    a rehash of the original second film.

Why is mirroring in Star Wars so much more effective than in Star Trek?

MODified: Spoiler Tags or Spankings!

I have altered the post. Pray I don't alter it any further.

3. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Because, as much as GL changed & developed the story as he went along, he had the concept of mirroring from the beginning. SW is one big sprawling epic, ST is episodic adventure/drama. GL's foundation is so incredibly strong you can carry it over to things like comics, books & video games & it still works. That's really amazing.

4. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    For some reason we can have 20 threads about the Big 3 but start a thread with new info (Easter eggs in 7) and you get locked....

Anyway, I was reading this article about the 1981 GL interview. And saw this:

J.J. Abrams promises include a Conan O’Brien Easter Egg in Star Wars Episode VII.

Link:

http://www.slashfilm.com/tag/star-wars

What Conan Easter Egg is he talking about?

Is JJ known for Easter Eggs? I don't recall any in either Trek movie.

I think this bows well to a lot of PT and OT small nods and mentions..

5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Dearest Sir Garfield Tapioca:

We are in the process of trying to weed out the various "not the same as the other 2 dozen concepts" threads about the Big 3, the same way we are attempting to minimalize threads about very similar topics, altogether. Your thread presented very relevant info, but it is still info which falls under the covering of JJ Abrams' style as a filmmaker.

Love, Sir Product of His Mom [...] While He was Trying to Sleep

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  6. Dr. Chaos

Dr. Chaos Jedi Padawan star 1

May 19, 2013
    Looking at the Force Unleashed games, I wouldn't be surprised to see if thats the kind of approach Abrams takes to the jedi.

Giving them more of a superhero feel of sorts. If he's going to feel out the series and try to make it more exciting for more audiences like he did with Star Trek, I could see him doing something like that. He is an oldschool Star Wars fans though, might keep things pretty traditional.

I would be pretty much up for anything, myself. You give me the two vs one battle from Phantom Menace or someone dragging a star destroyer down to the pavement, I'm pretty much good to go.

7. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    Star Trek was high energy without any force at all. He can do high energy, high octane action without making the Jedi into caricatures

DARTHSHAME and Darth_Pevra like this.
  8. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I hope not. Star Wars should feel different from Marvel or DC and there's no need to amp the Jedis powerlevel. They are already very powerful as is.

9. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Starkiller-lever Jedi in the ST would be an absolute nightmare. *shudders* [face_sick]

VMeran and Darth_Pevra like this.
  10. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Don't know if anyone has seen this but it's hilarious:

LawJedi and The-Eternal-Hero like this.
  11. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Remember where we stand on lens flare jokes while replying...

12. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Sorry, I just thought it was a funny video and wasn't even thinking about the lens flares in it. My bad.

13. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Fair enough. Just keep the discussion going... elsewhere... in any replies.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  14. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    shocking news:

never seen a JJ Abrams film

so dunno what to expect from him

15. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Hell, to be perfectly blunt, EVERY one of us was a general audience member when we first went in to see Star Wars. And then we SAW Star Wars and became something more. That's why I have absolutely no issue with tailoring the ST for the general audience. Even the episode we conventionally think of as having the greatest depth, The Empire Strikes Back, was nonetheless made with the general audience in mind; its success can be attributed both to that, and to the fact that it had something of substance to say to every section OF that general audience. Whatever demographic you fit, there was probably something you could find in that film that struck you, whether spiritually, philosophically, and particularly emotionally. As long as Abrams can deliver that sensibility - and I have yet to believe he can't - we'll be fine.

16. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Speak for yourself. I was a member of the admiral audience.

Arawn_Fenn and Pfluegermeister like this.
  17. DARTHSHAME

DARTHSHAME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003
    Captain, I couldn't agree more. I just saw Into the Darkness today and enjoyed it. I thought it was well paced and told a good story. The villain was really good. I am not a Trekkie by any sense of the word, so I was approaching the movie as a casual moviegoer and was entertained. Obviously, as a Star Wars fanatic my threshold for a good movie will be higher. However, if JJ can make Episode VII as entertaining, then it is a step in the right direction.

18. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Oh really now, does that require the invocation of teal tyranny?

What's next, no puns? Buncha savages...

The third one, maybe, if you really enjoy beer commercials. The first and second? You're pretty much screwed.

19. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    It was just a reminder.

20. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    [​IMG]
    I AM THE LAW.

:p

21. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    I almost bought it, until you broke out the teal coloring. Oh, I'm sorry, is it cerulean? :p

22. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    I knew the teal would undermine all of the pic's gravitas.

Pfluegermeister likes this.
  23. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    Yup, you definitely lost the Power Ranger lottery. Nevertheless, a soothing addition to any home bathroom's design scheme.

24. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    I picked it for the lovely irony that teal is the last color they will see before the ban-screen. Behold the fury:

Let's get this back on topic...

anakinfansince1983 and eht13 like this.
  25. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    caught a bit of MI:3 last night and realised Jonathan Rhys Myers was in it , so its prob true that he's been approached to be in SW VII , just hope he doesn't do it .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.