main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST JJ Abrams to direct Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kuestmaster, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    I think people get too passionate about Star Wars.

And doesn't passion lead to the dark side?

VMeran likes this.
  2. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Just saw Into Darkness a couple days ago and must say pretty good. My dislikes with it were largely nitpicks. Still very excited to see an Abrams Star wars film! Too bad Alice Eve is taken by Trek though . . . :(

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  3. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    I hope he could give Amy Jo Johnson a role in ST, they had quite good relationship.

4. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    YAY some news! Even if its obvious

5. man of steel

man of steel Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 8, 2013
    "I think that the thing is so big and so massive to some many people that the key to moving forward is honoring but not revering what went before from jj abrams
    JESUS BE PRAISED for now

6. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    I like what Abrams is saying about the whole "Honor the past but dont rever what went before". I would HATE it if the Sequel trilogy became one big nostalgia fest that didn't move forward but instead kept trying to stay in the past cause some fans/audiences want more of the same. While nostalgia is good and seeing some things again is nice, I want to see new things that move the story forward not backwards.

7. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    JJ only comments on the cat's that are already out of the bag. :)

8. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    Anybody notice how he refused to answer whether the EU is used. Thats...interesting. I'm taking that as either "Its not involved and he doesn't want to cause an internet panic" or "It IS involved but he's not supposed to say yet" or most likely "He's too secretive to let us know" :)

mes520 likes this.
  9. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Well it's also a huge hint to what'll happen with the EU... I mean forcing the films to conform to that is a huge case of 'revering' what came before too.

10. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Good point.

11. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    I view his no comment thing as mostly a desire not to answer any questions about the story of the film. JJ is so protective of his secrets that, even though answering about the EU wouldn't necessarily confirm or deny any story specifics, I think it would be all to easy to say something he shouldn't, so he just went with a "no comment".

As for the part of honoring, but not revering... that (potentially) eliminates my biggest fear about the film.

I love the OT more than the PT, but I love the saga first. And any additional films released as parts of the saga NEED to be thematically relevant and important to the saga as a whole. And that can only happen if the films aren't afraid to contribute significantly new things to the saga, both stylistically and thematically. Just as the PT was a different beast than the OT, so should the Sequel trilogy be different from both.

That's not to say the new films can't have the things we all love about Star Wars. Indeed, the mere concept of bringing back the Big Trio ensures that some attempt will be made to recapture that "old magic" of the OT that so many are clamoring for. But a series of films whose sole creative genesis was nostalgia for A New Hope would be disastrous. I think JJ understands that, and hopefully so does everyone else working on the film.

12. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    The ST is going to be different than the previous trilogies. It can't help from being different, It's being made by different people. No one makes films exactly like someone else. Abrams came close to Spielberg's style with Super 8, but even that had some distinct Abramsness, and so will Episode VII.

Darth Claire and Darth_Pevra like this.
  13. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    Agree. I dont expect this to be exactly like the past films, I want it to be something that fits in the saga but still has things unique to itself. Coarse I know that might piss some fans off who basicly want the sequel trilogy to be "Just like the old days" but I dont think thats possible anymore. The actors are older, technology is different, audiences want new things, ect. IMO the Originals are like lightning in a bottle. If you try to recreate it too much, it probably wont end well. Might as well try something new than attempt to reclaim a past glory.

14. man of steel

Jun 8, 2013
    If Abrams tries to recapture the suppose magic of the OT how much money you think it's going to make this is my prediction
    Budget:250 million
    Box office:300 million
    Pretty disappointing but deserving

15. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    Overly reliance on Nostalgia will probably satisfy the hardcore fanboys.....but how much will it satisfy general audiences? Thats what we need to consider...the general audience who probably doesn't care if they return to some planet briefly mentioned, or some robot assasin from one scene returns, or if all the actors *outside of the big 3* return. They just want cool action and characters we like. I just have this feeling that nostalgia wont work as well on the newer audiences than it does on people who have grown up on the original trilogy especially if they rely A LOT on it. Look at Superman Returns, that movie is basicly a love-letter to the Reeves films and lets just say....that franchise got rebooted. I bet the Reeves fans were happy, but the general audience wasn't. Do we want a repeat of that in the Sequel trilogy? Something that satisfies the hardcore fans, but in the end turns off average audiences? No...not really.

16. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    the overall look is very important..... its got to look, sound and flow with 1 - 6 as they are calling it 7, i think this will be the most interesting thing, make no mistake this is GL's story no matter how hands off he is

17. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm a Reeve fan and I was NOT happy. That movie had a terrible script, bad characterization, and couldn't even get the effects of Kryptonite right. Sigh.

18. man of steel

Jun 8, 2013
    The reeves fans were not happy ms Claire

19. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    Ok then.....SOME Reeves fans were happy. ;)

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  20. man of steel

Jun 8, 2013
    General audience and Lucas's vision should come first and foremost if if it pisses off fans

21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I betcha we're gonna get the first Star Wars movie shot on film since 1983! (There will be IMAX, cuz that's a thing now, and Abrams will probably shoot the rest on film cuz he feels its important). I don't mind either way, just find it a little odd.

22. man of steel

Jun 8, 2013
    If that's the case then it's going to look like ****

SuperWatto likes this.
  23. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Film always looks fine to me.

24. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    1. Phantom Menace was shot on film, actually.

2. I doubt they'll switch back to film. Unless they want to experiment with imax. I think it would be too much of a slap in the face to George Lucas.

I could list you the endless number of exceedingly gorgeous films that have been shot on film, but do I really need to?

25. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012

Derp, forgot that about TPM. But while I'm 99% certain there will be IMAX (which is on film), I can see Abrams keeping it on film for the non-IMAX stuff just because he seems to really like it. I know Lucas ushered in the digital filmmaking with the cameras in Ep. 2 & 3 but I would think with Abrams running the show he's going to get to do what he wants in that department which will be one of the little ironies with our new Mouse overlords.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.