main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST JJ Abrams to direct Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kuestmaster, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Arapsis

Darth_Arapsis Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2013
    You saw the contract?

The fans would accepted any kind of SW if it was of decent quality. I mean a good blockbuster.

2. d_arblay

d_arblay Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2005
    You assume that "decent quality" is objective here.

3. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
  4. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
  5. Dr. Chaos

Dr. Chaos Jedi Padawan star 1

May 19, 2013
    I highly doubt that.

Looking at that recent interview with Lucas, he's being pretty hands off about the whole thing. He sold the company and he's not making Episode VII, Abrams is and it sounds like Lucas is more than happy to chill at home and let JJ do his thing.

Lucas is starting to move on, it's a good thing. He's ensured the series will have a future with or without him.

6. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    So because you thought Transformers was a mess, the millions of people who enjoyed it automatically agree with you?

You know your statements are opinions and not fact right?

You can dislike something that MANY people around the world actually like you know. Generally box office results show whether a movie is well liked or not. Never said it said anything about the quality. That is a different matter completely, but still a subjective matter as well.

Every franchise has it's mediocre movies etc... but mediocre doesn't mean everyone hates them, in fact there are many mediocre movies that tons of people love.... Titanic, Avatar...I can't stand those movies myself, but I won't deny that it's long since been proven that many people still love those films.

BTW - I agree with what was said earlier by A Chorus of Disapproval - if ANH was made in 1999, there would have been no sequels. It spawned sequels more for it's revolutionary style at the time than overall quality of film. I love the style of film it is myself, but without the Star Wars name and how big it is in this day and age because of the franchise origins changing the face of film making etc, without the following that was spawned by that revolutionary nature, it's hard to see how ANH would have ever had a sequel in modern times - just as TPM without the same support as you pointed out.

7. Darth_Arapsis

Darth_Arapsis Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2013
    History will agree with me. i don't think Transformers will be well regarded 10, 20 years from now or as a great movie. I am not going to say that's just my opinion every time i say something, you are free to disagree.

WatTamborWoo likes this.
  8. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Those with a negative opinion on anything are always more vocal about said thing, thus you will only here how bad something is down the road if it's considered mediocre at all. Thus a middle of the road but decent film such as TPM gets ripped even though many people still enjoy it anyway.

Jedi Merkurian and VMeran like this.
  9. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003

yeah , I already said it was better , but the regular screens are just showing hi-def video anyway . and the resolution in these LIemax screens isn't as good as the proper Imax , it isn't just about screen size .

I can categorically state I'm not lying , it's my opinion therfore I'm pretty well placed to know it .
    yes you can see the difference when it switches to Imax , but it's all a matter of degree , I'd say the picture quality of a well projected 2D 35mm film or especially in 70mm is better than all the 3D/digital/Liemax efforts .

proper Imax in 2d is great , Liemax in 3D no thanks .

10. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Frank_TJ_Mackey Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2000
    it would would have worked in 1999 as well.....i enjoy the prequels very much...moreso in the last few years since I had children of my own.

The prequels are children movies.....you really need to watch them with children glasses to enjoy them....the same way I watch the Clone Wars series...ROTS maybe less for children....but that's because Lucas thought he needed to go very dark for the final movie.

However....ANH...while targetting the children.....was made for adults as well....no nine-years character....no Jar Jar.....a timeless adventure a la Errol Flynn.

The Phatom Menance will become a timeless movie because it's part of the SW saga. ANH is a timeless movie....not a Star Wars timeless movie. The Phantom Menance is Huckleberry Finn, not Errol Flynn.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  11. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Dec 6, 2000
    I don't know your circle of friends....but all my friends and aquaintances are not really fond of TPM and AOTC.....will agree that ROTS could pass as a really great movie since it's the movie that answers all the questions.

They went to see TPM and AOTC because they were fans of the OT......but most of them were turned off by this new SW within the first 15 mins (Jar Jar).

I think that Abrams, Kasdan and company knows that we want adventure again...that thrill......less 9 years old, jar jar, politics and more Luke Skywalker & Leia swinging across the bridge with stormtroopers shooting at them kind of timeless shot. Real romantic adventure. Scene like the Sarlacc pit kind of thrill. ROTJ is not perfect either, but no scene in cinema gives me more adrenaline than that scene. At that time, the only thing that I wanted was to became Luke Skywalker. Erol Flynn kind of flair.

Anakin has no moment like this one. You could argue that the podrace scene in TPM is in the same category, but it's goes on for at least 4-5 mins too long and it's aimed at my children.

Abrams will give us scene for SW fans. 10 to If you are 10 or 99 years old, it won't matter.

Abrams only mission is to reach that overdose of adrenaline feeling again.

12. FRAGWAGON

Nov 3, 2012
    The great thing about the prequels is that it had the pure kinetic drive of the OT, the visionary art direction and set pieces, the Galactic juxtaposed with the personal, AND it gave us the political Machiavellian drama we've been waiting to see.

That with the music.....the magic came back, baby. It never lost it.

13. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I think the film will be pretty lame if Abrams only mission is to reach an "overdose of adrenaline." If he wants to do Star Trek 3, he can do Star Trek 3. Star Wars is about more than that to me, though. Thrilling action is certainly a large part, but it's also about quietly effective character moments, painterly visuals, relevant themes, and unapologetic fantasy elements that aren't trying oh so hard to come across as gritty or hip.

Darth Chiznuk and spicer like this.
  14. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Dec 6, 2000
    no...it has not the kinetic drive of the OT, it has CGI kinetic drive...too much color everywhere and the characters get lost. The personal is not exposed since Anakin is never once likeable, but hopefully Qui-Gon, Ben and Yoda are. The problem is that Anakin is the main character.

The machiavellian drama is there...but get lost in some mumbo jumbo confederation trade scandal that is too complicated for such a personal drama series.

I think JJ and Kathleen will get as far away as they can from that and will push the movies toward a more spiritual overall story.

15. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Dec 6, 2000
    man....AOTC and much of ROTS are what Star Trek 3 could be, but worse.

What I meant with an oversodse of adrenaline (at least, if you watched ROTJ) is that pure excitement feeling of grandeur during the action scene....with JW music, Luke Salute to Artoo and the coherent battle that follow.

With your statement below, you must be a prequels hater.

The prequels, I repeat I like them for what they are, are interesting. But there's no scenes that reach the peak level of adventure (and yes adrenaline) that you will find in the scenes with Luke on the Sarlacc pit, the Rancor one, the battle in the trench in ANH.

Anakin doesn't get that moment of glory in the prequels, but does in the Clone Wars series a few times.

Unfortunately, 98% of the moviegoers will never get to see that side of Anakin.

I think JJ, Arndt and KK will find a common ground that will reach 100% of the moviegoers that want to see a SW movie with a brain, a soul and unforgettable characters. No trade routes disputes and unlikeable main character.

16. FRAGWAGON

Nov 3, 2012
    I saw a different set of movies, Frankie. Agree to disagree.

17. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    The speeder chase in AOTC is my favorite heroic action sequence in the series. Sure, it plays out a tad bit differently than good ol' lovable farmboy stomping alien butt, but fortunately I didn't want or expect Anakin to copy Luke's heroic mold.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  18. FRAGWAGON

Nov 3, 2012
    That's how I felt. I loved that they took the risk to give us something different. The bonus was how it still gave me that magical, heartwarming feel of the originals.

Hopefully Abrams and company will take that risk.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  19. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
  20. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    I can't wait to learn who the next "Star Wars romance" is. I hope its something different from the other two so its not just a rehash of Han/Leia or Anakin/Padme. I want something fresh, original, and soo fluffy and angsty that I die in the theatre because my heart exploded [face_love]

21. WatTamborWoo

WatTamborWoo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 22, 2011
    I particulary like the love story between Anakin and Padme. It is one of "courtly love" which is a very stylised and patterned form of conduct between lovers that was idealised in medieval literature. This is then transported to the Space Opera of Star Wars. It was given the characteristic of Forbidden Love. Seeing that done in SW was fabulous. It helped "unpack" the attachments that Anakin could not let go and would ultimately lead to the tragedy of Darth Vader. In fact alot of the relationship between Anakin and Padme was symbolic (through the intercutting of other scenes which has been mentioned in this great thread about the visuals of the PT: http://boards.theforce.net/threads/favorite-visuals-of-the-pt.50011969/page-4#post-50791604 ).

Obviously it does not need to be done again. Something new that is easily recognisable for people this time round maybe the right way to go.

22. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    I'm wondering what "type" of romance we will see. We've already seen the "tension filled" romance of Han and Leia and that "shakespearean romance" of Anakin and Padme, it makes you wonder what we can expect. What classic romance type have we yet to see that could fit the sequel trilogy. My mind instantly thinks of the "Hero/Villain" romance (especially if either the villain or hero is female) which has become popular lately but IDK if they'd want to do that because its a bit predictable. Horray for more questions that we wont get answers to anytime soon.
    but I think we can all safely assume the new central romance will be about one of the new heroes. I can't wait to see somebody here just assume the romance is about Luke and some new character/Mara cause we think this whole trilogy will revolve around him no matter how old he is. [face_laugh]

Jedi Merkurian and Carbon1985 like this.
  23. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm just glad this has been said officially so people will stop worrying about Abrams trying to rewrite Arndt.

24. Bad_Feeling

Bad_Feeling Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    Created a separate thread for this but the mods want it in here for some reason:

George Lucas is acting as a creative consultant on "Star Wars: Episode VII," but he hasn't done any consulting. At least not yet. In a new interview with Access Hollywood, Lucas said his contact with "Episode VII" director J.J. Abrams has been nonexistent.

"I have not spoken to J.J.," Lucas revealed at the 2013 Daytime Emmy Awards. "He's been busy with 'Star Trek.' I'm sure he'll let me know when he's got some questions. It's all going well. Kathy tells me it's working out great." Kathy in that sentence is Kathleen Kennedy, the current president of Lucasfilm and the person responsible for getting Abrams onboard for the sequel.

"Please do 'Star Wars,'" Kennedy said she asked Abrams, after the director initially said he wouldn't direct "Episode VII." The rest, as they say, is history.

"Episode VII" is set for release in 2015; Disney, which owns Lucasfilm now, has not set an official date for the film's release.

Source: http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/3460124?utm_hp_ref=entertainment

It'll get lost in the shuffle now which is real shame because there's some interesting things to discuss regarding this.

25. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    The "For some reason" is because it does not warrant its own thread if it is about JJ Abrams directing Episode VII. It would be a shame if this thread got lost in the shuffle of a bunch of redundant threads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.